K.S.S Fissouri (Block III) (stock robotics testbed)

K.S.S Fissouri (Block III)

If you've been following my stuff, you would know that i love Infernal Robotic, so you can probably guess i was pretty darn exited when they announced that we are getting stock robotics related parts.

I had ton's of different ideas i wanted to try out, or should i say a lot of tried and tested bits of tech that i want to transfer to stock, like suspension stuff, mobile ICBM launcher's...etc. In the end the thing i wanted to try out the most, was to try and upgrade one of my navy ships.

As i had recently finally acquired myself the Iowa in WoWs, i decided to choose the Fissouri to be my test-bed for all the bit's of tech that should make the ship a lot more exiting.

And here is a video showing off the different features.

And here they are listed and explained so you can try creating them yourself.

1. Custom build servo powered turrets with rangefinders and gun-directors.

Perhaps the most important feature in any navy ship. You can make them by basically just plonking down the largest servo available, then building the turret structure on top and adding the gun-barrels (BD-armory howitzers). Then you go to the axis group you want to use (in my case yaw for front turrets, and roll for rear turrets) (in the action groups tab) and select the servo and assign "Target angle" to that group.

Range finders/gun-directors use the exact same servos/specks/groups as the turrets to allow them to stay perfectly synced with the turrets.

The big minus of having these custom servo powered turrets, is that the BD-armory AI will not be able to use them.

2. Rotating crane

For the sole purpose of clearing an obstacle blocking the heli-deck. Done the same way as the turrets.

3. Realistically waving flags.

I know, a bit of a weird detail, but i like it a lot. It is basically just a series of unpowerd hinges with a + and minus - 45 movement limit, and small wing panels.

4. propellers

Such a small and well hidden detail that even i forget about it's existence. I basically wanted to try and see if i could make the KAL-1000 work.

These again use servos. Just got to the action-groups tab and select the KAL-1000 controller (need to place one), then select the servors and bind the "target angle" to the controller. After that just one by one select the servo in the KAL-1000 editor screen and put the front arrow of the little line/wave thing to the top, the rear one to the bottom, and then use the little orange blob that appears when you select the arrows to straighten out the line as much as possible, as otherwise the animation loop will include a slowdown of each propeller before the next loop. You can put the animation a loop by selecting the symbol with the two arrows in the KAL-1000 editor and changing it into loop mode. And as for speed of the propellers, just change the time per loop (in my case 0.6 sec).

As i sad on the video, this new even more upgraded version has over 300 extra parts. I decided that as-well as including all the robotic powered bit's, i should also add in a little more detail overall to make it that extra bit special.

Here are some comparison picks of all the versions, so you can get an idea of just what has changed.

Spoiler

K.S.S Great white II

DroDZJv.png

Fissouri's predecessor that was also based on the Iowa class. Broke due to an update, that for some reason made it explode as soon as the physics kicked in.

K.S.S Fissouri

AXK9aaw.png

K.S.S Fissouri (block II)

ZIAnCDw.png

Nicer looking funnels and an upgrade to the targeting systems.

K.S.S Fissouri (Block III)

Fta6235.png

Longer nose, custom turrets, more detail...etc.

Technical specs:

Armaments: 9x Howitzer in 3 turrets, 4x Goalkeeper CIWS MK3, 1x Patriot system with 16 intercept missiles, 16x cruise missile in custom launchers.

Top speed: 34 m/s

Length: 173.8m

Width: 17.2m

Height: 33.4m

Mass: 1,967 tons

Parts: 932

As per usual, range shouldn't be a problem as it carries more than a few tons of fuel.

Mod used: BD-armory

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/np5ewn9nvq137k8/K_S_S Fissouri (Block III).craft?dl=0

And there it is for you, a nice new upgrade to a well proven veteran of the Kerbal fleet. I hope you enjoy it :).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.