Tips for Dres return archive as mission is over

2 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

How fast do you except the aerobrake to be?

It depends on the transfer and how efficiently it's done.

If it turns out that all you have to do is lose an extra 600m/s, you should have no problem.

okay thanks I will probably use the remaining fuel from my lander anyway (+700 m/s so about 3300 meters per second)

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

Why do you want to establish an orbit at Kerbin? 

I am trying so I don't overheat. It may bring me to the question of how much an ablative heat shield can stand?

What are you bringing back that needs to go to the surface? I mean, you really only need to return the crew and maybe some science. 

A capsule and heatshield with 20% ablator can return directly from anywhere. 

On 6/18/2019 at 12:00 AM, sturmhauke said:

Your phase angle (relative position of Kerbin and Dres) is about right, but your ejection angle (how you leave Kerbin) looks like it might be off. For outbound transfers, you want to start your ejection burn in approximately the same direction as the orbit of your starting body, to benefit from its velocity. (The exact ejection angle can be tweaked to get a better encounter, but mostly just make sure it's in the ballpark.) This might mean starting half an orbit off from your theoretical ideal ejection time, if you would be facing the wrong way.

I wouldn't say you want to start your burn in the ejection direction ... you want to burn (prograde) such that your motion relative to the planet when you leave the SoI is in the same direction as the orbit (or opposite if you were going in-system).  Getting the ejection delta-v right then sliding the node around the orbit tends to work pretty well for that, maybe use PreciseNode and watch the effects on your orbit as you change node position and magnitude.

image-17.png?w=768

This is the current situation 3000 meters of dV left in the final stage and according to an online calculator this is the correct time to come home. Can you guide me on how to get home from such a high orbit

10 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

*Facepalm* @mystifeid... How fast do you except the aerobrake to be?

11 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

So I won't to be able to circularize at kerbin but can aerobrake?

You can aerobrake really really fast as long as you have heat shield coverage.  I think I logged 7,000 m/s on bad return from Moho.

11 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

So I won't to be able to circularize at kerbin but can aerobrake?

You can use a less radical aerobrake to capture and eventually circularize -- I think that's the more common definition of aerobrake, in fact.  But it tends to take a lot of fine-tuning your periapsis to the right amount, so you don't reenter (peri too low) or end up on a fly-by (peri too high).  This usually means lots of reloading, since every craft handles pretty differently in this regard.

As I might have mentioned, the most important thing is to make sure you capture on the first pass.  Once that's accomplished, you can aerobrake at your leisure, taking as many passes as necessary to get to the desired orbit.

To end up in a stable orbit, you'll always need a little fuel to raise your periapsis above the atmosphere, but that takes very little.  

TL;DR - with full aerobraking exploitation, and a good-ish transfer, you should have plenty of delta-v.

If you're worried about your heat resistance, you'll want to get the most efficient possible transfer to save fuel, use ALMOST everything left on the capture burn, at the same time aerobraking as much as heat allows, and  just try to capture in one pass.  Then even a heat-vulnerable craft can gradually work down the excess velocity.

F.F. (stands for Fun Fact) this is the first time I gradually ask for help through the mission. Expect it to happen again with Moho Eve and maybe Eeloo

I'm not doing another Dres crew mission again that's for sure

I have successfully finished the mission so this now can be closed

@Vanamonde please close this as the mission is over and I don't need apollo 13 helpers anymore

Here is the post I made that has the whole mission

Omi Gauuuuuuuuuuuush it's finally done

Expedition Dres/ fourth mission of expedition Eeloo

"it's... boring :('

Yes my friends after days of redesign asking for tips and getting frustrated everyday I have finally done it! It's finally time to talk about this mission

Notice: I didn't record any photos of getting into kerbin orbit or leaving since no one really needs to see that but you got my trust to say I have done it!

arrival.png?w=1073&h=

Arrival at Dres

order-of-main-module.png?w=1052&h=

order-of-main-module.png?w=1052&h=

Setup of the spacecraft with touchpad writing

crater-on-the-forgotten-planet.png?w=1072&h=

Landing in the crater

dres-suicide-burn.png?w=1050&h=

The suicide burn

speech-of-expedition-dres.png?w=1214&h=

The flag after landing

I then had to move the rover after the lander was glitching because of it

rover-out.png?w=1112&h=

First surface feature

finish-exploring-tomorrow.png?w=1022&h=

I would then finish exploring tomorrow (image is a poster if you want to use it and credit me)

Then to explore a crater

It was then time for me to head back but I decide to take a break before leaving

good-napping-on-dres.png?w=1030&h=

#Kerbals get tired

the-last-minute-on-dres.png?w=1037&h=

I was then ready to head home

I then transferred the last of our 1000 meters of dV in our lander to the orbiter that which saved me later on! Totally planned :)

It was then time to head home

I did the actual encounter in space to save fuel!

The hardest part was to get the right aerobrake but second time I got it

It led to a successful landing and that's it Expedition Dres over

I can't thank more than the people in here for helping me this mission was sure hard

It helps to have people help with this so I would like to thank all who helped me with this. This was done between surgery so it was hard to complete this mission.

The next missions are sure going to be walks in the park but after which we get into harder missions again

Officially happening next

Expedition Ike

Expedition Bop and Pol

Expedition Eeloo

Expedition Tylo

Expedition Laythe

Expedition Moho

Expedition Gilly (includes eve but due to @Matt Lowne's cinematic movie I had to name it Expedition Gilly)

19 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

You can aerobrake really really fast as long as you have heat shield coverage.  I think I logged 7,000 m/s on bad return from Moho.

Looked high but I tried it - hit the atmosphere at 7km/s with a 30km Pe in a Mk1-3 capsule with heat shield - and it handled it just fine. Got captured, threw chutes and landed. Putting stuff like a battery or reaction wheel between the capsule and the heat shield was suicide though. Tried 10km/s and for the longest time thought it was going to make it...

1 hour ago, mystifeid said:

Looked high but I tried it - hit the atmosphere at 7km/s with a 30km Pe

There's a Jool Aerobraking scenario in the game's tutorials. That one hits at over 7km/s.