Download

Hte7cLQ.png?1

Updated Version:

XOxdUKf.png?2

Edited by Yaeah
New version link added

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Hotdiggitydog said:

Do you recommend Breaking Ground for swing wings? I used Infernal Robotics for my F-14 and it basically crashed every time I activated it in flight. Does the Breaking Ground stuff work while moving?

The joints do work in flight, though putting wings onto the joints means the aero effects on the wings will cause the joints to flex during flight, especially when turning.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, Hotdiggitydog said:

Do you recommend Breaking Ground for swing wings? I used Infernal Robotics for my F-14 and it basically crashed every time I activated it in flight. Does the Breaking Ground stuff work while moving?

Like Mignear said, the joints do work well, however they do have some degree of flexing. I was looking at making a bigger F-14 with the larger rotors to reduce the flexing, but it doesn't look as nice as I'd like. As for this F-14, the functionality is basically all there. I just wish that wing sweep would have an effect on the speed of the craft like FAR allows.

Edited by Yaeah

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Schwarz said:

So BG joints still flex like IR joints? Do they have any built-in sequencer allowing you to setup an action sequence?
Just came back to KSP and really interested in getting the new DLC.

Breaking ground has the kal-1000 controller part, which is a sequencer that can manage multiple parts at once on a timeline (looping and ping-pong possible of the sequence) - all of that with bezier curves (so the controlled parts can vary their speeds during animation). Since last patch, the sequencer can also trigger actions (decoupling, engine ignition, etc)

Breaking Ground joints were super rigid in 1.7.2, but then 1.7.3 came and screwed things up. Pic of my Tomcat for reference:

Post image

Btw, I love the Tomcat, great usage of stock parts!

Edited by EvenFlow

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 1:15 PM, EvenFlow said:

Breaking Ground joints were super rigid in 1.7.2, but then 1.7.3 came and screwed things up. Pic of my Tomcat for reference:

On 7/29/2019 at 6:54 AM, Schwarz said:

So BG joints still flex like IR joints? Do they have any built-in sequencer allowing you to setup an action sequence?

Its worth noting that when you don't want to move a part, you can lock it in place, at which point part autostrutting is allowed across the joint, and it can be much more rigid.

However, setting part locking as a toggle to an action group isn't a great idea, and its a really bad idea to set part lock AND motor engagement toggle to an action group is a terrible idea.

If a part is still moving you'll get an error message that it can't lock while moving, and as a result of flexing or whatever, some joints may lock and others might not. Pressing the toggle action group again may lock some joints that were previously unlocked, but it also unlocks joints that were locked.

This is a big problem on my multi-engine tilt VTOLs. So I use 2 action groups, one to just lock joints (that I can spam until they all lock), and one to unlock. I have motor toggle on a separate action group, so I can ensure all joints are locked before disengaging the motors (to save EC on certain designs)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 12:54 AM, Schwarz said:

On 7/20/2019 at 2:24 AM, Mignear said:

The joints do work in flight, though putting wings onto the joints means the aero effects on the wings will cause the joints to flex during flight, especially when turning.

Ahem

Anyways, amazing work on the F-14 mate!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.