Illusive stones

Guys tell me how you went about finding Mun stones. I assumed I would jet pack and walk about for maybe 20-30 mins and find them but I've spent about 4 hours doing that on the east side of the East crater and have found none whatsoever. I turned scatter off early on and even wasted return fuel moving my ship so I could base out of another location 5km away. I took Bob a few kms from the ship in every direction before returning for a propellant refill but tbh I've had enough of seeing barren Mun terrain.

All the science tells me I'm in the East Crater, but maybe I'm in the wrong biome? I just don't have a way to determine that so early in a career game.

8 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The new terrain features don’t spawn in saves created before the DLC was installed.

But can be if you futz with the save file.   There's a thread around here somewhere

Also, moved to BG discussion.

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

But can be if you futz with the save file.   There's a thread around here somewhere

Yes, you can edit your save too...but there’s the problem that these new features have colliders, so having one spawn in a landed craft is going to cause Bad Things.

ShadowZone posted here how to do it, but I highly recommend you make a backup of your save first.

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

so having one spawn in a landed craft is going to cause Bad Things.

The features are random enough, and landed craft are small enough, I'm willing to take that risk (with a backup save of course :P).   Of course, I'm curious as to what actually happens when a geyser spawns inside your rover. 

Just now, Gargamel said:

The features are random enough, and landed craft are small enough, I'm willing to take that risk (with a backup save of course :P).   Of course, I'm curious as to what actually happens when a geyser spawns inside your rover. 

Since I have a long-running save and I wanted to continue it with all of the BG features, I went the save-editing route, and the Kraken fortunately spared my landed craft.

The probability of a rock or other BG terrain object actually disagreeing with the location of a craft is pretty low, which is either bad or good depending on what you want to happen :P

There really should be a way to scan for these. Like they should show up on the nav ball within a certain range if you’re running the narrow band scanner or another part, preferably earlier in the tech tree. Or if there are biomes where they’re prevalent those should show up in map view after a survey scanner pass. 

Thanks guys. I'm actually running a new steam install and a new career save, and it was getting frustrating to say the least. As it turned out I put my rescue lander down about 3km west of my first lander and there was a stone within about 500m of it! I saw it from EVA about 1km away! lol

eEov9mg.jpgS79Ztmk.jpg

Has anyone found Green Sandstones on Minmus? I found plenty of Mun rocks. But Green Sandstones one Minmus i can not find a single one. I am beginning to think they dont exist. 

35 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Has anyone found Green Sandstones on Minmus? I found plenty of Mun rocks. But Green Sandstones one Minmus i can not find a single one. I am beginning to think they dont exist. 

Me too. I think it might be a bug with generation based on specific seeds, or it is tied to the scattered setting by accident (I have mine set to zero). 

IMHO there is definitely a problem with this.

I disabled scatters and surveyed Minmus by eye running multiple orbits below 6km and below 500m to the surface and saw a total of 3 stones in several orbits. Two showed up immediately and then none for three orbits then another one showed up. I think the spawning is not very player friendly.

Added to this, when I dropped a ship on the third stone it was on a steep slope and the behaviour of the kerbal scientist I took to investigate was unmanageable, as the physics of flight close to the slope were inconsistent, suddenly shooting up from a tiny amount of upward thrust, also the kerbal would go unresponsive and slide down the slope miming a moon walk (the only way out of this was to hit F to climb if it showed up) and once landed on the green sandstone, which was huge, at multiple locations all around and on top of it, it was impossible to get an option to take a sample or pick it up, which I understand should show up on the Kerbal right click.

Nada!

Its getting a bit frustrating. :/

EDIT finally found a small one using the alt f12 ROC cheat, it was impossible to see any other way and very rare.  IMHO LOD needs to be visible from a greater distance and they need to be a lot more common. Suggest scattering small ones around the more visible larger ones (as if boulders broken away from an outcrop) so players can home in on the larger outcrop by eye and then find a knapsack sized boulder to take home.

