"The Princess of Duna" - A Flash Kerman Adventure

Just Jim

On 6/4/2019 at 2:19 AM, Dragon5 said:

when will the second chapter come out?

On 6/4/2019 at 4:55 AM, fulgur said:

DON'T POKE THE BEARS WRITERS

17 hours ago, Just Jim said:

It's cool, you're new here.

But yeah, that's one of the biggest unwritten rules in the fan fiction area, do not poke the writers. I don't really mind now and then, it just tells me people are interested. But it could get really annoying if everyone did it all the time.

Also, it's totally my job! ;D Not really, but it's a bit of a running joke among us writers! At least, I think it's still a joke... *nervous sweat*

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It’s like Flash Gordon meets John Carter of Mars... :)

I was going to say something about that, this title seems to match the latter instead. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone... I was super busy last week, but I've also been rolling this around in my head.

And I'm sorry... but I find I'm kind of stuck. 

Not for lack of something to write... but how to do it. I'm just not sure how to proceed. If I should do this as sort of a Flash parody, or go off in my own direction, and just do something more loosely based on the original? I did some research, and it turns out the Flash Gordon movie is only loosely based on the original. In fact, I found out in an ironic twist, there is actually a "Flash Gordon's trip to Mars", from 1938.

The movie from the 1980's is only some of the original mush-mashed together into 2 hours.

And as far as John Carter

On 6/5/2019 at 11:19 AM, Angel-125 said:

You know, I've been wracking my brains out, and I don't know if I've seen this or not... I remember the book, but not the movie. 

But it's on tomorrow, and I've already set my DVR to record it. I'll watch and make sure I'm not plagiarizing it too much... lol...

So back to my problem... I'm just not sure what direction to go... Something like Emiko, which is based on a lot of campy sci-fi?? Or even more goofy, like a spaceballs style, which roasted pretty much every sci-fi movie ever made?

Or cut loose and do something maybe a little darker and more serious...

I'm open to suggestions...

Edited by Just Jim

30 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Hey everyone... I was super busy last week, but I've also been rolling this around in my head.

And I'm sorry... but I find I'm kind of stuck. 

Not for lack of something to write... but how to do it. I'm just not sure how to proceed. If I should do this as sort of a Flash parody, or go off in my own direction, and just do something more loosely based on the original? I did some research, and it turns out the Flash Gordon movie is only loosely based on the original. In fact, I found out in an ironic twist, there is actually a "Flash Gordon's trip to Mars", from 1938.

The movie from the 1980's is only some of the original mush-mashed together into 2 hours.

And as far as John Carter

You know, I've been wracking my brains out, and I don't know if I've seen this or not... I remember the book, but not the movie. 

But it's on tomorrow, and I've already set my DVR to record it. I'll watch and make sure I'm not plagiarizing it too much... lol...

So back to my problem... I'm just not sure what direction to go... Something like Emiko, which is based on a lot of campy sci-fi?? Or even more goofy, like a spaceballs style, which roasted pretty much every sci-fi movie ever made?

Or cut loose and do something maybe a little darker and more serious...

I'm open to suggestions...

My suggestion: Watch the 1980 Flash Gordon movie, then Disney's John Carter, as "research" (heh heh heh) and then decide. Maybe also Galaxy Quest.

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

My suggestion: Watch the 1980 Flash Gordon movie, then Disney's John Carter, as "research" (heh heh heh) and then decide. Maybe also Galaxy Quest.

haha... I like Galaxy Quest...

Oh, and I'm now a huge... and I mean HUGE... fan of The Orville.  Season 2 was epic, and completely sold me.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:19 AM, Angel-125 said:

Oh wow... yeah... I see it now... 

I really did (unintentionally) plagiarized the crap out of the Princess from John Carter... lol... Not just the marriage, but her personality is exactly what I want for Val. I had no clue.

8 hours ago, Dragon5 said:

I think that that's funny, but I don't get it.

Yeah, you would have to follow it. The dad in the comic, Ted, is way more locked into his childhood than I am... lol... His biggest wish last year for summer vacation was visiting a Kaiju Theme park... seriously.

The whole adventure ran for a few weeks.

Spoiler

Q0S6Uce.jpg

vP0iafc.jpg

So when today's comic turned out to be a Flash parody, I nearly fell over myself laughing.

Edited by Just Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere in here is a Tripod struggling to get out... :)

Personal opinion - this setup is made for light-hearted, campy sci-fi parody. But I ain’t the one writing it so my opinion remains just that. :)

Edited by KSK

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Pretorian28715 said:

@Just Jim Flash / War of the Worlds / John Carter on Mars / Total Recall / SpaceBalls campy mash up.

Is my suggestion, waiting to see what you come up with to keep us happy while we wait for Saga II.....

I still think that Saga 2 will come in KSP 2, but that's just my opinion