2. 2. Have you found Minmus surface features

• Yes
    • No
    • No but I do know what they look like!

THIS POST IS NO LONGER FOR CURRENT DATE

UPDATES HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM AND THIS IS NO LONGER NECESSARY

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT

Edited by Guest

Even with the cheat "ROC Locator" turned on, it's still very hard to find anything on Minmus.  The ROCs are very few and far between, like several kilometers apart, even in the biomes where the contracts say they're plentiful.  I had a very boring drive scouring an area of about 25 square kilometers including an end of the Great Flats and the surrounding Lowlands, Midlands, and Highlands, looking for Green Sandstone and Olivine.  I did not find a single piece of Green Sandstone.  I did find several widely scattered chunks of Olivine.  The Olivine varies greatly in size, from small rocks like the one shown above, to giant spiky crags about twice the size of a normal scatter boulder.  The bigger the piece, the more science you get from scanning it.

Mun is a different story.  Everywhere I've landed there so far, there have been numerous ROCs within easy reach.  They tend to come in clusters of 6-8 spaced every couple hundred meters, and the clusters are 1-3km apart.   You can easily see multiple clusters with the ROC Locator turned on.

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

@Geschosskopf so is this Olivine?

Look like it.  I'd wager a rover with a large arm it is.  One that big will generate mondo Science!  So if you come across tiny pebbles, pick them up and take them home, but don't do the arm on them.

Edited by Geschosskopf

3 hours ago, fragtzack said:

Can find the big cropping on Minmus just fine, but the small ones that can be picked up allude me.

The ones I know of are at the Big valleys

They are also VERY spread out like only two per valley

[The following is from before the latest patch (KSP 1.7.1, BG 1.0). I understand that the new patch makes them easier to find, but I haven't tested that myself.]

I found one sandstone on Minmus, but it was *bleep*ing hard. I had Bob fly at a few hundred meters over the surface, and the looked for a pixel that twinkles just that bit differently... :confused: The Olivine formations are somewhat easier to find, but I don't have the scanner arms unlocked yet.

So they do exist.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:37 AM, AHHans said:

[The following is from before the latest patch (KSP 1.7.1, BG 1.0). I understand that the new patch makes them easier to find, but I haven't tested that myself.]

I found one sandstone on Minmus, but it was *bleep*ing hard. I had Bob fly at a few hundred meters over the surface, and the looked for a pixel that twinkles just that bit differently... :confused: The Olivine formations are somewhat easier to find, but I don't have the scanner arms unlocked yet.

So they do exist.

The KSP 1.7.2 and BG 1.1 patch should make them easier to find.

So I am going to take off this discussion but am going to keep it on since most KSP players don't go out beyond the kerbin system so I am not going to get a moderator to close it.

• 4 months later...

I found the Green Sandstone very easily in the Lowlands at 4.3495 S x 135.0562 W. Currently landed at Highlands at 68.0310 S 93.9371 E looking for Olivine formations to scan with my small rover arm.

P.S. Finally found a large formation at 3.1 km and another off in the distance probably 3-5 more km.

Edited by r3_141592654
Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.