Robotic glichiness! with sad picture T_T

Just a heads up for anyone having some glichiness with robotic parts causing rapid unscheduled disassembly, I think attaching some parts that dont have an attachment node to a robotic part can cause the robotics to spaz out under certain circumstances (probably involving that and multiple robotic parts attached to each other as well, and also possibly triggered when switching between different spacecraft =/), to be honest I havent narrowed the issue down but using the "Cubic Octagonal Strut" part and connecting it to the robotic node/connector points, and then attaching the nodeless part to the Cubic Strut instead of directly to the body of the robotic part seems to have stopped my satellites from sometimes flapping their wings to pieces >_< .

L7l9h9m.png

So far so good!

AkpDTLc.png?1

oKx8t09.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yup, I've had several funnies with surface mount parts attached to robotic parts. 

For instance, if you attached wheels to a piston directly then they don't move with the piston. Attached something like a small panel between them then they will be OK. 

18 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Yup, I've had several funnies with surface mount parts attached to robotic parts. 

For instance, if you attached wheels to a piston directly then they don't move with the piston. Attached something like a small panel between them then they will be OK. 

Could be a failsafe against the kraken. The amount of krakening a piston wheel would generate... *shudders*

Are you sure it’s the robotics that bug out?

I have a very similar problem in a configuration featuring:

• hinges (as opposed to the hydraulic cylinders you seem to be using)
  • 6x1 solar panels (as opposed to the gigantors you are using)
  • small cube octagonal strut (hmmm...)

What’s more, the problem seems to be with the solar panels (or the octagonals?) bugging out, not the hinges (although there’s certainly a connection) - but only after using the hinges, going to the space center and time acceleration.

Edited by Kerbart

5 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Could be a failsafe against the kraken. The amount of krakening a piston wheel would generate... *shudders*

if you speak of the beast it shall appear D:

5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Are you sure it’s the robotics that bug out?

I have a very similar problem in a configuration featuring:

• hinges (as opposed to the hydraulic cylinders you seem to be using)
  • 6x1 solar panels (as opposed to the gigantors you are using)
  • small cube octagonal strut (hmmm...)

What’s more, the problem seems to be with the solar panels (or the octagonals?) bugging out, not the hinges (although there’s certainly a connection) - but only after using the hinges, going to the space center and time acceleration.

Hmmmm, yer, it might be the attached parts that bug out not the actual robotics. The build that was self destructing was actually a 180 degree joint part (sorry not on the PC atm so I don’t know the exact name), connected to a small piston, connected to a alligator clip. With solar panels attached directly to the alligator clip. The panels would sometimes fly around like crazy, the robotics may have just been along for the ride.

What I did to stop the bug from happening (for now D:) was to attach the cubic strut part with its attachment node via the attachment node on the clip. The little strut part is clipped inside where the bases of the solar panels are, so you can’t see it in the bottom pics, but the panels are attached onto them.

hopefully it will prove stable after more testing :(, having a large craft flail itself to pieces after getting to somewhere like Jool would be disappointing :( so I’m kinda scared to go out of Kerbin orbit until I make sure T_T

7 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

if you speak of the beast it shall appear D:

Hmmmm, yer, it might be the attached parts that bug out not the actual robotics. The build that was self destructing was actually a 180 degree joint part (sorry not on the PC atm so I don’t know the exact name), connected to a small piston, connected to a alligator clip. With solar panels attached directly to the alligator clip. The panels would sometimes fly around like crazy, the robotics may have just been along for the ride.

What I did to stop the bug from happening (for now D:) was to attach the cubic strut part with its attachment node via the attachment node on the clip. The little strut part is clipped inside where the bases of the solar panels are, so you can’t see it in the bottom pics, but the panels are attached onto them.

hopefully it will prove stable after more testing :(, having a large craft flail itself to pieces after getting to somewhere like Jool would be disappointing :( so I’m kinda scared to go out of Kerbin orbit until I make sure T_T

I’m sure the robotic parts have something to dowith it, but that’s easy to experiment with.

i also remember Das Valdez complaining about the colliders of the octagonal struts, so that’s probably part of the puzzle as well.

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I’m sure the robotic parts have something to dowith it, but that’s easy to experiment with.

i also remember Das Valdez complaining about the colliders of the octagonal struts, so that’s probably part of the puzzle as well.

Oh definitely they are involved. Hmm, the first build implodeing was sans struts tho, that’s why I’m thinking it’s how things attach to the robotics

Some experimenting:

• It's perfectly reproducable
  • You don't need to use the robotic part, just having octoganol struts attached to it will do the trick
  • And you have to extend the solar panels
  • Go to space center (or other craft) - no time acceleration needed - and return to watch the show.

Moving to Breaking Ground Support, since that's the best place for attention to technical problems therewith.

Also, some off-topic content has been removed.  A polite request was made to avoid the term "spaz" or "spazzing out", since that has unsavory connotations in the UK (a derogatory term applied to people with cerebral palsy and similar disorders).  Nothing wrong with making the suggestion, but it then derailed into considerable back-and-forth discussion of the issue, which is off-topic for Breaking Ground.

6 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Some experimenting:

• It's perfectly reproducable
  • You don't need to use the robotic part, just having octoganol struts attached to it will do the trick
  • And you have to extend the solar panels
  • Go to space center (or other craft) - no time acceleration needed - and return to watch the show.

I've loaded up the game and went straight into the space center and went to my craft but no issue with glitching. Then I went back into the space center and back to the craft, no issue. Then to other craft in orbit and back to the robotic one, still no issue. It appears stable and the solar panels are connected directly to the octagonal cube struts.

(Pic below, all ok)

zBj1zm2

hmmm what tha... my pic not workin =/

Edited by Guest
pic not workin =/

13 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

* Yay worked this time (pic) See the cube struts. I cant make them glitch so far.

ergwesfw.png

I think that adding mass to the system is the key. Although adding mass at the end didn't do anything for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.