Store sale

WesleyWestland

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but isn't the Making History Expansion supposed to be on sale in the KSP store as well? It shows 50% off in the Steam store, but the Steam button on the KSP store isn't showing that either. I haven't transferred my copy of KSP to Steam, and it seems odd to me that they wouldn't give you the same discount on both platforms.

Maybe I should migrate to Steam, but I don't want the hour counter to confirm how many hours I waste playing KSP... :P

Not having a store account, I can't really help you with that.. but.  I'm not sure Squad has direct control over sales.  Over at GoG, KSP is 50% off, while MH is only 30% off.

If having an hour counter is really the only reason to not go to Steam, there's good news!  You don't need Steam to launch KSP, just to install it.  There's no DRM, so you can move the KSP directory to wherever you want, and launch it manually.  It won't increment any counters.

13 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Steam sales are not coordinated with Private Division. Steam decides when to have them and how much it's discounted. 

That doesn’t make any sense unless Steam is eating the lost revenue of the sale.

Also are you saying that Steam just happened to put a sale on for KSP the exact same day the expansion came out? That seems like a bit of a coincidence. 

11 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Also are you saying that Steam just happened to put a sale on for KSP the exact same day the expansion came out? That seems like a bit of a coincidence. 

Not really.  It sounds like marketing.

Someone who doesn't own KSP sees the robotics, says "That would be cool if the base game wasn't so expensive.  Oh, wait, it's on sale, I guess I will buy it now."

Instead of making $0, Steam sells both with a discount, and makes $X, where X > 0.

17 minutes ago, razark said:

Not really.  It sounds like marketing.

Someone who doesn't own KSP sees the robotics, says "That would be cool if the base game wasn't so expensive.  Oh, wait, it's on sale, I guess I will buy it now."

Instead of making $0, Steam sells both with a discount, and makes $X, where X > 0.

I agree if it was Private Division that decided to do it. It sounds like they didn’t though, as Vanamonde said they don’t have any control over sales. 

Or are you saying that Steam controls the marketing for every single game in their inventory?

Edited by MechBFP

15 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Or are you saying that Steam controls the marketing for every single game in their inventory?

No, I'm saying Steam controls the marketing of what Steam is selling.  Private Division doesn't enter the equation at all.

11 minutes ago, razark said:

No, I'm saying Steam controls the marketing of what Steam is selling.  Private Division doesn't enter the equation at all.

Well yes that is what I was meaning. 

Interesting, I didn’t know that. 

And people complain about the new Epic games store? Hilarious. 

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

What!? A retailer setting their own price for things they sell!? Next you'll tell me car dealers don't sell for MSRP.

It’s okay if the publisher is still making MRSP off each unit sold and Steam is eating the losses off the sale. Is that the case?

Edited by MechBFP

22 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Not having a store account, I can't really help you with that.. but.  I'm not sure Squad has direct control over sales.  Over at GoG, KSP is 50% off, while MH is only 30% off.

If having an hour counter is really the only reason to not go to Steam, there's good news!  You don't need Steam to launch KSP, just to install it.  There's no DRM, so you can move the KSP directory to wherever you want, and launch it manually.  It won't increment any counters.

Turns out I've been misreading ever since I first bought the game in 2015 and migrating to Steam is only possible for those that have had KSP since 2013, so that choice has been made for me. I guess I'll just have to wait for a discount to come along on the KSP store - or buy a separate Steam copy. With the discount KSP + Making History = €17.48, compared to Making History by itself being €14.99 on the KSP store. Oh well.

Edited by WesleyWestland

On 5/31/2019 at 11:40 AM, Vanamonde said:

Steam sales are not coordinated with Private Division. Steam decides when to have them and how much it's discounted. 

There's no way that's true. Steam can't just sell games for whatever price they feel like whenever they want, unless that was specifically agreed to by the publisher.

22 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

What!? A retailer setting their own price for things they sell!? Next you'll tell me car dealers don't sell for MSRP.

Retailers actually don't usually get to set their own prices unilaterally, they normally enter into an agreement with the product's manufacturer/label that rather strictly delineates the kind of pricing they can set and under what circumstances, etc.

20 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I don't know what to tell you, guys. But sometimes we moderators or you forum members are the first ones to inform Squad people of sales on the other platforms like Steam or GOG.com. 

I certainly don't doubt what you're saying is true, but the more reasonable explanation here would be that the forum-going Squad staff (devs, community managers) are not involved in the business/pricing decisions

On 5/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, MechBFP said:

It’s okay if the publisher is still making MRSP off each unit sold and Steam is eating the losses off the sale. Is that the case?

It’s not like Steam is buying at a fixed cost and has to clear their stock. They probably get a percentage. Amazon does the same thing with e-books.

”What? Don’t like it that we decide what price to sell it for? Don’t sign the contract.”

Big producers can set their own terms. Squad is not big.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.