(STS-16) Shuttle Launched Community Space Station

STS-5 and 6 have been launched!

1hFrEdw.png

Spoiler

Starlight Shuttle Possibility prepared for its fifth spaceflight, carrying the first node, "Paracas" and the first tug, Takaya," both built by Chovel Youkai® Inc.' to the still unnamed space station.

I didn't take a screenshot of the crew, but Lumia Kerman was on board, as well as Bill, I think, and two other white suits.

LKKk8Y0.png

Liftoff!

lsYzCzK.png

SRB separation!

HJTnyTr.png

However, STS-5 encountered an anomaly when the external fuel tank separated, resulting in the almost complete loss of its wing section and rear landing gear.

The crew initiated an abort to orbit maneuver and the accident investigation started. As none of the systems that mattered for in space maneuvering had been compromised, the crew proceeded to deliver the new modules to the space station.

ofNzZLE.png

fObF4hC.png

It was decided that, despite the lack of any docking compartments, the space shuttle would dock to the station via the forward node port and remain there until they could be rescued. One option was the Krussian "Unity" spacecraft, but that could only seat three and was in short supply. The final decision was to rush the build of orbiter #2, "Nebula," which had been under construction for quite some time already.

G9NygSS.png

STS-6 still carried its payload, the Tracking and Relay Satellite #1, based on the extremely capable Edison Corporation model EDI-SAN-420GH MHFT satellite bus.

ujH1BG6.png

OV-002 "Nebula" had a number of modifications. First and foremost, the external tank now would have sepratrons on every flight. Structural changes were made (autostruts) and parachutes were added to the crew compartments in case of a launch failure. Small OMS engines were also added so that in orbit maneuvering would not have to deal with the weirdly angled vectors.

Lqanmgp.png

Liftoff! The mission carried, among others, JERONIMO Kerman.

vYx9ixm.png

Successful EFT jettison!

ZcVWFXg.png

The OMS engines, however, were weaker than expected, and will be upgraded later on.

GrKxTWe.png

Soon, the Nebula arrived at the station. The satellite wasn't supposed to come here, and in fact the mission was originally scheduled to launch from the Dessert launch site, but was moved as the station is in an equitorial orbit.

L1ZGaMF.png

This is the first time two shuttles have been in space together, something that was not scheduled to happen until sometime in phase two. The station wasn't even supposed to have any shuttle dockings at this point, even!

The four crew transferred over to the Nebula. This was also the first time a shuttle had been fully crewed.

EmhTtLl.png

The Nebula undocked and moved a short distance away before deploying TRS-1, which then deployed a bunch of stuff (it looks really cool!) and transferred to Kerbostationary orbit.

NkL6GAc.png

(No pics of orbit insertion unfortunately)

tmm9eGj.png

Nebula then re-entered the atmosphere, but everyone was disappointed to learn that the hypersonic flipping problem still hadn't been fixed, despite the adjustments. Fortunately, the vehicle did not break up and still managed to land safely.

djOlLqm.png

Before it flies again, I'm going to try to fix that.

JI4KyCG.png

The OV-01 Possibility, now unmanned, is de-orbited. Hopefully some parts survive!

CVaK4I1.png

Well, RIP.

Alright, good news. The Starlight has been redesigned.

As it turns out (I haven't made a shuttle replica that I used more than a few times before), shuttles suck aerodynamically in KSP. The dry mass is near the back, so even if the center of lift is far behind that, the center of pressure will pretty much always be in front of it due to the huge cargo bay. I can move the wings back all I want, but it will still be very yaw unstable at re-entry velocities.

I could fix this by adding a lot of yaw surfaces, but then it basically looks like a rocket and it's fairly stupid.

I wanted the modifications to be functional, but still look like a shuttle. I tried using a feathering system like Spaceship Two does, but the stock hinges are very weak especially at re-entry velocities. I tried mounting the engines forward like Skylon would, but I couldn't get it to look good.

In the end, I played around with a few of the minor things and clipped like 7-8 tons of ballast into the front of the craft. To compensate for this and various engine changes, I filled the external fuel tank more. To compensate for that I had to move the SRBs closer to the shuttle and angle them so they wouldn't destroy the wings, but it also meant I could set the thrust limiters back to 100.

