Rock collection - permanent trophies for collecting rocks from other planets

The new ability in Breaking Ground to pick up extraterrestrial rocks and bring them back to Kerbin is awesome, but it lacks some tangibility in my opinion. Once you pick up the rock, it is no longer physically anywhere; it just becomes a science report. That is why I have made this suggestion:

Near the Astronaut Complex there would be 15 small glass displays on pedestals; one display for every planet & moon with a surface. When you first start a save all the displays are empty, but every time a rock from a planet/moon is recovered on Kerbin, a small piece of the recovered rock is put in the case. For example, say you just came back from a Moho mission and you brought back a Moho rock. A small piece of the Moho rock is now on display in the "Moho" display case. (I figured that only a small portion of the rock should be displayed, as scientists would need access to the rest of the rock for studying.)

The cases would be around the height of a kerbal, and they would look something like this: (although they'd have a more "KSP" look to them, as well as a plaque stating which planet/moon the rock is from)

YP01YzZ.jpg

The rocks would be mounted to the case similarly to how this Moon rock is mounted, on two poles:

82270main_s81-33955.jpg

I kinda feel like there should be a reward for collecting all 15 rocks, but I'm not sure what it would be or if it's even necessary. Perhaps the reward could be unlocking a new spacesuit color, one that can't be unlocked any other way.

Constructive criticism and feedback are welcome of course!

Edited by The_8_Bit_Zombie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.