Breaking Ground: Deployable Science Dunce

djr5899

I feel like a real dummy here, although, I must admit the documentation of new features for Breaking Ground is severely lacking.  Anywho.....how in the world does deployable science work?  I've finally got to a spot in my career where I could try out these new features,  I can't get them to work, and KSPedia isn't even useful to keep my control station from wobbling.

Put a control station on the ground, and nothing is happening.  I am not getting any type of COMMs connection to it.  I've tried further away and/or damn near touching my landed craft.  I looked at a youtube video where a guy places the Control Station, and gets 0.99 Comms connection.  Mine is zero.  I have laid down other pieces (photo panel array, goo station experiment, communications) that all say connected but seem to be lacking power.

Totally confused on how to make this work, and the lack of documentation for it is frustrating.  There are no Tutorials here in the forum that I see, and I haven't found anything really good on YouTube from the user community.

Help?

Moving to Breaking Ground Support.

17 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

Mine is zero.  I have laid down other pieces (photo panel array, goo station experiment, communications) that all say connected but seem to be lacking power. 

Could you provide a few more details? Specifically,

- exactly which components do you have deployed

- how many of each

- which profession of kerbal deployed them (in particular, for any solar panels, did you use an engineer and, if so, what level)

I started off with just the Experiment Control Station.  In the YouTube video I was watching, the player places just the control station, looks at the details, and sees his Comm signal as 0.99.  Mine always shows as zero.  I am on the Mun (video is on Minmus, and starts the deploying science part around the 22 minute mark)

I tried putting down a photovoltaic panel, a ground commuotron station, and the mystery good experiment.  All of them say connected.  All of them say they have no power.  My Experiment Control Station says something like Low Voltage.

All parts were placed by my Level 2 Scientist.

Below is the video I was using, as well as a screenshot of my deployment with nothing working.  (re-arranged items, and the Commuontron in the background is purposely set to disabled for the moment).

NfqL2Tp.png

It says so in the screenshot, in the PAW of the control station: "Total Power Needed: 2 Low Voltage" and "Total Power Available: 1" So your experiment station doesn't have enough power, and now nothing works...

FYI: the amount of power that a solar panel or RTG generates depends on the type and level of Kerbal that places it:  1 unit of power if placed by a Pilot or Scientist of any level, 2 levels of power if placed by an Engineer of level 0 or 1, more power with higher levels of Engineers.

6 hours ago, AHHans said:

It says so in the screenshot, in the PAW of the control station: "Total Power Needed: 2 Low Voltage" and "Total Power Available: 1" So your experiment station doesn't have enough power, and now nothing works...

FYI: the amount of power that a solar panel or RTG generates depends on the type and level of Kerbal that places it:  1 unit of power if placed by a Pilot or Scientist of any level, 2 levels of power if placed by an Engineer of level 0 or 1, more power with higher levels of Engineers.

I think the key word in your response is Engineer.  I did not see anything in KSPedia that told me I needed to use an Engineer.  To me, I'm placing Science....I would want to use Scientist.  So I believe the fact that I am using a Level 2 Scientist is likely the cause of the problem.

Again, it's on me if I missed it in KSPedia, but in game tutorials on using deploying the science and using the new robotics parts would have been nice.  As someone that visits the forums, I would have settled for a good Tutorial on here.

12 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

To me, I'm placing Science....I would want to use Scientist. 

That is indeed true for the science experiments. But the power sources need an Engineer for max output.

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

That is indeed true for the science experiments. But the power sources need an Engineer for max output.

That kind of stinks and severely limits the ease of use of these devices.  To most efficiently use these parts, I need 3 kerbalnauts:

• I need a pilot to land on the surface with the most ease, the ability to use SAS controls.
  • I need an Engineer to setup the Control Station, Power, and Communications
  • I need a Scientist to setup the Experiments.

Takes just the MK2 Lander Can, my standard setup, out of the picture.  I either need to put to MK2s, add an MK1 Lander Can, or use an MK1-3 Command Pod.

1 hour ago, djr5899 said:

That kind of stinks and severely limits the ease of use of these devices.  To most efficiently use these parts, I need 3 kerbalnauts: 

Yupp! I believe that was indeed the idea behind that: to motivate people to bring Kerbals of all three professions on the expeditions.

1 hour ago, djr5899 said:

I need an Engineer to setup the Control Station, Power, and Communications

An, no. The Engineer only gives a bonus to power production. Control and (afaik) Communications can be placed by anyone.

Or you could "just" bring more power units (solar panels, or RTGs) and place them by a scientist or pilot.

1 hour ago, jost said:

Or use a probe module to get rid of the pilot

But how will Valentina get her "Planted Flag on Duna" achievement? :D (Ike is easy, I can just make two trips to Ike with my lander.)

Just to wrap up, built a bigger landing craft, took an engineer with me along with scientist, a pilot, and had room for a dog in the 4th seat.  Everything worked fine this time when I had the Engineer place the power and the Control station.

Thanks for the help!

• 7 months later...

Slap an inflatable docking port on top of the MK Lander can, inflate it, and put a kerbal inside for the ride to the surface.  Or for a more budget solution, slap a folding chair on top and make him sit out in the vacuum for the ride down. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

hi so im having similar issues in that I've put everything down on "mun" with the right people for the right jobs, facing the sun, with enough power ... but none of my experiments are working -.- its probably something simple but kts driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated ^__^

On 8/19/2020 at 4:29 PM, Djse3 said:

hi so im having similar issues in that I've put everything down on "mun" with the right people for the right jobs, facing the sun, with enough power ... but none of my experiments are working -.- its probably something simple but kts driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated ^__^

Try warping for a few days and see if you get some messages about science earnings. I also thought mine weren't working but it turned out they were just working very slowly. 

• 5 months later...

I don't even get a panel to readout anything... just camera resets and focus.  I'm on the KSC Runway testing it out.  So No blocking of anything.  My Engineer... not sure how to tell his level - he has one star and I'm only placing a control and solar panel so a level 1 should be all I need.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2021 at 2:46 AM, Xtra said:

I don't even get a panel to readout anything... just camera resets and focus.  I'm on the KSC Runway testing it out.  So No blocking of anything.  My Engineer... not sure how to tell his level - he has one star and I'm only placing a control and solar panel so a level 1 should be all I need.

Exactly My Problem, I have placed them on the surface of the Mun. Plenty of Sun,  Placed Correctly with the Scientist, and Engineer.  No Panel to get a Readout..  I have Left clicked it, Right Clicked it.  Is there a Keyboard Activating Key?  Like Alt or Shift or even a number or letter.. 

djr5899  This was an Image in his Post.  (Below) I do not get any of this info..  just the Aim Camera, and Reset Camera..

Would Like to see this Info on my Game..   HOW?   A proper, step by step Tutorial going into depth, would be nice..   Like .. Does the Engineer have to have at least one Star,  Also i did not see a down button in m Inventory.  I just placed them all directly from the Container Inventory,  My Kerbals, only have two Inventory Spaces..   And they are filled with a JetPack and a Parachute,  No room for anything else, not even a paperclip.. LOL ..  Anyways..  Any Help would be greatly appreciated..  Thanks..

NfqL2Tp.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.