Missing Some Surface Features?

Has anyone else experienced issues with some surface features apparently missing? (In a new game of course)

I currently have a contract to pick up a sandstone from Minmus, and it simply doesn’t exist. The only thing I can find is the large rock structures that I need to use the scanning arm on. 

I have taken a Kerbal on EVA and looked in about a 20 kilometre radius in three different landing spots (midlands, highlands, and North Pole) and can’t find a single stone. I have scatterers turned off completely as well so I am definitely not just missing it. 

I am able to find stones on the Mun no problem, but nothing on Minmus. 

Edited by MechBFP

On 6/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, MechBFP said:

Has anyone else experienced issues with some surface features apparently missing? (In a new game of course)

I currently have a contract to pick up a sandstone from Minmus, and it simply doesn’t exist. The only thing I can find is the large rock structures that I need to use the scanning arm on. 

I have taken a Kerbal on EVA and looked in about a 20 kilometre radius in three different landing spots (midlands, highlands, and North Pole) and can’t find a single stone. I have scatterers turned off completely as well so I am definitely not just missing it. 

In the mission building if you look at your ROC contract they should tell you in which biomes to look. If those were the 3 biomes you mentionned my apology. I myself im struggling to find a crater on the mun. All I can find are mun stones ;) I suppose some of the contract stuff is rare.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:02 AM, MechBFP said:

Similar issue

I have landed on minmus. Looks like the flat areas may be the only place as I'm in the north pole

Alt-f12, check the Breaking Ground section to turn on little markers.

Minmus sandstone is rare. R.A.R.E. In the entire Great Flats, there were 2 in my save.

Also, they are about the size of a Kerbal's (unhelmeted) head, so you can stand 20 meters away from it and miss it easily.

19 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Minmus sandstone is rare. R.A.R.E. In the entire Great Flats, there were 2 in my save.

Yeah, I was unable to find any myself, but I only searched about 1/4 of the Great Flats before getting bored.  Olivine isn't very common, either.  In an area about 16 square km of the biomes in the contract, I only found 3, each several km from the others.

This is a huge contrast with Mun.  Mun ROCs are all over the place.  With the cheat active, you can usually see 6-8 in any direction you look.  So I was expecting the same thing when I got to Minmus.

Do surface features disappear after a while? I found on of the Trees near the KSP, and set up some ground science equipment near it when I did the small arm scanning (per contract), it was still there when I came back with the medium arm, but is missing now that I have the large arm. The surface science is still there.

@GryMor Was that before and after the 1.7.2 patch? That patch fixed (aka: changed) the distribution of the surface features. The sandstone on Minmus is now much more plentiful, but I could imagine that the existing surface features moved with that patch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.