The end result? It still will flip out at hypersonic velocities if you fly it wrong, but it is nowhere near as severe, and most of the time it is recoverable early on. It's also harder to get to flip out. There are four air brakes at the back in order to help with stability during re-entry. Also, the two wheesleys have been replaced with a panther, but I might change that as it's not enough to fly it very well.

I tested it with a jumbo 64 tank and it almost made it to orbit. With some alterations to fuel levels and piloting, it should be able to get to orbit. However, for anything heavier than that, additional fuel tanks may have to be installed in the cargo bay if there is room, but for anything substantially heavier (the volume available can handle like 1.5 jumbo tanks) we may use 4 SRBs instead of 2. Maybe. It was also tested with no payload, and it made orbit perfectly fine, with a lot of fuel left over. I think at this point it might be worthwhile to do with less fuel in the external tank and a bit more in the shuttle. This is because with heavier payloads, gravity losses because of low TWR hurt my Delta-V numbers more than the additional fuel helps it, I think...

Anyway, I won't ramble any more, here is the upgraded Nebula:

HDErZOW.png

I won't update the craft file, unless anyone wants to fly the shuttle, as the payload bay volume is exactly the same.

4 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

visualy... no change

I just took the pic from an angle that makes it look like that!

I tried to keep it as close as possible. The only major visual changes are that I shifted the wing forward, added a small tailplane, messed with the engines, moved the OMS to the front of the craft, and moved the SRBs. It looks a bit more airliner-y than the original, but yeah, it does look pretty close.

11 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

@Ultimate Steve Did you try to use airbrakes as yaw control ? They are very powerfull if positionned correctly !

Hmm, good idea, I may change that.

STS-7 has launched!

isu2jpC.png

Spoiler

Note, accidentally left the Edison flag on for this one.

Also, the station needs a name! Don't be afraid to comment suggestions!

The newly redesigned Nebula shuttle takes off on its second mission. It carries VA7NFH Kerman, Steve Kerman, Kerbolitto Kerman, and Jebediah Kerman.

pRSKBXe.png

Its payload is the first habitation module and docking compartment, built by @VA7NFH.

fHwwXLJ.png

The crew reported that ascent went well, in many respects even better than in the older design.

S1eBIVS.png

A direct ascent rendezvous was performed, the shuttle reached the station on the first half orbit.

The Takaya tug grabbed the habitation module and attached it to the forward node of the Paracas. Then the Mini Takaya, the adapter/mini tug, grabbed the Docking Compartment directly out of the Nebula's cargo bay, and attached it at the shuttle, before undocking and docking to the KerMoStu PSM's starboard jr. port.

Vkihkun.png

The Nebula then proceeded to dock via DC-1 to the bottom docking port of the Paracas node.

XXhad6s.png

The station, now looking more station-y than ever (and still unnamed, suggest names!) is now at a point where it can support crew. However, as the science module has not been launched yet, there wouldn't be much of a point. The first long duration crew will be launched on STS-8, the next mission, alongside the science module.

YDo0ay6.png

After a few orbits, to bring the KSC into the daylight, the Nebula undocked from the space station and de-orbited.

YUvuSez.png

Entertaining cockpit view.

BQlrR6c.png

However, KSC was overshot by a lot, and the jet engine did not have enough thrust to fly, just extend the glide. This was a known problem, but was not fixed because I just wanted to be done. It will hopefully be fixed next flight. The decision was made to attempt a landing at the island airport.

Also, yay, no hypersonic flip-out!

3Qu5KTl.png

VERY close call.

RUvfvXP.png

And, safely landed!

All of phase 2 is open for proposals (I mean, it was before, but I'm re-announcing it) as all of phase one is pretty much taken. Only one more launch in phase one, @KerbalKore 's lab-1.

8 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

I'll create STS-9 - Airlock 1, MMUs 1-2, Docking Compartment 2, and External Stowage Platform

Okay. Keep in mind that the first mmu has been designed, so only one needs to be included by you. Also keep in mind that I can add more mounting points to the shuttle bay if necessary.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Okay. Keep in mind that the first mmu has been designed, so only one needs to be included by you. Also keep in mind that I can add more mounting points to the shuttle bay if necessary.

