The Rover saga

Mikenike

Preface:

This series follows Head Engineer of  the rover department, Malus Kerman, and the chief test pilot for Malus' rovers, Ensel Kerman.

Dosy's first mission disaster was caused by my horrible SRB and decoupler use.

This series will not include pics, I am sorry for this but I play on console.

This series will mention other characters and their exploits with other fields of KSC's programs.

I plan to let the readers decide whether they want another Chapter to be written.

I need a new title for this Saga, what do you think it should be?

Chapter One:

Malus was sitting at his desk when it happened. A rover that was tride and true, had flipped, which destroyed all but the command station. The rover, a "Bee" Bull No. 1 had gone too fast and initiated a violent turn, which caused the weight to shift and make it flip. Mission Control, commanded by non other than Gene Kerman, had dispatched Jeb, Val, Bob, and Bill to rescue Dosy Kerman, an egineer returning to the SPH after a meeting at the R&D facility. Dosy was unharmed but the rover was totaled. Dosy had a long history with mishaps and disasters, starting just days before, with his first assignment, which he, Ensel, and Dilvan, were lucky to have escaped. The placement of the decouplers was wrong, causing the SRB's to fall inwards, hitting Fuel tanks and engines, exploding on impact. The abort stage saved them, if Dosy had hit the button an split second later, he wouldn't have helped save three Kerbonauts. Hendred Kerman came in "Bee" Bull No. 5 to pick up the survivors. On the way back, with Hendred and Ensel, two old friends, catching up on the Comms, Hendred hit a bump at 66 M/s and hit the water tower closest to the runway, killing Hendred instantly. Jeb, Val, and Bill, went to pick up the three double crash survivors and took them to the hospital wing of the Kerbonaut Complex. The three were clearly shook up. Dosy was sent to the hospital wing for the second day in a row!

Meanwhile, the new head of passenger plane development, Delman Kerman, was at a meeting which worried him. The topic of the meeting, who should become the chief rover test pilot. Malus had elected that his friend, Ensel do it. Hendred was the chief test pilot before. Delman stated to the group," Ensel is a great rover pilot and plane pilot, but he has since given up his flying status, both regular flight and spaceflight. And he has started driving rovers because of his friends death, but I have no real objections to him being promoted," The group voted on the matter, Jeb: 4, Ensel: 11. 

It was the 5th hour of the day, when the promotion ceremony was preformed, and Ensel was proud to head a group of individuals in such an important matter. When it was over, he had authority of 10 other test pilots. Ensel was to test the new "Goose" rover, which was able to carry 36 Kerbals around KSC. Most would be reserved for evacuation of larger residential  areas or complexes. He would also be testing "Bee" V2 later. He would then file a lengthy report on the design, stability, and other important features to be sent to the engineers for redesign and improvement.

Edited by Mikenike

I will write the next chapter this weekend. I forgot to bring the paper that has the next chaptsr on it. It will be up on Thursday. I lie, will post chapters two and three tonight tomorrow respectively.

Edited by Mikenike
New time tables

Chapter 2

Malus was overworked and underpaid with all but the rover tests going bad.The launch site which was destroyed in the Lerger 2 disaster, was declared out of service, permanently. Meaning that the craft they launched for 2 years, would be shipped and reassembled at the launch site. To him that meant one thing, budget cuts. In other news, the SPH was housing a lab, called "BatHabLab" for its three modules into one, with another hab that has to be attached once at deployment site.

Meanwhile, Gene Kerman had terrible news delivered to him. Gene's wife had a heart attack. When he was presented this news, he told Dr. Von Kerman that he would be out for the rest of the week. He then ran outside and grabbed a "Leopard" rover racer, and raced towards the hospital.

Ensel Kerman was relaxing under the cosmos, along with fellow test plot and friend, Jebidiah "Jeb" Kerman. Ensel, breaking the silence,"Jeb, when do you think we will go to the Mun?". Jeb, in a serious tone," 'We choose to go to the Mun... We choose to go to the Mun... We choose to go to the Mun in this decade and do  the other things; not because they are easy, but because they are hard.' - John F. Kerman, but sometime this decade Ensel, sometime.

Edited by Mikenike
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3

Ensel wanted a new rover. Malus responeded to that, with the highly unstable "Moose". A thin rover, contrary to its name, the "Moose" was a open air rover, capable of unintended flips, and other, highly deadly in air maneuvers. Top speed was only 45 M/S. Ensel immediately took it for a spin, to the hills north of the Space Center. He only  went about 10 KMs because he needed to recharge the two  batteries, even though, they didn't have to fold up or unfold. Malus hopped in "Moose" Bull No. 2, and left to join Ensel. Just 0.2 Kms from Ensel, Malus' rover flipped, luckily, he survived. Malus didn't know how, because the command seat is the highest point of the viechle, and the first to hit the ground. Ensel contacted Jeb, who brought out a "Bee V2" for extraction, picking up Ensel and Malus on the ladders, where they got in the hitchhiker can and got transported back to the Space center.

Meanwhile, Dr. Von Kerman had created a new rocket. Called the ComSatLx, the small rocket was to launch five times, each time carrying a single Comms probe to orbit. After launching and rough circularization, the probes would extend their Communotron16 and receive transmissions from KSC.

Shortly after the success of the ComSatLx, Dr. Von Kerman wanted a large version of the probe sent up for a polar orbit, something like one of the previous probes had tried to do, but failed because it ran out of fuel before the full maneuver could be completed.  Shortly after launch, the cargo area came off the rocket, (I was using 1.875M parts from the Making History DLC and encountered a problem, I couldn't find a core or AGU that fit the size, so I went with the 1.5M size, and that happened :(.). It was the first major disaster since the Lerger incident. No further launches were made.

Edited by Mikenike
Forgot Chapter #

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 8:21 PM, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

Ooooh... I like it!

Thank you, it will be continued now...

On 6/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, Just Jim said:

Awesome!!!  :cool:

Thank you, it means a lot to think that you like it!

• 3 months later...

Chapter 4

Malus decided it was time to launch a major rocket to the moon. Gene, Werner, and Mikenike agreed, and decided they would launch an unmanned rover first. Lerger 4 launched and arrived without a hitch. We got science for more rovers. Malus reached out to Ensel and he asked him to try a new long-range rover, meant for the exploration of Kerbin.

Edited by Mikenike

Chapter 5

The new rover was called LR300 (Long Range 300). It has a hitchhiker for crew, and a convertotron with drill, to supply fuel for a set of Juno engines to assist in propulsion. Another new rover was created, called simply Truck, which is used for small tasks around KSC. Another rover was made, to transport VIPs around the KSC and other bases. Another set of miners was sent out to mine more resources for fuel. The area around KSC is littered by Miners and habitation and lab sections. 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.