(STS-16) Shuttle Launched Community Space Station

I saw that the MMU had limitations but when it is controlled from the mini dock the missing axis is not very important. I wanted to create something very compact with a low parts count but I can modify it a bit ! =)

edit : Okay so there is no need to fix the MMU because it works fine with a payload, the problem comes from the fact that the thruster block is in line with center of mass, so if you offset it in the direction or away from the docking port at the bottom it will work better. To fix it entirely and counteract torque vectoring, you'd need another block above or below the existing one!

Consumers rights allows you to choose between a refund or a version 2.0, up to you ! : D

Edited by Kerbolitto

21 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

edit : Okay so there is no need to fix the MMU because it works fine with a payload, the problem comes from the fact that the thruster block is in line with center of mass, so if you offset it in the direction or away from the docking port at the bottom it will work better. To fix it entirely and counteract torque vectoring, you'd need another block above or below the existing one!

Consumers rights allows you to choose between a refund or a version 2.0, up to you ! : D

I think a 2.0 version would be appreciated. We can even bring the 1.0 version back down to Kerbin for analysis if you want! :)

STS-10a has launched.

jV2APZj.png

It was named STS-10a rather than STS-11 to keep from having to rename all of the missions in the OP.

Spoiler

7QdlVJ5.png

More sepratrons have been added to the boosters to prevent an STS-10 situation from happening again. Just as a note, I have been tweaking the shuttle a lot, on very few flights have they been exactly the same.

3EQY2Rp.png

Nebula near orbit.

7pX81Vw.png

Arrival at the station, potentially being called the Scared Snackless Station (maybe as an internal astronaut nickname? It may not fit in with "Nebula" and "Possibility" as an official name).

WxMWeAv.png

This mission has delivered Node 2, which is utility oriented. It will house solar panels and the tugs.

Mddw1aA.png

Lumia Kerman brings out the Badwater Thruster once more, and moves the External Stowage Platform to its correct location.

32ceUIW.png

tNCybBP.png

Nebula then re-enters. However, due to not having burnt all of the fuel, there is some instability.

aIlwyUU.png

Landing was fast. With the extra fuel on board, the craft did not stop as fast.

Ary28RT.png

Fortunately, the Nebula stopped just before the end of the runway!

At this point, I would like to announce that OV-03 will be named one of the following:

• Luna
  • Celestia
  • Dawn, or some synonym thereof (Sunrise, Daybreak)
  • Twilight
  • Vision

Thoughts on which one it should be?

I may choose a module to build, but I may not. I'm going to go update the OP with new information and pictures.

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hide contents
  • Luna
  • Celestia
  • Dawn, or some synonym thereof (Sunrise, Daybreak)
  • Twilight
  • Vision

LuCeDa-TwiVi

Which kind of instability do you experiment when deorbiting ? Also did you tried to cheat the crane on the station to see if it has some use ? :p

Edited by Kerbolitto

8 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

LuCeDa-TwiVi

Which kind of instability do you experiment when deorbiting ? Also did you tried to cheat the crane on the station to see if it has some use ? :p

The shuttle picks an orientation several degrees from prograde, rolls, and yaws faster and faster. It's unrecoverable until low velocity is reached. It's mostly because of all the mass in the back and the draggy fuselage in the front, and because as the craft turns more, more drag is put on the front, to a point.

I have not dealt with the arm yet, as I have not updated to 1.7.2 yet (the new textures on the robotics parts won't load) but I'll do that soon.

11 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

The shuttle picks an orientation several degrees from prograde, rolls, and yaws faster and faster. It's unrecoverable until low velocity is reached. It's mostly because of all the mass in the back and the draggy fuselage in the front, and because as the craft turns more, more drag is put on the front, to a point.

Maybe your l/d ratio is too low ? Did you tried to put airbrakes on the tip of the wings, above and below ?

edit : I tried to fly your shuttle after tweaking the elevons a bit, it's more stable and pitch +15° at +/- 20° left or right from prograd. Problem is that the lift is too low under the com and the craft wants to 1) stick on its side at 90° angle pitch because of resonnance 2) roll 180° so that col is above com.

Hypersonic : stable enough if not yawing far from prograde, descent at 15° aoa totally stable.

Supersonic : much more stable, its possible to roll & pitch left and right to bleed speed at 1300m/s, but its still possible to loose control if pitching too hard, in this case the shuttle points to the ground and enters roll which I could only recover after modifying 4 elevons to roll only.

