For what kerbals need too many switches?

Yeah I think it's just simulating how real aircraft/spacecraft have tons of switches for things. We don't need to simulate it in KSP, but IRL you'll have multiple switches for exterior and interior lights, battery cutoffs, electrical inverters, ground power, APUs, fuel flow cutoffs and modes, engine cranking and ignition, hydraulics, refueling ports, landing gear, flaps, nosewheel steering, multiple radios, volume controls, oxygen, airconditioning/heating, bleed air, windshield air, radar, lasers, GPS, inertial navigation systems, attitude indicators, dust covers, fire suppression systems, cockpit open/close,  HUD, multi-function displays, and then a bunch more for weapons controls and countermeasures (chaff/flare) if it's a military aircraft. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch off the top of my head, too :P

It's the cockpit control equivalent of a phone menu:

• "You have chosen option A.3.D - Deploy Control Surface. Specify craft type:"
  1. "If this cockpit is currently in a shuttle, turn to control panel 3B."
  2. "If this cockpit is currently in a spaceplane, turn to control panel 5C."
  3. "If this cockpit is currently in a cargo airliner, turn to control panel 2A."
  4. "If this cockpit is currently in an experimental contraption, pick any panel and flip the switch that you most fancy right now."
  • "You have chosen option A.3.D.2 - Deploy Control Surface on a Spaceplane. Specify control surface to deploy:"
    1. "For flaps, flip switch 5C.1"
    2. "For airbrakes, flip switch 5C.2"
    3. "For ..."

10 hours ago, CrazyGreenPilot_RUS said:

It's a mk3 cockpit. Maybe these things are antistress for kerbals?

That's a good theory.  In fact, I think that's part of the reason for the switches.

But mostly, however, I think all the switches are a safety mechanism.  Kerbals are like children in that they have an uncontrollable urge to touch and fiddle with everything within reach.  In the early days of Kerbal spaceflight, it was quickly discovered that if the only buttons in the cockpit were for the important functions like staging, the astronauts would instinctively push those buttons as soon as MEKO allowed them to lift their arms off their chairs.  Thus, the Boffins filled all the immediately visible and easily accessible surfaces of the cockpits with dozens of totally useless buttons and switches and hid the important ones behind the seats.  Also, the useless buttons are more shiny and otherwise attractive, the functional buttons are non-descript.  The idea is, the Kerbals will fidget with the useless buttons, which do nothing except make beeps, turn small lights on and off, etc., and thus keep their fingers off the important buttons that should only be used at specific points in the mission :cool:

Circuit breakers, snacks cupboard, shower cabin, seat height and seat incline. Switches to turn on/off MFD's.
Then you have a pilot and copilot copies of the same switches plus a double one for each circuit breaker if one fails. You need this on long flights, it's not a mistake. If anything, the kerbal pods are more sophisticated with more automated functions so doesn't require the amount seen in real air planes.
If a actual IVA more sophisticated then rasterprop monitor would be introduced I can imagine more knobs, buttons and switches would be present.

Also, on modern or prototype command pods everything is remote controlled or fly by wire so it isn't ancient like on many old still existing airplane cockpits so the comparison is rather off IMO.

On Thursday, June 06, 2019 at 6:30 PM, swjr-swis said:

It's the cockpit control equivalent of a phone menu:

• "You have chosen option A.3.D - Deploy Control Surface. Specify craft type:"
  1. "If this cockpit is currently in a shuttle, turn to control panel 3B."
  2. "If this cockpit is currently in a spaceplane, turn to control panel 5C."
  3. "If this cockpit is currently in a cargo airliner, turn to control panel 2A."
  4. "If this cockpit is currently in an experimental contraption, pick any panel and flip the switch that you most fancy right now."
  • "You have chosen option A.3.D.2 - Deploy Control Surface on a Spaceplane. Specify control surface to deploy:"
    1. "For flaps, flip switch 5C.1"
    2. "For airbrakes, flip switch 5C.2"
    3. "For ..."

Was in a Red Vs Blue frame of mind this morning, and read all that in Sheila's voice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.