[Breaking Ground] Is it possible to add a robotic function to the staging?

T1mo98

I've played around with the new Robotic and I've noticed there isn't any simple or obvious way to add them to the staging list. Is this function simply not available or does it require a couple actions to do?

If it isn't possible, I think it would be a good thing to be added in an update

Moving to Breaking Ground Discussion.

11 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

I've played around with the new Robotic and I've noticed there isn't any simple or obvious way to add them to the staging list. Is this function simply not available or does it require a couple actions to do?

No, the robotic parts aren't involved in staging in any way.

Though I'm kinda curious what sort of use case you have in mind? i.e. what exactly would you want staging to do to the part, and how would you use the functionality?

13 hours ago, Snark said:

Moving to Breaking Ground Discussion.

No, the robotic parts aren't involved in staging in any way.

Though I'm kinda curious what sort of use case you have in mind? i.e. what exactly would you want staging to do to the part, and how would you use the functionality?

I came across this in a very specific situation.
I was trying to recreate the system from the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy where a small hydraulic piston is used to push the second stage away from the first stage prior to SES. Right now I have to bind both the staging and piston to an Action Group. When activated with staging it could just simply extend to the maximum value it's set for, the same when you just use "Extend Piston" or "Set Maximum/Minimum Angle"

It's not a big feature or that important really, but just a small QoL thing that would increase creativity just that little bit.

You can do exactly what you want in stock.  Load your craft in VAB, go to the Actions tab, click on 'Stage.'  Then click on your hydraulic piston and select 'Extend Piston.'  Now, every time you hit the Stage button (usually Space Bar) it will trigger that Extend Piston action.  No matter, it works the first time, and every other time you might stage after that it'll already be extended so no matter.

12 hours ago, fourfa said:

You can do exactly what you want in stock.  Load your craft in VAB, go to the Actions tab, click on 'Stage.'  Then click on your hydraulic piston and select 'Extend Piston.'  Now, every time you hit the Stage button (usually Space Bar) it will trigger that Extend Piston action.  No matter, it works the first time, and every other time you might stage after that it'll already be extended so no matter.

That only works if it is supposed to extend in the first stage. Pretty worthless if it needs to be done in a later stage. 

a workaround could be doing the reverse :) 

use robotics to do automatic staging ^^

You could use separatrons thrust limiter to a KAL-1000 :) aim the separatrons at the attachment point (made from a throwaway part) then keep the thrust limiter curve to 0 until the right time, then change it to 100% in 0.01s. Then it's just a matter of timing the overheat with the pistons extension :) (of course, stage the separatrons at the same time of the Kal's startup)

Makeshift explosive bolt on a timer ;)

a small album to show the tech :p all solid engines are activated with a press on key 1, same time as the KAL-1000 :)

the SRB is surface attached to the fin, the separatrons are attached to the cubic strut, and aimed at the fin. when the separatrons overheat the fin, the booster flies away for the last dregs of it's fuel :p (i set it up to have around 12s of fuel, the separatrons fire at 11.5s ^^)

small album with the technique :)

https://imgur.com/a/yPCGUzZ

Edited by sgt_flyer
Minor edit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.