[Breakign ground][Community]: Need BG tutorials

Good news: breaking ground introduce totally new element

Bad news: breaking ground introduce totally new elements

So I think we as a community should make some tutorials, and those that have access to the wiki can post it in there.

Specifically:

1. What each parameter for the robotic does
  2. Sample tutorial: making a prop engine
  3. Sample tutorial: Helicopter -- pick the simplest. In theory Coaxial Helicopter is simplest, but in practice I am still figuring it out
  4. Sample tutorial: "Walking" Dragline. I think this is the easiest "walker"
  5. Sample tutorial: 4+ leg walker
  6. Advance tutorial: bipedal walker.

---

Quick blurbs that we can posts as "notes"

• be careful with autostruts, and even rigid attachments. If something doesn't turn, disable autostrut -- it can be either props or just normal servo/hinges. Also, rigid attachment affect the speed of a DLC-prop.
  • Swept wings does not affect drag or stress on the wings for the most part
  •  Collapsing wings such that they are flushed against body, however, does.
  •  the motors in BG don't seem to work too well for making props unless you're going to Eve, and even then you only want to operate during the day.
  •  Contra-rotate propers: Given a base component, one is mount on top by node, while another is mount radial to the base component, and then use the tool to move (offset) such that it's above the other motor. Do not put one motor above another by nodes
Edited by Jestersage

Would like to see some tutorials too. Trying to make some servos work for a tilt wing and i don't have a clue.

I can make them turn from the action menu, 1 by 1, which is completely unfeasible. Trying to map them to axis groups seems to do nothing, and half the time they seem to pick the wrong symmetry even when they were working previously. Probs going to hold off using the robotic parts until smarter people than me have got it all worked out.

I agree with the OP. The mechanics of using a lot of the items that come in BG are sufficiently different from the base game, that some kind of tutorial or manual would be a real help.

I've been playing the game a long time and done a lot of different things in it, but the robotics and the deployable science parts were still a case of "ok... now how do I use these" for me at least. I was able to make some reasonable assumptions and do things with them, but it involved more guesswork than there really should be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.