How to find BG surface features easily [spoiler alert]

If you want to find the collectable rocks and/or scan the new Breaking Ground surface features then they can be very difficult to spot. Help is at hand through the cheat menu.

On a PC hit alt-F12 and look at the bottom for Breaking Ground and then Surface Features. Tick ROC Finder and ROC ScanPoints...

3RO6MYC.png

Then when you are wandering the celestial body of your choice you will see pointers to objects...

p8UpN9E.png

Yaaah man both this and the biome overlays should get cleaned up and moved out of the cheat menu and into the game. The surface features are incentive enough to bring and tool around in rovers, which is great! But we shouldn't be turning off ground scatter and driving for hours on end.  

4 hours ago, JERONIMO said:

so do they?

3 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Still not finding anything but the scannable rocks. 

Okay so I found one using the debug menu. It’s like looking for a specific pebble on an entire ocean side beach. 

I would be amazed if you could actually find one without the debug menu, they are THAT small. 

3 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Okay so I found one using the debug menu. It’s like looking for a specific pebble on an entire ocean side beach. 

I would be amazed if you could actually find one without the debug menu, they are THAT small. 

do u have a pic?

6 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

do u have a pic?

They do exist, only way to spot them was to hover at 50m/s above Lowlands. I did not see the stone at first but the shadow they cast is a larger (2x2 approx) !

To give you an idea of the scale .. :

4s3unt.jpg

Just now, Kerbolitto said:

They do exist, only way to spot them was to hover at 50m/s above Lowlands. I did not see the stone at first but the shadow they cast is a larger (2x2 approx) !

To give you an idea of the scale .. :

4s3unt.jpg

oof.

now it's time to search on dres.

1 minute ago, JERONIMO said:

it's hard, they are small, also do u have BG?

some are (if not most) smaller than a kerbal

Yes, I do. Man, why do Minmus rocks have to be small... Guess I'm going back to the drawing board :rolleyes:

Is there anything big there

38 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

negative. the moon natural satellite itself small :)

Spoiler

Ha

Spoiler

Ha

Spoiler

Ha

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, Pthigrivi said:

Yaaah man both this and the biome overlays should get cleaned up and moved out of the cheat menu and into the game.

The biome overlays for sure, and btw, the mod 'scansat' provides just that. But imho the surface features have to remain hidden, so that you have a challenge finding them. However, I would be all for some scanning parts for that. Like an annomaly scanner or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that zooming way out on a landed craft will show the shadow blotches of any surface features in the area.

On another note, the contract says I should be able to find Baobab trees in the grasslands biomes, but there are none in the grasslands near the KSC. I haven't bothered looking further yet...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

45 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I've found that zooming way out on a landed craft will show the shadow blotches of any surface features in the area.

On another note, the contract says I should be able to find Baobab trees in the grasslands biomes, but there are none in the grasslands near the KSC. I haven't bothered looking further yet...

Yeah, it took me like a 10km ride — and then I found three.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.