Suggestion: Get rid of locked Autostruts

I've already encountered situations where a locked autostrut prevents my robotics from working. I don't know why they think its a good idea to take control away from the player in some of these cases, but I am strongly in favor of getting rid of it.

13 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I don't know why they think its a good idea to take control away from the player in some of these cases

Well, prior to BG, having wheels autostrutted was a good idea, as they don't "move".  But now, yeah, automatic autostruts should remain for those parts that required them before, but have a tweakable to turn them off individually as needed. 

37 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Or better yet have pistons and stuff work in spite of autostruts. Or at least turn autostruts off while robotics stuff is moving.

My ire may have been misplaced.

When I wrote that, I took on faith what others had said.

I just attached airplane landing gear to an assemblage of hinges and pistons and the hinges and pistons worked perfectly fine, moving the landing gear.

In fact, I see no indication that they're actually autostrutted to anything at all.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I just attached airplane landing gear to an assemblage of hinges and pistons and the hinges and pistons worked perfectly fine, moving the landing gear.

In fact, I see no indication that they're actually autostrutted to anything at all.

Does the same thing happen with rover wheels?

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

Does the same thing happen with rover wheels?

Sort of. I'll admit I didn't try it earlier because I didn't see why one autostrut would be different from anotehr but the large wheels are acting *different* than the landing gear. Though, they're most assuredly not always locked. In fact, @KerikBalm said it best:

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Its not all the time, but when it happens, it's very frustrating

I had it happen, then I reverted and now the craft acts exactly as I intended and as you'd expect. I can't guarantee it's always when reverting but that's interesting. And then when I re-loaded the craft entirely (I made a slight edit) it was fine on the first load.

I'm convinced right now that the intention is that the autostruts should work with robotics in a logical way and they do sometimes, but other times they do not. If I can find out a consistent reason or at least a consistent way to get it to happen, I'll submit a bug report. If another does the same, I'll happily add myself as another tester and then upvote it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I may have a reason to why autostruts sometimes disable robotics -

Autostrut to heaviest apparently allows parts to move under robotic power, while Autostrut to Root and Grandparents disable it.

I had this situation when i was making a prop of my own. It spun under Heaviest, but not under Root or Grandparent.

6 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

I may have a reason to why autostruts sometimes disable robotics -

Autostrut to heaviest apparently allows parts to move under robotic power, while Autostrut to Root and Grandparents disable it.

I had this situation when i was making a prop of my own. It spun under Heaviest, but not under Root or Grandparent.

I've had folding wings fail to work because they had landing gear on them, and those use Heaviest.

From what I've seen, autostrut tries to avoid strutting across robotic parts if you set it up manually. That could explain why locked autostrut sometimes works. I'm not sure why it breaks, though, or if it's only a problem with locked autostrut. For all I know manual autostrut breaks too, and I just haven't seen it yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.