Keyboard freezes regulary

Hello, 

Clean fresh install of KSP 1.7.1 with MH and BG on windows 10.

When I'm in the game, the keyboard freezes several times per hour.

This means I can't do any keyboard inputs, not even escape or anything else. The game keeps running and the only thing I can do is end it with ALT-F4 or taskmanager.

Switching to desktop and back to the game does not help.

When switching to desktop the keyboard works fine in all other programs

Anyone else?

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

@Kergarin From some google search: https://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/135514823817269550/

try  Alt+F12, bring up the debug and check input locks, or Shift+Alt+F12 to clear the locks

Are you on Fullscreen or Windowed Borderless?

Maybe try to change this and see if it helps.

56 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

This is the usual suspect in KSP when you keyboard quits responding. 

Thanks for your answers.

Sadly also ALT+F12 does nothing. It's not just the controls but all keyboard inputs including ESC and so on.

I never ever had this issue.

No mods installed at all. It's a clean and fresh install I made yesterday with Making History and Breaking Ground

21 minutes ago, Kergarin said:

Sadly also ALT+F12 does nothing. It's not just the controls but all keyboard inputs including ESC and so on.

Well since you can Alt-F4, it's not the entire keyboard.    Try (shift/ctrl)-Alt-F12.   Nvidea something or other takes control of the Alt-F12 combo and you need to use an additional modifier to kick it off. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Well since you can Alt-F4, it's not the entire keyboard.    Try (shift/ctrl)-Alt-F12.   Nvidea something or other takes control of the Alt-F12 combo and you need to use an additional modifier to kick it off.

I've meant the entire Keyboard regarding KSP. Inputs to all other programs work, Alt-F4 is sent to windows, not to KSP.

I can alt Alt-F12 without problems before the error occurs, and don't have nvidia installed.

I don't know if this might be related to Breaking Ground's new axis groups or electric motors? I was using both everytime the error occurred. I have to say it's the only thing I did in this install so far, can't tell if it also happens when I just fly rockets as usual. Will have to check but short on time.

Edited by Kergarin

9 minutes ago, Kergarin said:

I've meant the entire Keyboard regarding KSP. Inputs to all other programs work, Alt-F4 is sent to windows, not to KSP.

I can alt Alt-F12 without problems before the error occurs, and don't have nvidia installed.

I don't know if this might be related to Breaking Ground's new axis groups or electric motors? I was using both everytime the error occurred. (have to say it's to only thing I did in this install so far, can't tell if it also happens when I just fly rockets as usual. Will have to check but short on time.

If you can easily reproduce it have Alt+f12 ->Input Locks open before it happens and try to Clear Input logs and see what the console says.

Also try to reset your Key Bindings to default...maybe something is messed up there?

Hopefully its not a bug :d

Edited by Boyster

6 minutes ago, Boyster said:

If you can easily reproduce it have Alt+f12 ->Input Locks open before it happens and try to Clear Input logs and see what the console says.

Also try to reset your Key Bindings to default...maybe somethings is messed up there?

Hopefully its not a bug :d

I will see what I can do. Sometimes it requires half an hour to happen, sometimes 3 minutes.

To me it feels like a bug. (as well as parachutes in this version are opening AND fully deploy as soon as they touch atmosphere. For example at 50km on Duna)

3 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

The question is do you use the steam version?

if so, try checking the cache (chace???) of the game.

No, download version. 

Maybe I will try to download everything again and reinstall.

Edited by Kergarin

I've just started experiencing the issue as well, had it happen three separate times in the last hour.  No controls, not even Esc works for the menu.  My version is the steam client though. 

I’ve also encountered this but have yet to try alt + f12. Mine happens when I try to circularization burn, my 2nd stage engine will be firing and my keyboard work up until that point. If I right click on the engine to shut it down, the option to shut it down isn’t there, just thrust limiter (which even at 0 doesn’t slow it down). No keys from keyboard work, no controls or esc or anything. I have found that if I let the stage burn out and I’m not longer accelerating, I can return to KSC (by the blue button above altimeter) and then switch back to the vessel from there and the inputs work again. Started with BG.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy P said:

I’ve also encountered this but have yet to try alt + f12. Mine happens when I try to circularization burn, my 2nd stage engine will be firing and my keyboard work up until that point. If I right click on the engine to shut it down, the option to shut it down isn’t there, just thrust limiter (which even at 0 doesn’t slow it down). No keys from keyboard work, no controls or esc or anything. I have found that if I let the stage burn out and I’m not longer accelerating, I can return to KSC (by the blue button above altimeter) and then switch back to the vessel from there and the inputs work again. Started with BG.

Sounds similar. I also can use the mouse but it has no effect.

Which version are you on? Mods or dlc?

6 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Sounds similar. I also can use the mouse but it has no effect.

Let's go another step here, before we go open up a bug tracker.

Go play the game, and as soon as it goes sideways on you, post the logs to dropbox and link them here. 

I have had this happen only once. Same thing though, Alt+F12 does nothing. Didn’t try with ctrl as I didn’t know about it until now. 

For me it occurred during a manevour while I was in map mode. Only enough I could still press tilde to switch between planets, and click on them with the mouse but I couldn’t press ESC, or exit map mode, or do anything else like throttle. 

Edited by MechBFP

I also have this problem. It started with version 1.7.0, but in my first few hours with 1.7.1 (and the BG DLC) it happened quite often. <ESC> and <R-Shift>-<F12> did nothing. Right now it is behaving well, but when it happens again, I'll collect the logs.

I run the Steam version on Linux in a window.

I've had the same problem too.  I just had it when I was trying to rendezvous, though I've had it happen when I was launching.  The only thing that I found to stop it is close the game and restart.  I tried the shift-control-alt-f12 and it didn't do anything.  I run 1.7.1 on windows 10 with steam.

Edited by Rocketthrust
forgot steam

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it was related to this fix in 1.7.2, even it appeared a Little later in the game.
My crashing vessel had a rotor an wheels

* Fix NRE when starting a mission with Making History and Breaking Ground installed and vessel contains rotor and wheels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.