Oh okay, I just have to provide a single different version of a MMU ? Can I use a bit of robotics for the Jr docks on which you'll dock experiments ?

STS-9 - Airlock 1, MMUs 1-2, Docking Compartment 2, and External Stowage Platform  is ready :

fplf8v.jpg

This long module has an air lock, room for 4 crew, 2 jr docks for MMUs and 1 for the docking compartment 2 and 2 panels which holds 4 jr docks ! The design was nicer at first but I forgot that this module has to dock a lab on each side, so it's now tilted at 90° because why not : D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gpkcvxhgneipho/STS-9 - Airlock 1%2C MMUs 1-2%2C Docking Compartment 2%2C and External Stowage Platform.craft?dl=0

Edited by Kerbolitto

1 minute ago, VA7NFH said:

I am designing the Utility Node 2 right now. Just a question, are RTGs allowed?

Also, VA7NFH Kerman??? I thought I mentioned Elon Kerman, its okay though.

Ah, sorry if you did, I'll change it. I was really tired when I launched those. Will do.

RTGs, sure. Don't go crazy with them, can't have a complete nuclear disaster on our hands!

The TRS satellite already had 2 on board, so it should be fine.

1 minute ago, VA7NFH said:

Alright, here is STS-10 Utility Node 2:

RWuwoHO.png

Has rotatable lights, probe core, reaction wheels, antenna, and an RTG. Its 5.3 tons and can fly on its own.

KerbalX link: https://kerbalx.com/VA7NFH/Utility-Node-2

Alright, looks good. May I suggest one thing, though? I don't know how long the solar panel modules are going to be, but I would suggest a bit more than one gigantor panel's clearance between the top docking ports and the bottom of the module. That may very well be it, but it looks like a close fit. I would suggest increasing module height, maybe using girders. The cargo bay can certainly fit more.

Other than that, it looks good! I'm liking the creativity people are showing, the lights are interesting.

23 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Alright, looks good. May I suggest one thing, though? I don't know how long the solar panel modules are going to be, but I would suggest a bit more than one gigantor panel's clearance between the top docking ports and the bottom of the module. That may very well be it, but it looks like a close fit. I would suggest increasing module height, maybe using girders. The cargo bay can certainly fit more.

Other than that, it looks good! I'm liking the creativity people are showing, the lights are interesting.

Okay, here is a stretched version:

RjRHm42.png

I also updated the KerbalX page.

13 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

I've done a robotic arm prototype, you want to test it ? Not sure if it will be very usefull but it works

Sure, I guess.

I didn't get to launching anything today, it was a bit busy. I might be able to tomorrow.

@Ultimate Steve

Here it is : the bottom tanks are meant to transfer ore when the crane is not operating, to lower CoM, Set 1 action group controls the first part of the assembly, Set 2 the end of the arm. It also has multiple docks to get as close as possible to the module you want to assemble on the station. If you like it I may change some stuff to submit it later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq1vvvl2v7c46o3/Test _ Grue de l'espace!.craft?dl=0

nviq0s.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

As far as a name goes, a lot of space things are named stuff like the Discovery, the Intrepid, the Progress, and so on, all in reference to what they're doing or what their crew is like. However, I think a lot of the first Kerbals in space (and probably some of the first humans, too) were scared snackless.

So let's call it that. Scared Snackless Station, or the SSS for short. That's my proposal.

Edited by MDZhB
speling

STS 8, 9, and 10 have launched. However, as you'll see, we'll need an STS-10a...

WKVupJZ.png

In the cockpit we have the launch crew, and in the crew cabin we have the first long term crew for the station, as this is the final launch of phase one.

Spoiler

nU7LHG0.png

Liftoff of STS-8!

ceWQK2P.png

Successful SRB Jettison!

egPMlUC.png

External fuel tank away!

bCSN82d.png

Arrival at the station. The Takaya tug moves to dock the science module (which has more capabilities than expected!) over to the station. A side docking port is targeted, as there is no rear one. It's completely fine, though, as long as there is a port somewhere, and the module isn't unwieldy, it will work. If not, we have a second tug to dock to the opposite side.

YmWAMoR.png

After the lab was docked, the shuttle docked and transferred the Expedition 1 crew over (unless we can think of a more original term). The crew then deployed the lab's various gizmos and began scientific work.

