Solid Evidence robotic parts are breaking randomly

rayceeya

So I spent an hour or so building a drive-able strand-beast.  I built the front half first and and used wheels for the back half.  I said bloody hell it works.  The three legs in front are pulling the thing around.  So I ditched the wheels and put in three more legs on the back half.  I programmed them so that they would be asynchronous with the front half to make the thing ride steady.  Somehow, even though I hadn't edited them, the front legs just stopped working.  I was using a single KAL 1000 to control 12 parts and initially in the editor it worked properly but when I went to launch, several of the hinges stopped working.  Now here's the weird thing, Upon reverting to the hanger, those same parts were broken inside the hanger too.  This is defiantly a bug.  I reloaded the same ship file and still broken.  

I hope squad fixes this one quick.  I can offer the craft file if it helps, but I'm not sure how to upload it.

I haven’t fully figured out exactly what is happening with robotic parts and all their quirks with losing their programming on the controllers. At this point I just expect if I edit some part tree with robotics somewhere on it, that something ‘may’ break. So I try to measure twice and cut once even though it kinda hampers iteration.

and as for EC, yes parts go haywire and flop around with no EC and I haven’t figured out how to regain normal operation after EC is restored. Mainly because my VTOL is falling out of the sky when it happens lol

• 2 weeks later...

This is what is happening, I have found it happens whether or not "Locked" is used.  Very very bad bug, makes many designs that otherwise would be great not viable.

This is a seriously miserable, game breaking bug and it needs attention soon as.

Gavin786

* Problem has by trial and error solved : AUTOSTRUTS.  Disable them if you are having similar problems!

Edited by Gavin786

OK, I have not yet tested on the model above but I did get it working(and a much better version) with rotators.

There were the same kind of problems and I have rooted out what it is : AUTOSTRUTS

IF you are having any kind of problems with parts just not working as they should it would be my first suggestion is to switch autostruts off in your model, then enable part-by-part as needed.

I use(as many ppl) Editor Extensions Redux and its just a matter of habit switching on rigid and struts for every part.

HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BREAKING GROUND?  CHECK THE AUTOSTRUTS!

As ppl no doubt can tell I am actually really pleased with this discovery as up till now I have been bashing my head and not being able to create more than simple designs and even then having them not work correctly.

For the above 32 passenger ship that can land on planets, I have now made a full gimbol system that allows me to fully dispense with RCS

DA121D95692716006B3C2E4E93B62776AAD892AF

3FF7732E8757643831015AFD6A75A2BE58312B33

521FB9377A6EC0F3D194EB7E591A81E42CE78183

* Just tested and got rid of autostruts in design in the video.  Everything seems to be working perfect now!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.