A Kerbal's Guide to our solar system

NovaSilisko

Regarding Egar: I suspect that many players would rather it resemble real-life Mars instead of being covered in ice. Poosh already exists to serve as the Ice World.

Donut dinosaur planet would also rock people\'s socks off.

You could get a think into locked lock orbit, where you have a thingy floating right in the middle of the donut.

While I haven\'t done the math for gravity done the math myself, I have done it for electric charges.

Lets take a look at those equations shall we.

The Electrostatic force for point bodies: C*q1*q2/R2

The Gravitational force for point bodies: -G*m1*m2/R2

The differences:

• [li]Minus sign: simply the direction of the force (for the point I\'m about to make, unimportant)[/li]
    [li]G & C: some constant value inherent to type of force (again unimportant)[/li]
    [li]q & m: some inherent property of the interacting objects (relatively unimportant)[/li]

With Gauss\'s Law:

Charges inside a conductor can redistribute themselves to be as even as possible. Furthermore any amount of charge (+ or -) can be placed inside an enclosed charged conductor and it will experience zero electrostatic force (as if the charge on the conductor was zero).

My point:

Considering the electrostatic force and the gravitational force behave essentially the same, if this Donut world (or a ring world) had uniformly (or very nearly) mass, the gravitational force anywhere inside the ring on the ring\'s central plane, would be zero (or very nearly).

While I haven\'t done the math for gravity done the math myself, I have done it for electric charges.

Lets take a look at those equations shall we.

The Electrostatic force for point bodies: C*q1*q2/R2

The Gravitational force for point bodies: -G*m1*m2/R2

The differences:

• [li]Minus sign: simply the direction of the force (for the point I\'m about to make, unimportant)[/li]
    [li]G & C: some constant value inherent to type of force (again unimportant)[/li]
    [li]q & m: some inherent property of the interacting objects (relatively unimportant)[/li]

With Gauss\'s Law:

Charges inside a conductor can redistribute themselves to be as even as possible. Furthermore any amount of charge (+ or -) can be placed inside an enclosed charged conductor and it will experience zero electrostatic force (as if the charge on the conductor was zero).

My point:

Considering the electrostatic force and the gravitational force behave essentially the same, if this Donut world (or a ring world) had uniformly (or very nearly) mass, the gravitational force anywhere inside the ring on the ring\'s central plane, would be zero (or very nearly).

You could even have a moon that passes through the hole.

Donut dinosaur planet would also rock people\'s socks off.

Two liveable planets in one system?That\'s just too boring, and donut form of the planet could just create a gravity hole, just like travelling through the sun glitch.

That\'s why that\'s a really silly idea.

it would be nice to see a planet with it\'s own moons and perhaps one or two planets that orbited each other whole orbiting the sun. like the earth and moon only both have the same mass.

also a planet that switches possitons like pluto.

You mean a double planet?

Two liveable planets in one system?That\'s just too boring, and donut form of the planet could just create a gravity hole, just like travelling through the sun glitch.

That\'s why that\'s a really silly idea.

Zero gravity != A lot of gravity.

Also I never said it was livable, the dinosaurs would crush your lander before you\'d have time to take a screenshot.

Also is ksp not a really silly game? ;3

Donut planets are impossible under the current gravitation model. The two body assumption HarvesteR is using assumes spherical gravity fields with a point source. You will not get that if you have donut planets. Sorry, folks. :)

You could simulate a donut planet by getting an infinite amount of spheres to be slightly not inside of each other and then let them orbit around a central point.

Or harv could simply code some more.

Prettied up the Eve system today. Its moon Faz was shattered by a massive impact, littering the system with rings and large crystal shards.

Normal view:

ss20111206003122.jpg

View through telescope from Kerbin:

ss20111206003309.png

The two moons, Faz and Jall respectively:

ss20111206003048.jpg

View from the surface of a crystal shard:

ss20111206003545.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.