(STS-16) Shuttle Launched Community Space Station

I give you Chovel Youkai® Inc.'s submission for STS-16, the Angel of Lost Hope escape module:

AZg10a5.png

Download here: https://kerbalx.com/mdzhb/Angel-of-Lost-Hope

Download Jr. port variation here: https://kerbalx.com/mdzhb/Angel-of-Lost-Hope-Jr-Port

The Angel of Lost Hope is an escape-type spacecraft designed for rapid and safe reentry. The Angel features:

• Crew space for 16 passengers and 3 pilots
  • Automatic probe control and SAS
  • Integrated engines and RCS thrusters for orbital maneuvers
  • High TWR de-orbiting SRB
  • 2 landing modes: Parachute Only, or Rocket Assisted Landing
  • 100% aerodynamically stable on re-entry, even without SAS'
  • Alternate version with Jr. docking port provided

This time, instead of only doing screenshots, I made a video of the reentry process. Please enjoy this official Chovel Youkai provided material:

Spoiler

GTpNc3Y.png

Specifications and description view inside of the VAB.

Looking at where it may be docked at the station, I couldn't tell if it needed a regular or Jr. sized docking port, so I made versions with both.

I'm not entirely sure what "two redundant landing systems" entails exactly. Two sets of landing legs and parachutes maybe? I thought it would be cool to give it a gliding option, but there's no way I could fit wings on this thing inside the cargo bay. In fact, fitting any two different landing systems (or a second identical one) is tough in a cargo bay and less than 50 parts. However, if it is a hard requirement, I will give it a shot.

Edited by MDZhB
replaced old video that was copyblocked by victor """""entertainment"""""

39 minutes ago, MDZhB said:

I'm not entirely sure what "two redundant landing systems" entails exactly. Two sets of landing legs and parachutes maybe? I thought it would be cool to give it a gliding option, but there's no way I could fit wings on this thing inside the cargo bay. In fact, fitting any two different landing systems (or a second identical one) is tough in a cargo bay and less than 50 parts. However, if it is a hard requirement, I will give it a shot.

That means a backup, like backup chutes would be fine (twice as many as needed) so that if one fails, the other can take over.

So it looks like we have STS 13, 15, and 16 (three separate proposals, one pending! Probably will launch one as the main and elements of at least one as a backup), so STS-14 is the last one needed to be designed to complete phase two!

I will launch those soon, but I am leaving for vacation on the 22nd, so the first launches of phase 3 will have to wait until I get back on the 7th. You can still submit in that timeframe for when I get back, though!

Just now, Kerbolitto said:

Would it be possible to change the picture on first page when you add a module ? To see how things develops :) !

Yes, I plan to do that every few launches! I would have updated it for the most recent one, but I didn't have any good pictures of it.

18 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

can't wait untill the launch :D

Yeah... I might not get that done tonight, and tomorrow is the last day to pack for my vacation, and I probably won't have time then, so I know I said I would try to do them soon, it may be a bit. I need to get back to @Kerbolitto on something related to my break...

If I have time later tonight (and it will probably be late) I will probably design STS-14 (Or is it 15? I forget) by myself so I can go 13-14-15-16 right in a row. Unless someone designs that one before I get back from my concert tonight.

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

Yeah... I might not get that done tonight, and tomorrow is the last day to pack for my vacation, and I probably won't have time then, so I know I said I would try to do them soon, it may be a bit. I need to get back to @Kerbolitto on something related to my break...

If I have time later tonight (and it will probably be late) I will probably design STS-14 (Or is it 15? I forget) by myself so I can go 13-14-15-16 right in a row. Unless someone designs that one before I get back from my concert tonight.

Have a great night!

Chovel Youkai Inc. would gladly provide a second tug and node of the same model as the Paracas node and Takaya tug if no other suitable vehicle can be found for STS-14. The node would be called the Chavin, and the tug would be the Amano.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MDZhB said:

So, are we still on for some launches?

I got sidetracked and I will probably do some more but probably not today.

4 hours ago, Project Cygnus said:

I'm going to make the assumption you want something like this for the lab?:

That's pretty detailed! As long as it fits the module requirements and is at or under fifty parts, it's good!

51 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

-Snip-

That's pretty detailed! As long as it fits the module requirements and is at or under fifty parts, it's good!

It's a system I had designed for my stock Mir styled station. I can make a modification to fit the requirements if you'd like?

• 3 weeks later...

STS-13 - Laboratory Module 2

Spoiler

xuvd38H.png

Having a massive comms dish/space telescope, the Science Lab 2 module, built by @Kerbolitto, was loaded into the cargo bay of Starlight Shuttle Sunrise.

v00Z4mQ.png

Launch was fairly nominal.

M9jhAxY.png

Once at the station, the module was deployed. Due to, erm, subpar mission planning, it was decided to dock Lab 2 to the end of Airlock 1, when originally lab 2 was supposed to be where lab 1 is, and airlock 1 was supposed to be on the non-existent end docking port of lab 1, which was supposed to be where airlock 1 is now...

I think this will be balanced by finding an open port for Airlock 2 somewhere and progressing with the rest of the station as planned.

xYUIlP0.png

However, Sunrise managed to overshoot the runway by an entire continent and attempted to land.

Djvg53f.png

It attempted to land on a flat section of beach, but either rolled off or didn't hit the land. Either way, the shuttle sustained minor damage and will have to be repaired before its next mission.

Those pics were taken a while ago. Now to reread the thread to remember what I have to do next.

So, I have just came across this and I have a submission for the latter stages. It was mentioned in the OP that there may be a need to Mun/Minimus exploration vehicles for the final stages. 

