How to use the ground experiments?

2 minutes ago, AHHans said:

That's up to you.

My station on Vall - that had only intermittent connectivity via a station in orbit around Jool, just inside Tylo(*) - will get a visit soon. Well, soon-ish, not before my mining lander arrived at Jool and maybe also only after the battery upgrade for the rover arrives and I can finally use the scanner arm. But as you can see, I need to land again at Vall anyhow.

(*)I didn't know that Vall is tidally locked to Jool, and thus that the relay on a lower orbit around Jool is never within reach of the station....

If I were to position a Relay around Ike/Duna, then pick up and put the unit(s) back down, we're all good, right?  based on your post, there is a limited amount of time they can be out of contact before they just give up.  Part of the challenge, then, is to place them in a way that they will be able to connect, and have power.  

Actually, the current Save that has my team in Ike orbit is at a point that the science unit hasn't collected anything yet.  But I don't have a relay on my return craft either.

2 minutes ago, MPDerksen said:

If I were to position a Relay around Ike/Duna, then pick up and put the unit(s) back down, we're all good, right? 

Yes, but as @a2soup wrote in the (currently) last post in the thread there: if a Kerbal picks up a unit that already has the full science, then they pick up the science and can carry that back to the KSC.

1 hour ago, AHHans said:

Yes, but as @a2soup wrote in the (currently) last post in the thread there: if a Kerbal picks up a unit that already has the full science, then they pick up the science and can carry that back to the KSC.

I saw that.  My team was home when i saw the problem.  My previous save (with them still around Ike), there is nothing to collect...

So since I needed to wait for the Xfer window anyway, once it had 100% I landed, then got back into LIO (Low Ike Orbit :) ), and then went home.  Collected about $1.2 million for my various contracts and didn't have to "cheat".  

Edited by MPDerksen

1 hour ago, MPDerksen said:

I saw that.  My team was home when i saw the problem.  My previous save (with them still around Ike), there is nothing to collect...

Well, you wrote about having a Kerbal pick up the units...

In case I wasn't clear: I would send another crew to collect the science. But that's me, there are other options. (E.g. use the "previous save" and keep the crew there to collect the data.)

13 minutes ago, AHHans said:

I would send another crew to collect the science. 

oh, okay.  I didn't catch that.  When I landed and noticed the issue, I was troubleshooting by looking at my quicksaves to figure out the problem.  I ended up never saving the point in the game where I was home.  I picked up at the latest possible point, where I had placed the units and the team was up in Ike Orbit waiting for my Xfer window.  While RPing, I don't back up when I make a mistake, usually.  If I didn't have enough dV to land a second time and make it home, I probably would have sent a probe-based refueller.  And I really only used the ALT-F12 option once, when the contract was to position a Sentinel in an orbit that didn't exist....

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Modules slide relative to each other, or get eaten by the Kraken, over time.

:0.0: Kraken? Are you talking about a literal giant space squid? or is this analogy to which you mean bugs?

I think i'm in over my head. I'm trying to figure out how to use this new expansion and I'm completely lost.

• 9 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 8:27 PM, Potatomans said:

Wait how do you upgrade it

If you meant how to increase science/energy output: place them with a Kerbal of the corresponding specialization (scientist/engineer) that has already ranked  up.

Edited by KerbMav

• 1 month later...

Maybe I’m daft, but I can’t figure out how to actually deploy the equipment.  I placed all of the pieces on the flats on minnimus, I have a relay for comm net access, and I have both a scientist and engineer standing there.  But, there’s no button for “deploy experiment” or anything like that.  The right click windows for the experiments only have options to aim camera and reset camera.

I feel like I’m missing something so obvious that nobody mentions it.  Any clues?

Edited by kayagoban

• 9 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 12:50 AM, Aelipse said:

No sliding! I was pleasantly surprised to learn that neither of my experiments have drifted anywhere

Lucky you, on KSP 1.12.3 and an upscaled planet pack they do after loading the scene where they have been deployed before.

I like™ it seeing old bugs coming back. Kinda retro feeling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.