The Floppy Hinge

So, I'm trying to figure out what exactly causes hinges to be floppy. I've noticed that even locking them, they sometimes sag on my craft. Other times I'll reload a quicksave of a craft only to find that one of the hinges has completely moved out of position. 

So the purpose of this thread is more than anything to ask, what are some of the best practices to use the new robotics parts so that they will endure on a craft beyond just one mission?

Are they flopping under Gees? I've found robotic parts to be kinda weak so far (but i have been mainly using the smallest ones) I've noticed my robotic solar arrays will sag a bit on Kerbin and under acceleration etc so if this is what you are referring to I'd say best practice is to not put them under too much stress, even though I've found while they might sag they dont seem to break easily. Still, no point tempting fate ^_^ 

3 hours ago, Matrix Aran said:

I've had them flop even on orbit. I've had them start causing phantom forces. I've had them start of at arbitrary angles. All sorts of wierd behaviour.

From what I have read from others, attaching surface attachable objects (like solar panels) to the robotic parts causes strangeness. Possibly because of the very low mass of those parts. 

Attach cubic struts to the parts first using the attachement nodes, and then only attach things to those cubic struts instead. 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:57 AM, MechBFP said:

From what I have read from others, attaching surface attachable objects (like solar panels) to the robotic parts causes strangeness. Possibly because of the very low mass of those parts. 

Attach cubic struts to the parts first using the attachement nodes, and then only attach things to those cubic struts instead. 

Funny enough, I've had them flop about with cubic struts node attached. I've had them also create all sorts of weird phantom force behavior when stationary on the ground. They seem to only work reliably if under no outside forces at all, which somewhat seems to defeat their purpose.

On 6/3/2019 at 7:48 PM, Matrix Aran said:

So, I'm trying to figure out what exactly causes hinges to be floppy. I've noticed that even locking them, they sometimes sag on my craft. Other times I'll reload a quicksave of a craft only to find that one of the hinges has completely moved out of position. 

I had the same thing happen on my first craft with hinges.  When I loaded a game with a surface base on the Mun, the hinges would start in the wrong spot and flip into place as physics loaded, making the craft jump up of the ground... not good.  I found that locking the hinges and disabling the motors on the hinges resolved this particular problem.  Not an ideal solution, but it worked for the time being.  

Side note - 'The Floppy Hinge' would be an excellent name for a pub.

9 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

Side note - 'The Floppy Hinge' would be an excellent name for a pub.

It would also be a good medical term for the problem I have with my right knee at the moment. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.