Is Squad working on a new game?

MechBFP

Do you think Squad is secretly working on a new game?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Squad is secretly working on a new game?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Maybe you are privileged to information I am not. But if Squad was purchased by TTI at the time that TTI purchased KSP, that would contradict what was said by Squad staff at the time of the purchase.

as it says: " Squad remains independent but partnered with Take-Two. "

I was Squad staff at the time of the purchase, and still am.

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I hope they're working on a new game. You can barely keep a company afloat working on a single game when it DOESN'T have a sequel looming.

From the way @nestor asked his (her?) question here I guess that they are working on a new game. (Or at least planning to work on a new game. ... really soon now. ;))

And you know what? I'm probably more exited to learn what that might be than I'm about KSP 2. :)

On 8/21/2019 at 5:33 AM, AHHans said:

O.K. I had some more time to think about that, and the conclusion is:

... drumrolll ...

I have no real idea what kind of game you at SQUAD are working on!

It just depends on too many factors that I don't know about. What kind of people do you have running around at SQUAD looking for new work? Hardcore physics engine coders? Graphic artists? "Movie" directors? Story writers?
Did someone at SQUAD have a nice idea for a completely new game? Are you trying to do a somewhat-quick "asset flip" out of KSP? (Which could be good - even great - if done right!) Are you working on a new game that plays completely different than KSP, but internally re-uses a lot of KSP?

Some ideas are:

• Using mostly the existing KSP to tell a story, making the rocket building and flying parts a lot easier (e.g. by telling the player what to do) and focusing more on the story to attract a different player base. (Kind of "let a good story teller go crazy with the mission editor". ;))
  • Maybe the above could also be used to make a educational program teach small children about how rockets and orbits work. (Or teach not-so-small children. :D)
  • A more "XCOM like" KSP: where there is more variation and resource management in the base building part, and you do single missions with your rockets. Bound together by a story with not only a start but also a clear ending. This doesn't have to include shooting others, interplanetary transport can be exiting on its own.
  • A submarine building game. ("KSP meets Subnautica") With (semi-)realistic physics.
  • A graphical novel in space?
  • A space-fortress building game. ("Forts in space")

Edit: P.S. Someone used the l-word. All these ideas are yours to do with whatever you want.

That was pretty much going to be my response as well.

I see it going two ways, a relatively low-risk game using the team's existing skills and an existing IP, or a brand new high-risk idea that could be a total flop.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:55 PM, TheSaint said:

Well, I would guess that unless you guys really enjoy litigation, it would be something completely unlike a physics-based space exploration game.... :D

As said here we are good friends with Private Division, so that shouldn't be a problem.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, nestor said:

NDA in bold but just curious to hear what type of game you would imagine us doing next if that was the case.

Maybe a game that explores the kerbal race before the start of their space program.  I imagine a top-down strategy game centered around a group of kerbals entering from some cave or a crashed spacecraft. The goal would be to develop a city (or multiple cities) using Kerbin's natural resources, and would be focused on creating technology: train routes, power generation, propeller planes, etc. Along the way you'd discover the purpose of the monoliths. The game would culminate in the creation of KSC and the first rocket launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.