Satellite Contract Spawn Requirements

Similar to the question posted here 

Does anybody know the specific requirements for satellite contracts to appear in the game?

What I have at the moment:

• R&D, VAB, Astronaut Complex and Launchpad at level 2
  • Mission Control and Tracking Station at level 3
  • Unlocked every technology requiring only 45 Science als well as "Aerodynamics", "Advanced Flight Control", "Minituaturization", "Electrics", "Precision Engineering" and "Advanced Electrics"
  • I flew past the Mun with unmanned and manned missions as well as already flew a bunch of tourists around the Mun
  • I rescued Kerbals from lower orbit

I followed Scott Manley's "Career Mode Guide For Beginners" series a bit and it seems I have the same technology available as well as the same achievements made as he has when the first satellite contracts pop up in Mission Control - still I don't get any offers of this sort

You need to have reached kerbin orbit. You need a Level 2 tracking station. You need to have unlocked the OKTO probe core, and the "Electrics" tech node (for solar panels), and there is a minimum Reputation requirement of about 300.

This is weird then.

• I have been to kerbin orbit
  • I have a level 3 tracking station
  • have the Okto and HCES unlocked
  • have the basic solar panels as well as some expandable ones
  • and have a reputation of 61%. I don't see a numerical value anywhere

Unless I'm missing something, you should definitely be seeing them where your career is at.   The contracts you get are somewhat random though - my current career, the very first tourists to orbit contract I got was yesterday, while I'm in the middle of launching craft in preparation for my career first manned Duna mission and have bases on Mun & Minmus already. 

One way to help, if you are comfortable with editing game files is to change Average Available Contract (I don't recall the exact term but its near the top of the file) value in the Gamedata/Squad/Contracts/Contracts.cfg (either directly or with a MM patch).  The higher you set it, the more contract offers you will get, so better chance of getting contracts you want.  I usually set mine at 20 or so. 

As cavscout74 said, the contracts you get are somewhat random. There are something like 14 different types. But I'm a little surprised you haven't seen a satellite one yet. I suspect you will see one quite soon.

The "full" version of your reputation is shown on the "Crew" tab of your Mission Completion window when you recover a vessel. However, the "percentage" version of it is just the full version divided by 10. So your full rep is in the 610 range.

So finally I got offered a satellite contract!

I've kept playing, ferrying tourists around Mun, rescuing Kerbals from Kerbin and Mun orbit but still not a single satellite contract in sight.

One thing made me wonder though: I didn't get as much contracts offered anymore as when I started out with my career. Mostly I only had 3 new contracts available at any given time. Cavscout74's mention of the AverageAvailableContracts number made me think that maybe the currently active contracts also play a role in this, and from them I had quite a few (mostly around 12 or so. Most of them generic contracts for achievements like planting a Flag on Mun or Duna, but some also from companies).

So eventually I decided to cut down on the number of active contracty by fulfilling some of them, _without_ immediately accepting another one upon completion, and all of a sudden I got 5 available contracts with my first satellite contract amongst them. (An equatorial orbit in westerly direction, so I had to design a new probe carrier rocket for that)

So I can conclude, that it seems that the number of running contracts also affects the number of new contracts you will get offered, and (at least it seems to me), that the few contracts you do get offered tend to be from the same type as contracts you already accepted or completed in the past, thus making new types of contracts more unlikely to get available.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.