Kerbal Space Program 1.7.2 is live!

UomoCapra

16 hours ago, MechBFP said:

No one else has this issue... so not a bug. Probably a mod incompatibility. 

Verify your files if updated through Steam. After the update - Steam was not able to verify six files (for me), which were re-downloaded.

Edited by M.M.I

On 6/12/2019 at 8:19 AM, UomoCapra said:

* Made engine thrust limit, and cargo bay deploy limit, and control surface and airbrake authority limits bindable to axis groups.

Easy way to throttle down core stages on a multi-stack LF rocket?  Differential thrust for attitude control?  Me likey.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:00 PM, Aegolius13 said:

* Made engine thrust limit, and cargo bay deploy limit, and control surface and airbrake authority limits bindable to axis groups

So, will this allow us to use such like flaps in steps, so to speak?

That would be cool.

Usually had to pin a PAW and mess with the throttle a lot when landing. Fiddingly with control surface limits via mouse was always annoying since I only had two hands :p.

This change would help a lot with that. Have a few axis buttons free that could be set for that :>

49 minutes ago, Spraki said:

So, will this allow us to use such like flaps in steps, so to speak?

Kinda, yeah.  It goes like this:  Control surfaces can work (and have always worked) in two different ways in the stock game:  "normal" and "deployed".

• In normal mode, they default to 0 degrees deflection, but can pivot up and down (up to plus-or-minus the control authority amount) in response to SAS or player control input.
  • In deployed mode, they default to going right to the control authority amount (or minus that, if the "deploy inverted" is turned on).

So if you want them to act like "flaps in steps" (e.g. sorta the way IRL airplane flaps are used), you can do this:

1. Set them to "deployed"
  2. Set the control authority to zero (so they're centered while in normal flight)
  3. Use this new 1.7.2 ability to bind them (in the editor) to an axis group.  Pick whichever one you want.  For example, you could use "Translate U/D" (i.e. the I and J keys).
  4. Then launch.  In flight, you can then use the I and J keys (or whichever ones you bound in step 3) to adjust the angle of the flaps.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Kinda, yeah.  It goes like this:  Control surfaces can work (and have always worked) in two different ways in the stock game:  "normal" and "deployed".

• In normal mode, they default to 0 degrees deflection, but can pivot up and down (up to plus-or-minus the control authority amount) in response to SAS or player control input.
  • In deployed mode, they default to going right to the control authority amount (or minus that, if the "deploy inverted" is turned on).

So if you want them to act like "flaps in steps" (e.g. sorta the way IRL airplane flaps are used), you can do this:

1. Set them to "deployed"
  2. Set the control authority to zero (so they're centered while in normal flight)
  3. Use this new 1.7.2 ability to bind them (in the editor) to an axis group.  Pick whichever one you want.  For example, you could use "Translate U/D" (i.e. the I and J keys).
  4. Then launch.  In flight, you can then use the I and J keys (or whichever ones you bound in step 3) to adjust the angle of the flaps.

Thanks. Sounds great. I like playing around with airplanes, and it was always a pain to get the right flap angles per plane in stock aero.

I suppose I can have the leading edge set to inverted deployment at the same time. That should help get a neat AoA gradually. 

Will try it all out once I get back home next week.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:53 AM, zer0Kerbal said:

hmmm... when will someone post a MM patch that changes suit color based upon class and rank? :P

i dont need a patch for this. my colour setup is simple: pilot/command = gold, engineer = red, scientist = blue ;)

1 hour ago, KNN said:

i dont need a patch for this. my colour setup is simple: pilot/command = gold, engineer = red, scientist = blue ;)

44 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Star Trek TOS style !

I'm doing TOS colours for my Kerbals too, but the red still needs tweaking.

tLLMjXi.png

Let's just hope all of my engineers aren't violently killed...

Image result for star trek redshirt meme

On 6/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, UomoCapra said:

* Fix Surface Feature frequency math. Should be much easier to find now.
* Remove crater bay from Laythe surface feature biomes.

So just a quick follow-up question, do we need a new save for these fixes to have an effect? Or are they active for existing games?

In any case, thanks for the great work, as always :)!

Edited by eldeifo

24 minutes ago, eldeifo said:

So just a quick follow-up question, do we need a new save for these fixes this to have an effect? Or are they active for existing games?

In any case, thanks for the great work, as always :)!

I don’t think you need a new save. I didn’t see anything near my lander in Minmus, but when I went back to it after patching there were 2-3 objects nearby that I’m sure weren’t there before. 

The patch notes also have a warning to back up your save due to the tiny chance a new object may spawn under a landed craft. 

I see a facebook post from KSP's official page talking about work on 1.7.3, and in particular a feature called “Same Vessel Interaction”. Will that allow multiple Claws to grab the same item?

Oh, i see the 1.7.3 post, i'll ask there.

Edited by r4pt0r