Why does Jeb always smile?

Ryan.Bayguzin

12 hours ago, mkosmo said:

There are times I look down and certainly see emotions other than smiles.

Quite.

Who among us has not killed Jeb dozens, hundreds, even thousands of times?  He's respawned or been reverted so many times by so many players that he's no longer sure whether he's in this world or the next, especially considering the many parallel universes where this happens to him.  All he knows is that next time he become aware, he'll be strapped into what is very likely yet another in a very long line of rocket-powered coffins/crematories/atomizers.  He thus usually thinks he's in Hell and such horrible, highly painful, and endlessly repeated fates are his punishment for misdeeds he no longer remembers because this continuous series of brief, violent existences has been going on so long.

But he's powerless to stop this recycling.  Being a practical Kerbal, he thus lies back and tries to enjoy it as best he can.  And by doing so, he fights back against The Man/The Kraken/The Travelling Circus/The Whatever that has condemned him to this fate.  He's been killed in every imaginable way nearly an infinite number of times each so is onto the usual tricks of Fate.  He can spot these at a glance from long, very painful experience.  And, of course, this experience has driven him quite mad.

This is why he smiles.  He thinks, "Haha, this wannabe SSTO has too much drag and not enough oxidizer so will drown me in Booster-Bottom Bay."  Or, "This rocket will hit Max Q at the wrong attitude and break up, and the 2nd stage will plow through my capsule.  Many junior Boffins will hang for this failure."  And then he thinks, "Been there 567,342,856 times, done that backwards 445,352,041 times.  What else do you bastids (meaning the gods) have to throw at me?"   And he smiles to spite the gods that cursed him.  Or just because he's insane.  But I think there's always some spite in it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.