Oxygen Not Included

Gargamel

Anybody else playing this?   It's still early access for now, and relatively cheap, but it's going live in July, so I don't know what the price will do then.

It's as if there was a hybrid baby between Dig-Dug, Minecraft, and SimCity.   Your start off in the middle of an asteroid and have to mine resources to survive.  What's amazing me is that it's another game you can Meta pretty easily.  As in, some players like to play it in a spread sheet.   There's even a mod to export daily reports to a spreadsheet.    

And the science involved is pretty neat too.  While not staying purely to the laws of physics, they seem to do a decent job of mimicking the gas laws.

@Gargamel, I got it sometime last year and played it quite a bit for a while. If you ever wanted to really dig into ISRU/colonization but lost patience with KSP bases exploding or ended up stuck in mod compatibility limbo, this is the game for you. 

I feel like with a little tweaking it could be a great way for people to intuitively learn thermodynamics in the similar to the way KSP teaches makes you accidentally learn rocket science while trying to (not) crash space jets.

I have played a lot of ONI.  The biggest challenge is managing heat.  You can grow crops and find water, make O2 and get through a couple hundred cycles.  Eventually the warmth from the surrounding areas seeps into your base and when it gets too warm to grow food, you be done for. 

Right now I have a working small scale automated cooling system (I can get into details if you'd like), that is keeping a small room of ice plants at ~3c, and also providing a little bit of cooling to the rest of the base.   It'll need scaling up eventually, but for now I'm well in the black for everything, and it's only my second playthrough.  (Ok, I'll admit to sandboxing in some algae and Coal to keep my going while I work out new ideas on progressing). 

@Nightside & @eberkain, I'm not sure if I understand how hats are supposed to work.   Any quick explanations?   (I have a lot of concepts I don't get yet, but I'll ask them as I run into them).

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

how hats are supposed to work

I think characters get an efficiency bonus for specializing, and access to certain advanced skills like the the environment suits. T trade off being that they need higher levels of decor to be happy.

I’m not totally sure if they always keep all trained skills or only those of the hat they are currently wearing.

2 minutes ago, Nightside said:

I’m not totally sure if they always keep all trained skills or only those of the hat they are currently wearing.

That's the rub I'm in now.   Right now, My prison colony is stable and self sufficient (water might become an issue in 50-75 cycles or so though, but there's reservoirs nearby).  I'm exploring a bit, digging tunnels out to find new stuff now, so a lot of specializations aren't being used that much.  I don't want to lose some of the cross training I've done.   But it's not an issue though.   I do need to find oil though to make plastic so I can make the tubes to get guys around the asteroid quicker....

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

That's the rub I'm in now.   Right now, My prison colony is stable and self sufficient (water might become an issue in 50-75 cycles or so though, but there's reservoirs nearby).  I'm exploring a bit, digging tunnels out to find new stuff now, so a lot of specializations aren't being used that much.  I don't want to lose some of the cross training I've done.   But it's not an issue though.   I do need to find oil though to make plastic so I can make the tubes to get guys around the asteroid quicker....

I’ve Never made it much beyond finding oil before having the colony collapse.

I think I tend to be impatient and get too many Dupes too quickly.

1 minute ago, Nightside said:

I think I tend to be impatient and get too many Dupes too quickly.

I've watched a few videos, and the really good players seem to limit the dupes early, I only had 8 or so for the longest time, now I have 16.  And that will be fine for now.  I have 500k kcal stored up, and a very viable farm running, so I'm good there.  

I can't say @guesswho2778, as I don't know what it was like before, but I'm hooked now.   I haven't touched KSP (gasp!) since I started playing ONI a week or so ago. 

In this playthrough, I'm keeping my base fairly cool by having two semi automated ice baths.   Then I pump water and air through there to cool the base.  So I'm keeping the base fairly temperate, and my greenhouses at the right temp, so I have plenty of food.   And I've been digging tunnels for exploration, so I've been also able to the trickier plants to keep alive inside a base.  And most of the dupes are reasonably happy, but I have a couple sour apples.  

My biggest issue is water.   I have plenty of reservoirs, but little means to manage it.    I initially designed a pretty spiffy water filtration plant, but it just can't handle the volume I'm trying to put through it right now.  I really wish they would include larger diameter pipes so that I can flow waste water back at a higher rate.    And my base isn't big enough to setup separate filtration sites yet.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Well, damn.    That was me trying to scroll back up through the thread using the w key instead of the up arrow.    ONI is growing on me LOL. 

@Gargamel I started playing around a few years ago then lost interest after a few months then got back into it around the time the germs update came around then lost interest again though i still found the game somewhat fun at the time i got a bit bored of starting a new colony every few weeks

my main problem last i was playing was power as i tried to avoid manual generators (when i didn't my colony would soon be overwhelmed and die) as much as i could so i made a hydrogen generator that ran off of 2 electrolysis things (i cant remember the exact names) and water recycler to reuse (the showers recycled water and the toilets got filtered de-germaified and sent to the generators)... that all ran fine but if the batteries ran low it would effect the gas pumps feeding the generators which would effect power output and so on then my colony would start to slowly die from lack of oxygen from the vents, lack of food from the farm and etc.... as i could rarely get past cycle 60-70 i stopped playing as it got a bit boring

and yeah i can say ive done that wwwww thing many times while obsessing over playing ONI

EDIT:

i redownloaded ONI and somehow made it to the surface and lived past cycle 200

Edited by guesswho2778

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.