[KSP 1.7] Parts inside payload always generate drag?

Hello guys,

I was building my XCOM airplane and noticed that adding kerbal seats inside the cargo bay would slow down my ship a lot. I toggled the drag overlay (with closed cargo bays) and found this:

XAlnLjl.png

I've noticed that parts inside payloads always generate drag, regardless if they're enclosed or not.

I proceeded to test a simple design, with only 5 parts

NnyJGDI.png

And noticed the same thing happens to the cubic strut inside the fairing, it also produces drag:

8xKjt4F.png

I looked around a bit and found someone saying that if you enable Aero Data in Action Menus (in debug window) then you can see if a part is shielded or not.
I tried designs will all sorts of payloads and all of them gave the same results for parts inside: Shielded? False.

I would like to know if this is some sort of bug? Am I doing something wrong? :( Thanks!

@bewing Exactly!

@kenedos Plus you have to make sure that the attachment of your cargo or parts inside are attached to the exact cargo bay inline node, that is not to the surface of the bay itself and then dragged. Looking at the picture you have the command chairs far away from the inline cargo. I assume they're attached to the cargo bay floor itself?
Make sure you attach them to the inline cargo, then hold LEFT or RIGHT SHIFT + LMB to drag them far away from it's grandparent part if you want the seats situated at the same spot as they're now without editing the cargo.

Also make sure all other parts are attached to that inline setup and not dragged from another place. I have the experience that re-installing the cargo by removing it and then reattaching it to the node again can solve the problem if this issue persists. I'm not sure what leads up to it. I do sometimes take of the cargo bay in the editor with the payload attached accidentally to another node or I attach it with "allow part clipping in editors" enabled (cheat menu option) which can cause a attachment to attach wrong, for instance, have the cargo attached to a inline fuel tank node or when attaching the cargo bay over the cargo instead of attaching the cargo inside the bay. These situations can cause the cargo to be calculated outside the cargo bay.

Indeed the "Shielded: False" seems buggy and the overlay shows red lines (drag) on occluded parts but clicking on the part with the debug menu it does indeed say 0 drag!

Thanks for the replies guys!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.