"Scanner arm: vessel moved, aborting scan" - anyone else seeing this?

So I'm trying to scan a baobab with a medium scanner arm, and whatever I try, I get the above. I tuned the springs on the craft so it's steady as a rock, I can't even see any wobble at all when the scan is happening. Bug or am I missing something? Anyone else seeing this?

I got this when trying to scan a quartz on a slope (they are only in the mountains) with a plane.

I had to carefully adjust throttle to not slide back, nor move forward.

Try setting the wheel friction settings and brake settings to max

Thanks. Yes, I locked the brakes, and yes I tuned the suspension. It was an aircraft though and there was a slight incline so that was probably it. Couldn't see any  movement though, maybe some variable somewhere needs tuning. I'll try again.

Edit: finally did it, but I had to lock the rotors, set gear spring strength and suspension to maximum, roll around to the least inclined side of the baobab, and lean the chopper against the tree.

Methinks the arm is a little bit too sensitive to motion.

GCPqFMK.png

Edited by Guest

I had this yesterday too. Tried tweaking various things and raising the landing gear on my aircraft. Nothing worked but when I moved the craft a couple of meters and back again it went OK first time. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've tried to scan three different rocks on the Mun so far and it didn't recognize any of them as scannable objects. Do I just need to try a bunch more rocks or am I doing it wrong? My scanner was mounted directly to the bottom of a lander, so looking at a bunch of them was not really possible. Rover-mounted version is in LKO as of last night....

8 hours ago, herbal space program said:

My scanner was mounted directly to the bottom of a lander, so looking at a bunch of them was not really possible. Rover-mounted version is in LKO as of last night....

Well, the scanner arms are intended to be used on rovers. So putting them on a lander that cannot move over the surface is - let's say: daring. Even with a scanner arm mounted on a rover I sometimes have to maneuver a bit because something is in the way and the arm cannot deploy properly - sometimes because I'm just too close to the object I want to study.

But if you land within arms length (pun intended :cool:) of an object, and the scanner arm doesn't recognize it as scannable, then it's probably suface scatter as @VoidSquid said.

On an additional note, regarding the original topic "Scanner arm: vessel moved, aborting scan", I found this mod quite helpful for mitigating (mitigating, not completely removing) the issue:

EDIT: You can find out how the new BG surface features look like very easily (don't want to spoil it for you, @herbal space program, so I'll leave it to you to look it up), they're visually quite distinct from the default scatter.
Also, the console (F12) offers a setting "Surface Feature Finder", if you really need that.

Edited by VoidSquid

Thank you everybody for the helpful replies. I actually spotted what I assume is a mini-crater last night, but then I messed up deploying my rover so that it landed in one piece but uncrewed,  hatch-down, and without any signal to its probe core :/.  I was too tired to try again at that point, but at least now I know one of the things I'm looking for. It's also good to know that I can turn off the terrain scatter if it's too much like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Edited by herbal space program

• 7 months later...

Posting in this old thread, but that is really the point. This issue was reported 15 months ago and it's still causing problems, as I'm having the same problem as reported then.

Scanning a Baoba tree seems to be impossible with an aircraft, with brakes on or even with the undercarriage raised and the plane is sitting on its belly on the ground.

Tribro Kerman is no amused.

qiSObBE.png

Surely some kind of tollerance value for for the difference in distance, at the times at which the position of the vessel is obtained, could be make this more robust.

You need landing legs, wheel can't really achieve stability.

Or you need to be on top of the baobab, and let your plane slide into it until it won't move.

Maintaining craft (or even kerbals) static is harder than anything else in this physic engines. There's mods who mitigates this iirc, but I do not have their name on top of my head.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.