TO369eL.png

Here is the shuttle undocking. Note that the science module has solar panels, radiators, and, of course, a large antenna that has a cool animation that you can't see because it's not a gif.

8KvBjnj.png

Re-entry went a lot better than last time. However, two of the airbrakes went poof, so Nebula will need some minor repairs before its next mission.

WXrt5ns.png

That turn at the end was on purpose.

Next up was STS-9, which featured payloads from two different providers.

de7dkQD.png

Lumia Kerman was already aboard the station, ready to operate the MMU that her company provided. Ignore "Lumina Kerman," I totally didn't misread the name the first time around and launch her instead...

IGJ4trH.png

STS-9 had a nominal launch.

wc0co3L.png

FHeFlum.png

Nebula released the payload stack comprised of a whopping five separate payloads, and the tug grabbed it.

NQDbatQ.png

After Airlock 1 was docked, Lumia boarded MMU-1 and flew around a bit. It performed beautifully. She then docked to Docking Compartment 2, which provides a second docking port for OV-03, the next shuttle, which hasn't been named (or completed) yet.

1d9294n.png

The module was docked.

DWEIJDk.png

Next, Kerbolitto Kerman boarded MMU 2 and docked with the External Stowage Platform. However, after looking around a bit, I am fairly confused as to how it is supposed to attach to the Propulsion/Service Module, as it would lose the functionality of the bottom hinge (there is a hinge and a servo) and there doesn't appear to be a bottom side docking port. However, I think it looks cool right where it is, and whatever experiments we place on it will be closer to the airlock, so win win.

Looking now I see that there is a bottom docking port, but I hid it with the rotation and it will be attached properly when I next get to the station.It's where the two plates overlap.

D3nuE7p.png

The ESP deployed.

PnVMcjP.png

However, upon undocking, I experienced a problem. The MMU would not rotate in one axis. Controlling from the point of view of the Kerbal, it would be the roll axis, and from the docking port's POV, it would be the yaw axis. Looking at the RCS ports, there don't appear to be any that would facilitate that rotation...

However it would be fairly easy to ship up a replacement if an altered design was provided, as many of the launches so far have had plenty of empty cargo bay space.

Also, maybe I'm flying it wrong, or something. :P

flT5ZBe.png

Fortunately, due to bumping into something, and the strong docking magnets, redocking was possible even without that axis.

4juPxV9.png

Then, a light mounted on a servo was extended.

After several rounds of Whack-A-Kerbal and a few suspiciously undocumented beverages, the two crews said goodbye to each other, and the Nebula returned to Kerbin.

xssfdGC.png

A different, shallower re-entry was plotted, partially because I had nearly completely run out of fuel because of a very inefficient rendezvous. As such, there were flames over the main body of the desert continent. The shuttle made one skip and then entered, to land this time.

yO4ufCs.png

SSyrR5I.png

Mission success!

WFnfhqy.png

Some time later, STS-10 took off carrying Node 2, a utility oriented node that will provide docking ports for solar panel segments and the tugs.

Everything went well until booster separation.

9Jj6m4K.png

LCQxZTd.png

The left side booster smashed into the wing of the Nebula. Also, that little wingtip fell off later.

Since the shuttle may not make it through re-entry with this amount of damage, it was decided to perform a return to launch site abort.

2T0fnVn.png

If it couldn't glide well enough to land, it had parachutes for the crew compartments.

F5LObvE.png

External tank separation.

zE4LuRO.png

Control surfaces were toggled and engine gimbals were unlocked in order to assist with being able to land. Notably, the authority limiters on the back pitch surfaces were upped to 150.

i5cELXL.png

KlduoLy.png

But while it was a struggle, it was flyable.

EGIfp92.png

The shuttle landed with no other damage. Had that last aileron or one of the three bigger wing segments been destroyed, the shuttle would have to land vertically with parachutes and engines. This likely would have been a loss of vehicle (but not crew). Fortunately, the wing can be repaired, and Nebula will fly again.

81n3U6u.png

Inside, the module is safe and sound. It will be launched on STS-10a, which might use Nebula, or it might use OV-03. This is the heaviest shuttle landing to date, with the module inside, and mostly full fuel tanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.