Jet Engine Nozzle Animation Issue

I'm trying to animate a jet engine's nozzle, and I'm having issues getting the animations to play correctly. I think it's a config file issue. 

I have two animations being used, one that opens the nozzle, and one that closes it. I've seen that the stock Panther has three animations, but I know others get away with two.

I've tried multiple different combinations for the animations to play at the proper time (mode switching, throttle level), and for the one that has the correct animations, bizarrely, it encounters the problem that the animation does not close the nozzle fully when it should close. 

Maybe it would help if I actually understood all of the module parameters for FXModuleAnimateThrottle? Primarily, what does "layer" refer to? Is it a KSP internal layer that layers animations? How does it work?

EDIT:

Discovered it was a bit of an animation curve related issue. That said, I still don't exactly understand how the layers interact, but my issue was resolved by changing one of the animations to remain a constant value, instead of throttling like I thought it should. But I still don't really understand the animation layers. 

EDIT:

Never mind, I was ridiculously overthinking this. 

Edited by Box of Stardust

• 1 month later...

I just do a single animation that includes the expanding of the petals and slightly shrinking with full throttle.

So far in my expertise of making jets, i haven't encountered a need for other animations.

EDIT:

Also it's true that i haven't made that many jets, but it's enough to say i've mastered jets.

Edited by KerboNerd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.