Subsonic : no problem at all, your l/d is excellent : D

What I did : set canards below crew cabin to pitch only, raised airbrakes near stabilizer (so they are flat) and allowed pitch, the 4 BigS elevons are dedicated to pitch and only the outer Elevon 3 are controlling roll. Also you really want the craft to be more stable you should increase dihedral, at least a tiny bit!

MMU 2.0 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyzruq86vz3y90t/STS _ MicroMMU.craft?dl=0

More Monoprop & lot more thrust, but still no usb port !

Edited by Kerbolitto

Edison co. Or more to be sure it's sub company Energy, desinged a solar panel and a radiator panel holder.

Fun fact, it can carry also a small new relay sattelite EDI-SAN-420/69GH, while smaller, has over 4000 delta v in vacuum and can handle up to 2 devices at speed of 0.009 (IMPROVMENT!), and has an RTG for long term survival behind the planet.

Oven-3069 is an short for Ooltaviolet-vendor-eencluded-nitrogen (we needed just a name :D) and it's powerfull enough to actually power something... like idk it is better than a potato battery??? JUST USE IT :((

The Oven-3069 (solar-radiator grid) and EDI-SAN-420/69GH together.

Gc2E172.jpg

EDI-SAN-420/69GH unfold

Oven-3069 undolf

Craft files:

Oven-3069:

https://kerbalx.com/Jeronimo/Oven-3069

EDI-SAN-420/69GH:

https://kerbalx.com/Jeronimo/EDI-SAN-42069-GH

flag:

UlCRTVH.jpg

Edited by JERONIMO
changed EDI=SAN-420/69GH to EDI-SAN-420/69GH

14 hours ago, JERONIMO said:

also Edison co. goes for minimalization more than functionality, due to it's end goal to colonize Venus Eve.

Hmm, this allows for us to do STS-11 and 12 in one mission. Fantastic, we'll take two (another set of each for the second solar panel mission). It will also allow us to rename STS-10a to STS-11 and keep the rest of the naming system.

Maybe I'll use the other sat as TRS-3, or maybe I'll send it around the Mun...

STS-12 has launched!

MG01bko.png

This is the first launch of OV-03, which has been named Sunrise!

This mission combines STS-11 and STS-12 into one mission, which is helpful, as we were running a bit low on funds following the STS-10 mishap. It also allows us to rename STS-10a to STS-11 and re-establish proper continuity.

This mission has a whopping four objectives:

• Deliver the Tracking and Relay Satellite 2, an Edison Corporation EDI-SAN-420/69GH vehicle, to low Kerbin orbit to facilitate its transfer to Keostationary orbit.
  • Deliver the Solar Panel Module 1, an Edison Corporation design, model  Ooltaviolet-vendor-eencluded-nitrogen-3069, or Oven-3069 to the space station.
  • Bring the Expedition 2 crew to the space station and return the Expedition 1 crew to Kerbin.
  • Return MMU-2 to Kerbin for inspections pending the launch of MMU-3, probably on STS-13.

STS-12 was originally just going to be TRS-2, and was scheduled to launch from the Woomerang launch site. However, due to TRS-1 being launched from the KSC (having supposed to launch from the Dessert launch site) because of its unplanned rescue mission, TRS-2 was assigned to the Dessert site. However, as it now needs to be equatorial, it's been reassigned to KSC...

Assuming we get to phase 4, I have a number of cool missions planned involving non-equatorial launches. Until then, I don't think we have any more non-equatorial ones...

Spoiler

vDLSrsE.png

Sunrise experiences a sunrise in flight.

N6cArZb.png

Booster separation and tank separation went well. Sunrise was now on a trajectory that would intersect the station less than a third of an orbit after liftoff.

dv7m9We.png

The shuttle parks near the station and releases the Oven-3069. After being grappled by the Takaya, action group 8 was activated, deploying the solar panels and radiators, as well as the cool hinges. Really cool design.

P35M9ng.png

The Edison engineers assure us that the two offset solar panels are not mishaps, but are in fact there to more efficiently capture sun.

D6Li9DA.png

The only thing that went wrong was one of the solar panels intersecting the cool antenna. this can be fixed by rotating the solar panel module, rotating the science module, or installing a spacer between node 2 and node 1. I think I'm going to go with the spacer, which will launch whenever we have spare room. For now, that solar panel will remain retracted.