Edited by boolybooly

On 6/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Yes, you can edit your save too...but there’s the problem that these new features have colliders, so having one spawn in a landed craft is going to cause Bad Things.

ShadowZone posted here how to do it, but I highly recommend you make a backup of your save first.

Even on Minmus your craft will cover 0.00001% of the surface or something like that. Chances of winning the Powerball are probably better.

13 hours ago, sp1989 said:

Found one on my first Minmus crewed landing in the playthrough. Went looking for it on the greater flats, since there are no scatters, and got it about two kilometres from my lander (noticed it from about 700 m distance). Maybe I just got terribly lucky, but they do indeed exist... :) 

Michal.don

18 hours ago, sp1989 said:

I can confirm that they're very, very rare.
I literally searched all of my Greater Flats for one, almost at a "comb the desert" level of detail without finding one.

Then I happened to hop over there for an unrelated mission later, and found one lying within a few klicks of my landing zone on the "flats". I don't know if the rest of the planets will be that frustrating, but I hope not.

Also there is an LOD issue with Munstones. They can be seen easier by zooming out with a distant LOD than they can at intermediate distance where there appears to be a missing LOD model because they completely vanish until you get much closer.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

@Long Finger The new terrain features don’t spawn in saves created before the DLC was installed...try creating a new one.

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do I create a new save so that these new surface features will appear. I did save my current game with a new name, closed out KSP and restarted it, but I still do not see any Mun stones. I also turned off surface scatter.

Thanks

P.S. Does starting a new save actually mean starting a new game from the beginning in career mode?

On 6/4/2019 at 6:50 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I have only found mun stones and nothing else :(

Update I have found craters after hopping a biome. But I am having a certain issue with Minmus as I have found nothing

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a related problem. I've had no problem finding green sandstone on Minmus. The way I find them is to first send a small unmanned 'hopper' lander and land near the edges of the greater  and lesser flats, then I take short hops around the edges. It is easiest when the sun is not very high in the sky, because then the shadows are easier to pick out. Once I have them located I send a manned mission and target the landing near the unmanned probe, and viola.  I've picked up more than 6 in the last week, for different contracts.

Now to the problem. The first two contracts were completed successfully, but after that, while I get the 150 science points upon returning to Kerbin, the contract says I have not completed the mission. I saw that someone else on a different forum was having a similar issue, but I didn't see any solution. Note that I realize _some_ missions require a new ship to be used for the contract, so I typically build a new one, but that hasn't made any difference, and the contract hasn't specified any other parameters, other than to return green sandstone to Kerbin from Minmus. Has anyone else here seen this? Have any suggestions?

I forgot to mention, when I leave Minmus, and dock with my return ship, I _am_ going EVA, and doing 'Take data', and then getting into the return capsule. I see the data transfer to the return capsule. I just did his again...went to Minmus, landed, had my scientist go eva, found 'green sandstone', climbed on it, pulled up my kerbal's action menu. did the pickup, went back to my lander, got in, back to orbit, docked, did the eva to get data moved, got back to Kerbin, and the contract still hasn't been completed.

Edited by Michel Bartolone
additional info

More info...I may be onto something. I found this in the log:

[LOG 14:17:33.743] Flight State Captured
[ERR 14:17:33.749] Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT_FINISHED'

at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ConfigNode.AddValue(System.String name, System.String value)
   at Contracts.Contract.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at Contracts.ContractSystem.OnSave(.ConfigNode gameNode)
   at ScenarioModule.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at ProtoScenarioModule..ctor(.ScenarioModule module)
   at ScenarioRunner.UpdateModules()
   at ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules()
   at Game.Updated(GameScenes startSceneOverride)
   at GamePersistence.SaveGame(System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode, GameScenes startScene)
   at GamePersistence.SaveGame(System.String saveFileName, System.String saveFolder, SaveMode saveMode)
   at FlightAutoSave+<PersistentSave>c__Iterator0.MoveNext()
   at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

So, possibly a busted contract? 

Edited by Michel Bartolone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.