Hi Torq Engine(stock, breaking ground dlc) - create faster or heavier vehicles

Dear Humans :

Its an engine that can give increased torq than normally allowed by combining the breaking ground motors.

It has the high torq engine in front and the standard one at back for comparison.

This design uses the light weight rotator.  The design can also be applied to the heavier rotors which is more practical if the high torq is needed.

These images should be sufficient for any human in the correct order of intelligence to create such engines :

View of test craft.  Single rotator engine is in the back for test and comparison purposes.

9A4EEA907857111B4815E435F789994275E61BC8

View of Engine from the side

915E3E487EAF41BFED9C870AB3F00B566C7EEEA5

View of engine looking down :

FB76604788A37426FF09AC47D05C3F7495F00A3C

View of engine from angle :

C10E5E862C90C91EB53EDA27281E67879AD59166

Cconnection of fixed engine nodes to the support structure:

60D1F6A5396FDF186E04A8E04116863D5880D1D2

Connection of moving engine nodes to each other :

F8CC35B1356F59B8DA88FDA064CE8E4B71DD2245

However, the design file may be downloaded :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1772422135

Gavin786

Edited by Gavin786

Well, I could say "duh, that's the obvious way to get high torque", but the truth is that I didn't think of this myself earlier. And patent offices are littered with inventions that seem obvious in hindsight.

Those who - like me - don't like parts clipping through each other can also use the interstage nodes of the payload fairings for one side. (You probably want to disable the truss structure.)

16 hours ago, Yaeah said:

what kind of performance do you get from this set up? 

This setup is a demonstrator and not practical to put on any real vehicle; the purpose is to show the technique.   I was very impressed the the KSP physics engine allows this type of model to work.

When set up correctly(on real vehicle) I got pretty sweet results with a loss of around 5% or so(per engine node).  Loss is quite a bit higher on this model.

To use it on a real vehicle what is important to know is :

1. Struts are vectors that go from source part to their destination, they are not linked to parts intrinsically.  It is a pretty dumb implementation if you ask me but its how it works.  So if you save a model and the struts look ok when you reload the might not be as they will choose the part that is in the vector not necessarily what you originally connected to.

2. Link all the parts to a parent part. Make sure you are using precise editor or something than allows quality work as tolerances to get this right are small.  Do not use the support structure there shown with all the cubic octagonal struts.

I will post a heliplane that uses the technique.  Helicopters are perfect for demoing and testing this type of thing, I probably do an post on helicopter vs propeller blades sometime as they totally different beasts as I have done loads of experiments on it.  TLDR: If you want to test anything like this do yourself a favour and make a helicopter not a plane.

Energy is a square factor so to expect to get double the RPM with a perfect zero loss setup would require 4 engines, not 2.

143561134E58731BFBC26765DA2D6D58876DE5FA

I do have figures to hand for this design.

For the Dual Motors(4 in total) we got a thrust of 39KN.  Engine weighed 781Kg, giving a excess thrust of 49.94 N/Kg

For the Single Motor Setup(2 in total) we got a thrust of 21KN.  Engine weighed 411Kg, giving excess thrust of 51.09 N/Kg

So losses were pretty good as I measured it.

Gavin786

* Steamworks is not behaving right now so I will upload the model when I can

Edited by Gavin786

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.