Runway Runners Redux- Drag Racing!

A long, long time ago, in a KSP far, far away, I made this challenge. 6 years later KSP has a ton of entirely new parts and features, completely revamped wheels and much prettier visuals! I thought I'd return to this simple concept for KSP 1.7.

The goal is simple. Create a vehicle which can reach the highest speed possible, and then come safely to a stop, all on the KSC's runway. The rules will be more or less the same as last time, but there are some significant changes:

1. At least 1 part must remain in constant contact with the runway during the entire duration of the run. Don't fly.

2. The vehicle must come to a complete and final stop with at least 1 part still in direct contact with the runway.

3. No bugs, cheats or exploits. Sorry K-drive people. No wildly unrealistic clipping; clipping an engine into a girder is fine, clipping a fuel tank into a fuel tank is not.

4. Your total part count must be less than or equal to 100.

5. This is a stock challenge. DLC parts are fine but may receive their own leaderboards if there's sufficient interest. Mods which do not interfere with the run are fine. 

6. The vehicle should remain intact throughout the entire run. No decoupling events or rapid unscheduled disassembly. Again, if there's sufficient interest, there may be a leaderboard for vehicles which break these rules, but they should still be 100% reusable.

7. Manned vehicles must use an enclosed crew capsule of your choosing and not a command chair.

You must either include at least 2 screenshots for your run to be considered, one of the vehicle at its spawn point and one of the F3 screen showing its top speed and lack of in-flight events, or a video of the run. Include your resources screen in these screenshots. Video submissions are preferred. Craft files are also welcome but not required.

Here is my submission: 283m/s in the manned category. Note that I'm missing the resources window being open. Please include that in your submissions.

WINNERS CHARTS

Manned:

1. Jodo42- Runway Runner, 283m/s

Unmanned:

Edited by Jodo42

9 hours ago, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

Wow. So we have to make a dragster? Cool. Are SRBs allowed? And if we have both probe and a command pod, will it count as both?

SRBs are fine. If a design has both a crewed command pod and a probe core, you can submit to either category, although "Crewed" would probably make more sense.

6 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

Wait.... THIS DOES INTERESTING!

Also Can i Clip structural Grid to a fuel tank to place the Tire (In order to have stability over the craft)

Sure, that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 2:34 AM, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

Well, I've been thinking about this for a while, now I've got it!

This is my very first attempt.

https://imgur.com/4VqSQHh

So..... it was 75m/s. I'll be adding improvements soon during the holidays.

I look forward to your improvements! Good thing there wasn't a Kerbal onboard :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.