Surface features are easy to mod (feature spoilers)

I was easily able to duplicate and rename the Laythe geysers (at the same time I duplicated Eeloo Bergs, but haven't confirmed it worked). Kerbin is an entire earth like planet, I figured it should have some geysers. Even the description of the laythe geysers indicates that geysers exist on kerbin (but are rare).

So I restricted them to a single biome of kerbin, one of the least visited (I'm guessing)

Kerbin's Badlands now have Geysers in my game:

uOn0gjY.png

izNakiP.png

2B3nWW4.png

TSzv0M5.png

So... I'd like to see a guide for all the surface features, maybe some others wouldn't be out of place on kerbin...

Maybe add basalt formations to the mountains?

I haven't seen them yet though... I have many ideas for what I will add to my mod planet Rald when kopernicus updates

• 2 weeks later...

Copying existing ones to new planets? Easy.

Making entirely new features? I don't know, but d modelling and texturing would be required.

One thing I haven't tried yet is using a separate file to add them (as you'd want for a mod). I've been directly modifying the original one (with the ability to revert to the original).

I ended up getting rid of basalt formations on the badlands. In my game, the badlands have geysers and volcanic rocks (from eve). The poles have Icebergs and ice chunks (from Eeloo).

I was thinking of putting basalt formations in the mountains... I'm not sure. I think the grasslands/highlands/mountains could use small features that kerbals can pick up (like the small ice chunks and volcanic rocks).

I'm thinking meteorites (as found on dres) in the desert. I'd like to have surface features for every biome on Kerbin. Most other bodies have surface features on every biome.

17 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I ended up getting rid of basalt formations on the badlands. In my game, the badlands have geysers and volcanic rocks (from eve). The poles have Icebergs and ice chunks (from Eeloo).

I was thinking of putting basalt formations in the mountains... I'm not sure. I think the grasslands/highlands/mountains could use small features that kerbals can pick up (like the small ice chunks and volcanic rocks).

Basalt can go anywhere EXCEPT the mountains.  It's a volcanic rock that's fairly runny, so doesn't make tall, steep mountains.  It makes lava flows and low, wide mountains.  Given enough time and effort, however, it can build the largest known volcanic structures on both Earth and Mars.  The Siberian Traps, the Deccan Traps, the Big Island of Hawaii, and Olympus Mons and its satellites.  The Big Island and Olympus Mons are quite tall, but they're also extremely wide for their height compared to volcanoes made of stiffer types of lava.

I'm thinking meteorites (as found on dres) in the desert. I'd like to have surface features for every biome on Kerbin. Most other bodies have surface features on every biome.

As I understand things, the Poles would be a good place for meteorites.  It seems they find quite a few out on the ice floes, where they're quite easy to see.  On Earth, the deserts of the US SW have a large number of big basaltic lava flows.

Edited by Geschosskopf

On 6/1/2019 at 1:52 AM, KerikBalm said:

I was easily able to duplicate and rename the Laythe geysers (at the same time I duplicated Eeloo Bergs, but haven't confirmed it worked). Kerbin is an entire earth like planet, I figured it should have some geysers. Even the description of the laythe geysers indicates that geysers exist on kerbin (but are rare).

So I restricted them to a single biome of kerbin, one of the least visited (I'm guessing)

uOn0gjY.png

izNakiP.png

2B3nWW4.png

TSzv0M5.png

But wait that's illegal!

On 6/1/2019 at 3:52 AM, KerikBalm said:

uOn0gjY.png

izNakiP.png

2B3nWW4.png

TSzv0M5.png

How?

• 11 months later...

See my post here:

I just made a new RocDefs.cfg file in my personal mod folder. You can also directly edit the rocDefs.cfg file with some cop+paste+rename the features and change the body and biome that its supposed to appear in/on. It worked right out of the box with no mods, but it didn't work for planets added with kopernicus. I don't know if they work with Kopernicus 1.8 now, but I was provided with a .dll (not sure if I can/should share it) that makes planets added with kopernicus also able to get surface features.

Edited by KerikBalm

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.