[WIP]Odysseus Technology (Life Support Add-on w/ Dependencies)

EDIT as of 4/12/2020:

I have abandoned this project.  It was an interesting idea, but at the time I did not have the capability to put things into place like I wanted.  Sorry to all those who were looking forward to it.  In the future, I'll post things once I have something to show for.

There is a non-zero chance I will revive this project.  Although unlikely.

Edited by Some_stranger
Update image.

2 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Might I ask for more information on what this mod is other than life support? 

In the coming days the roadmap should be fleshed out in a way to help everyone understand exactly what I'm doing here.  Nonetheless I'll try to explain it:  I'm making an add-on for Life-Support mods:  This means that mods like, say, Kerbalism will work with my add-on, but without it my add-on will not work and maybe break your game.  Kerbalism as a base has food and drinks and storage for them.  My add-on may add new ways of storing food, and creating it.  DeepFreeze is a mod that adds cryo-pods.  My add-on would possibly add it's own.

The goal of this add-on is simple:  Create a visually appealing add-on for life support mods that work ONLY with those mods enabled.  This add-on may make it easier for you to deliver food to your Kerbals, or give them alternatives to growing food in orbit.  It might allow them to enter cryosleep or make it so the year long trip isn't so stressful on them.  They may be protected from radiation better, or other elements.

If you take into account that I had a paying job as a 3D artist about a year ago, it's not too far fetched to say this is entirely feasible.  I have never done code, and I have never made any items for KSP.  The reason for this add-on isn't only to improve the variety of items and tools you may have at hand while using the mods required of it, it's also to act as a stepping stone for myself.  If I learn from this experience, it's entirely possible I can create well thought out and designed mods for the future.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any other concerns, let me hear it.

18 minutes ago, Some_stranger said:

[snip]

This sounds quite interesting! So it’s like an expansion pack of sorts to Kerbalism and other life support mods? I don’t know if this is possible, but it’d be cool if there were different kinds of food, each with different nutrients that Kerbals need to survive. If a Kerbal doesn’t get a specific nutrient, he will get a disease or some other ailment, so if a Kerbal doesn’t get enough Vitamin K, they will get skurvy or something. And maybe a rudimentary health system where if, for example, if a Kerbal falls from a high place, they will get injured and will walk slower or not be able to run, unless they are healed in a medical module, which Kerbals with higher medical skills will be able to heal more.

1 minute ago, hieywiey said:

This sounds quite interesting! So it’s like an expansion pack of sorts to Kerbalism and other life support mods? I don’t know if this is possible, but it’d be cool if there were different kinds of food, each with different nutrients that Kerbals need to survive. If a Kerbal doesn’t get a specific nutrient, he will get a disease or some other ailment, so if a Kerbal doesn’t get enough Vitamin K, they will get skurvy or something. And maybe a rudimentary health system where if, for example, if a Kerbal falls from a high place, they will get injured and will walk slower or not be able to run, unless they are healed in a medical module, which Kerbals with higher medical skills will be able to heal more.

For gameplay reasons, I'd like to refrain from a nutritional system.  I did however, think that it would be interesting to have two types of food:  Packaged and organic.  Packaged foods would last forever and weigh less.  Organic foods would come from space cultivation and weigh more, and wouldn't last very long.  I'm not sure how I would do this, so mostly the idea is on the backburner and probably won't be implemented.

As for medical, I don't think I have the ability to do something like that.  If there is something like this already in Kerbalism, then maybe.  I can't stress enough that I'm not a programmer, and adding entirely new systems would be very difficult for me.

They aren't dependent at the same time, if that's what you're thinking.  It'd be one or the other.  I'd like to structure it more in-tune with Kerbalism, given that it's more in-depth and more what I'd like to do.  Even then, if TAC LS isn't updated in the coming days/weeks/months, then I guess the problem sorts itself out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.