Bg Hinges and Rotors

I've only just got round to updating to 1.7.1 and figured I might as well get the BG DLC as well.  It's not going too well so far.

As an experiment I thought I would first have a play with the new robotics hinges and rotors.  I thought these would make it a lot easier to build a Harrier style craft, or maybe something with variable geometry wings.  As a very basic test bed to work out how the hinges and rotors worked I just attached them to a girder with a couple of batteries for power (if needed) and attached a small motor to the rotor, and a thermometer on the hinge.  

After setting the parameters, and seeing that everything was working to the required limits in the SPH, I assigned the rotor and hinge to their own actions group keys, and launched the contraption to the runway.  And nothing works.

After pressing the appropriate AG key, I can see that the parameter limits for the hinge and rotor are changing, but neither are actually moving.  If I go back to the SPH and remove the motor and/or the thermometer, everything then works as expected.  Is there something I should be doing, or am I perhaps doing something that I shouldn't?  Please tell me I haven't wasted my money. 

I had issues with KJR, especially with the rotors.  When I installed 1.7.1/BG, KJR was the only mod I tried with it right away.  I was banging my head against the wall for awhile trying to figure out how to get the rotors to turn...

Uninstalled KJR and it worked fine, so now I'm just waiting for things to smooth out.  I'd try it out bone stock to make sure you know what you're doing before trying with any mods.

Autostruts have the same effect, at least on rotors and if the strut goes through the rotor. Since the autostrut connects just to one end of the rotor, sometimes it can be fixed just by connecting the part the other way around^^

This is ok:

Spoiler

kQOGUae.png

This is not:

Spoiler

bWpdzpw.png

I have no idea how KJR works but if it establish some additional joints, the effect would be the same.

It turns out that KJR was indeed the culprit, which leaves me with a dilemma.  I absolutely hate the 'wet noodle' rocket syndrome that you have to suffer in the stock game, as even auto-strutting doesn't always solve the problem, but using KJR to solve that problem means that I can't make use of the robotics goodies that BG brings us.  At the moment having inflexible rockets is more important to me than using hinges and rotors, so can only hope that the author of the KJR mod can make it work with BG.

That's useful to know.  No idea how old my version of KJR is as I normally copy it across from the GameData folder of the previous version, but it definitely isn't KJR - Next.  Will have to find that and try it.

Moving to tech support for modded installs, since this is an issue with a particular mod breaking things, rather than an issue with the stock game or with Breaking Ground itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.