IguUMGW.png

The shuttle docked, and TRS-2 was deployed from the bay. It navigated to a KEO roughly opposite TRS-1.

dd3qwsY.png

Everyone was astonished by the bandwidth improvement over TRS-1. You could almost send a text message in an hour! /s

T6k7fOt.png

The crew transferred between the shuttles. The new crew is 3 orange suits and a nobody scientist, but the shuttle crew was mostly relevant names.

MMU-2 was transferred to the Sunrise's bay. A gentle tap on the rear wall of the shuttle was enough to rotate the craft in its faulty axis, allowing it to be docked.

O6pZGW3.png

Due to the amount of fuel left over, re-entry was steeper than usual, but within the tolerances of the vehicle. OV-03 is the first shuttle designed to be parked on orbit for more than a few weeks, but it did not stay up there on this mission because it needed to return the MMU, and this was its test flight, the engineers want to see how the modifications (there actually weren't any) held up.

uF1kT53.png

Touchdown!

Hey y'all! I gave the escape module a shot this afternoon. Let me know what you think. 

The module itself fits neatly inside the shuttle, but each pod does need to be launched/attached separately. But this does give the ability for Kerbals to launch in pairs. Because as you know, when disaster strikes, we might not be able to wait for everyone. All pods can fly autonomously and enter the Kerbin atmosphere without a pilot. 

Currently, this module has an extra escape pod at the end, but could be configured to attached in-between two modules instead. 

8m4WJ9h.jpg

ZkIOcuP.jpg

Rog9PnY.jpg

Craft Files:

Escape Pod Module: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn6qjbshzntdtq6/Escape Pod Module w_o Pods.craft?dl=0

Escape Pod:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dren8ovqf173xjy/Escape Pod.craft?dl=0

Escape Pod Module w/ Pods:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d5orulmnhsrkav/Escape Pod Module with Pods.craft?dl=0

Edited by thejameswilliam
Added craft files

Wow @thejameswilliam! That's quite the escape pod tree! I may do some slight edits on the pods themselves for part count reasons (the station is 300+ parts, each shuttle is ~80, and the station is only halfway done, the pods look to be 12 parts each) and I'd have to cram some pods into any mission where the space is available, but it looks good!

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Wow @thejameswilliam! That's quite the escape pod tree! I may do some slight edits on the pods themselves for part count reasons (the station is 300+ parts, each shuttle is ~80, and the station is only halfway done, the pods look to be 12 parts each) and I'd have to cram some pods into any mission where the space is available, but it looks good!

That sounds good! You could probably get away with removing one or more of the mini engines, and maybe an RCS thruster or two... depending on how much control you want to maintain. Exciting to see the station coming along! 

12 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

What the station specialization is? Science? Interstellar refuel?

Multipurpose, but primarily research and figuring out how to live in space for long term, like the ISS, but will have refueling and additional capabilities.

The station's purpose is going to branch out a lot in phase 4, assuming we get there.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Multipurpose, but primarily research and figuring out how to live in space for long term, like the ISS, but will have refueling and additional capabilities.

The station's purpose is going to branch out a lot in phase 4, assuming we get there.

How about a name like interstar? It's light, and has things about research.

also reading your voyage-the final warning, as a person who read a lot of things in his life, i think this is amazingly interesting

1 minute ago, JERONIMO said:

How about a name like interstar? It's light, and has things about research.

also reading your voyage-the final warning, as a person who read a lot of things in his life, i think this is amazingly interesting

Interstar sounds like an alright name! And thank you for your kind words, I hope you continue to enjoy it!

STS-13 - Laboratory Module 2

This module is just a basic lab, 2 docks and a giant antenna. It's made to look at distant stuff in the universe, between STF (StuffTooFar) and MSF (MunSometimesFart) radio bands, expanding Kerbal's knowledge of what is currently known as " Dark Sky ".

That's a 51 parts module (I know I know ...!) and is almost useless if you manage to break the dish !! : D It's not very pretty and absolutely useless, if you don't want that thing on the station no problem, at first I just wanted to search solutions to pack a fat dish into a mk3 bay. :)

kgw25o.jpg

x2irl0.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cbo0f6hw5uunbj/STS-13 - Laboratory Module 2.craft?dl=0

Edited by Kerbolitto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.