How do I rename a probe to be debris?

Normally to rename a vessel I would fly the vessel right click on the controlling component and then can redesignate it appropriately, which is quite useful when I land a rover and Kerbal decides it is still a ship.

Tidying up some stuff I find that I have a probe in the tracking station which is actually just a piece of debris. From the tracking station I can see "Minmus rover station 1 probe 1"

IY6Wap4.jpg

But when I go to it this is what I have;

YJyQmkT.jpg

How do I rename that?

2 hours ago, jnbspace said:

"Minmus rover station 1 Probe"

Apparently, that part had a probe core attached to it at one point.  I don't know how you launched everything originally, but something is obviously missing--that's a decoupler, not a separator, and it ought to be attached to something.  If you detached from a part that had a probe core but then the probe core exploded because of exhaust impingement or collision, KSP won't necessarily re-brand it as debris.  That only happens when you detach something that has no control points whatsoever, and in this case, it is explained by the probe core not being the root part.  I don't think it a glitch so much as an uncommon, but normal, occurrence, but I'm with @Geschosskopf either way--it's best to terminate it and move on.

2 hours ago, jnbspace said:

How do I rename that?

However, to answer your question, you can rename it in the Tracking Station.  Go to the tracking station and click the information button as in your first image.  Click the orange banner of that window (the part that has the name of the vessel)--or double-click; I don't recall which--and it will give you a rename dialogue with the option to mark the thing as debris.

Edited by Zhetaan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.