Well, way back in 1.4x I designed a fleet of shuttles, and the ones that were only LKO capable I equipped with a little RCS powered (like the place anywhere rcs port was the only engine, no puff etc) hopper vehicle capable of delivering Kerbals anywhere in the Kerbin system (apart from Kerbin surface) and then returning to LKO for docking or recovery depending on fuel left. 

The hoppers evolved into also a series of tugs, which would aid construction by being able to place small, fiddly modules. 

From what I can see in terms of payload size and shape already launched, your shuttle could carry a fleet of these things in a single launch, or start sneakily piggybacking them on other launches. The piggybacking method would give you the option to take custom ones for specific tasks that you might need to perform. They weigh bugger all :)

Shall I dust them off, give them a lick of paint and provide them to your venture as a new model?

STS-14

Spoiler

Space Shuttle Nebula launched on the STS-14 mission. It carried four payloads, the Chavin node, the Amano tug, the mini Amano tug (all built by Chovel Youkai Inc) and a spacer module for Utility Node 2, a copy of an earlier Docking Compartment (I forget who built that).

FFhtX7s.png

There were many steps to station assembly, however, so I'm not going to show them all.

DKHajat.png

The node was moved into place. The tugs moved the spacing module near the station. Node 2 and the solar panel truss were detached by the first tug, the spacer was put in, and node 2 was attached back to the spacer. I think some docking compartments may have been moved around as well (I think one was where node 3 went) and then the tugs were stationed wherever there was space.

ktOm1li.png

The station at its proper orientation. Probably going to be the new image in the OP.

cRHQlV4.png

During re-entry there was an issue with the drogues deploying early, so they were cut. The engines had to be fired to reach the runway. However, the speed was so low at this point that the shuttle pitched up too far into a semi stalled state.

6rnWdio.png

The tail struck the ground, sending the nose into the ground.

EJI8avG.png

The nose bounced upwards rather violently, bringing the tail down again.

57091Ph.png

LsZnRpZ.png

Fortunately everyone is still alive, but it looks like Starlight Shuttle Nebula will either need brand new wings or will never fly again.

Now soliciting names for another shuttle...

So, the current schedule is:

STS-15 solar panel module by @JERONIMO

STS-16 Escape Pod module by @MDZhB, may include a scaled down version of @thejameswilliam's proposal later on if I have some small modules

STS-17 (first phase three launch) habitation module 2, not taken yet

STS-18 Fuel Pod by @VA7NFH

STS-19-22 not designed yet (we do have a robot arm though)

STS-23 Lab 3 by @Project Cygnus

(Vague future phase stuff)

@4472TJ STS-17 and 19-22 are available if you would like to make contributions.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, Andetch said:

So, I have just came across this and I have a submission for the latter stages. It was mentioned in the OP that there may be a need to Mun/Minimus exploration vehicles for the final stages. 

Well, way back in 1.4x I designed a fleet of shuttles, and the ones that were only LKO capable I equipped with a little RCS powered (like the place anywhere rcs port was the only engine, no puff etc) hopper vehicle capable of delivering Kerbals anywhere in the Kerbin system (apart from Kerbin surface) and then returning to LKO for docking or recovery depending on fuel left. 

The hoppers evolved into also a series of tugs, which would aid construction by being able to place small, fiddly modules. 

From what I can see in terms of payload size and shape already launched, your shuttle could carry a fleet of these things in a single launch, or start sneakily piggybacking them on other launches. The piggybacking method would give you the option to take custom ones for specific tasks that you might need to perform. They weigh bugger all :)

Shall I dust them off, give them a lick of paint and provide them to your venture as a new model?

That sounds interesting, color me intrigued! You can post pictures, but I can't guarantee we'll get that far.

I plan on making a list for phase 4 when I'm done with the phase 2 launches.

STS-15 and STS-16

Spoiler

S6IPCbz.png

The Nebula is in a state of limbo right now, and that leaves us with only one active shuttle, the Sunrise, which launched STS-15, carrying the second Ooltaviolet-vendor-eencluded-nitrogen model 3069 solar panel array. Note, it has been slightly modified so two of the solar panels are not at a weird angle. This means that they will both look different but now only one will bug me.

ZUbTfwu.png

One of the tugs (I'm probably going to lose track of which one is which pretty quickly) grabbed the assembly. The astronauts looked on as it did its quantum unfolding dance. It was almost docked to the station when SAS went crazy and the whole thing flipped out. I locked all the joints and tried again. It took longer, but eventually it was successfully docked!

KAV26xw.png

With the array docked, Sunrise de-orbited and re-entered.

ikIvBmU.png

Two of the airbrakes were destroyed during touchdown, but it has been known that they were in a bad spot, so not a big deal.

SH5Fkgd.png

After some minor repairs, the Sunrise was wheeled into the assembly building where it was integrated with a new external tank and some refurbished boosters. The payloads were attached at this point as well, two of them. The primary payload was Chovel Youkai® Inc.'s Angel of Lost Hope escape module. The secondary payload was a single 2 person escape pod built by @thejameswilliam. It is unknown at this time how much of his system will be launched to the station, but we plan on launching a pod whenever we can fit one and maybe his big tree node or a smaller modified one to fit it somewhere. There's probably an open docking port somewhere. There are Jr. ports all over the station...

JzbZNSK.png

The Angel of Lost Hope was docked to the starboard port of node 3.

LZdQ7pq.png

The other escape pod was carefully maneuvered next to a solar panel and docked to a random open Jr. port on airlock 1.

QgKd9dg.png

Lastly, the Sunrise docked to the station with the intent of completing a long duration mission. The two crews on the station will continue carrying out scientific observations to advance humanity.

Phase two of the station is now complete. One of the phase three modules has been built.

Either tonight or tomorrow I will announce the requirements for phase 4 of the station build. It is pretty late.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.