Springs would be nice... and plain unsprung unmotorised wheels

First off bravo for Breaking Ground, you hit it out of the park. I haven't had this much fun with KSP since the Perfectly Safe Reusable Tylo Landing System.

Second, I'm missing a couple of relatively simple parts which I would submit for your consideration.

One, wheels. Plain wheels, no motors, no suspension, just something you can stick on a rotor. There are plenty of round things of course but they have a tendency to explode, so something round and less explode-y would be nice.

Two, springs. A plain coil spring you can stick between two components, which tends to do... springy stuff: want to return to its base length, but stretch and compress somewhat. It would be nice to have these in a number of lengths (part variants) and with tuneable spring strength.

(Yes I would like to make my very own suspension. Like this but ... springier, and wheelier:)

fF6KMBC.png

Edited by Guest

Addendum: I figured out how to use servos as springs. It's not ideal but good enough to get the job done without massively complicating things. I still think springs would be a good idea, and unsprung but robust wheels would definitely be a good idea and greatly expand the possibilities of what we're doing.

30 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

and unsprung but robust wheels

Unfortunately it is a limitation of the Unity WheelCollider that it has to have a spring value (might actually be a PhysX limitation, unsure).

With Unity4 you used to be able to define wheel-colliders with zero-length suspension.  With Unity5+ (2017/2018/2019) this no longer works.

It could still use the WheelCollider. It would make sense to have a small spring value to simulate a tyre. Tyres are springy. The basic point is that they shouldn't be explodey and it should be possible to attach them to an electric rotor, now that we have them. A bit of bounce wouldn't hurt.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 6:39 AM, Brikoleur said:

One, wheels. Plain wheels, no motors, no suspension, just something you can stick on a rotor.

I need this in my life! excellent suggestion. this would be so much fun. keep the traction and friction tweaking though. we can do the rest with robotic parts.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:47 AM, Kerbart said:

someone used hydraulic pistons as suspension, driving over the cawlway in an exceptionally smooth fasion.

hahahah this would be me Good ser. I usually  only post stuff to the KSP group on FB. The hour I got the new DLC's and saw that hydraulic pistons had tweakable force settings, had to do suspensions. unfortunately ksp stock wheels can't be set to "brick" performance.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KerbalSpaceProgram/permalink/2343586499032004/

Edit: i am incorrect. The dates do not match. I just happened to do the exact same thing

Edited by Dundrogen
Proof of statement. Realize the date of the post made it impossible for it to be my vid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.