KSP Loading... Preview: 1.7.3 Same Vessel Interactions

St4rdust

3 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Will there be intervessel docking aswell? 

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

always has been.

3 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Really? So if, for example, you were doing a high fidelity replication of the SpaceX Cargo Dragon berthing, with a robotic arm, you wouldnt need to detach the arm for the capsule to dock to the docking port?

I just tested this on ideal conditions and got two docking ports on the same craft to connect. This is I believe the first time this has succeeded for me.

In my perfect scenario the ports were perfectly lined up in the VAB with only a piston to bring them exactly together.

I suspect in real-Kerbal conditions the required exact angle and lack of lateral deviation is just too hard to achieve.

But this gives me hope and will spur further tests.

4 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I just tested this on ideal conditions and got two docking ports on the same craft to connect. This is I believe the first time this has succeeded for me.

In my perfect scenario the ports were perfectly lined up in the VAB with only a piston to bring them exactly together.

I suspect in real-Kerbal conditions the required exact angle and lack of lateral deviation is just too hard to achieve.

But this gives me hope and will spur further tests.

If anyone thought docking by RCS was tedious, this will be a nightmare!

also: are you saying that this already works in 1.7.2?

Edited by Nightside

10 minutes ago, Nightside said:

If anyone thought docking by RCS was tedious, this will be a nightmare!

also: are you saying that this already works in 1.7.2?

Yes. In fact I tested it in 1.7.1 because I didn't bother upgrading my pure stock install.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't want to clog up this thread any further but for completeness, this is buggy at best. If you come together slow and exact and don't ever clip, the ports will dock on the same vessel even now (I tested in 1.7.1). If however you fail at any of those things one time, the ports will never dock.

I will be starting a new thread, and perhaps a bug report, on this in the next couple days. I don't have the ability right now to post craft or pics or vids.

Edited by 5thHorseman

KSP is reaching a point of inflection! Dude… This is going to be interesting… Very interesting! :)

I'm foreseeing a whole new Era for Rube Goldberg machines on KSP!!!

Edited by Lisias
Hit "save" too soon.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

OK...this could be very useful.

@damonvv you may be able to berth your Dragon spacecraft now...

Nope. This will not fix the bug where you can dock a part to the same vessel

Edited by damonvv

7 hours ago, damonvv said:

Nope. This will not fix the bug where you can dock a part to the same vessel

Wouldn't you be able to grab the spacecraft with your robotic arm, and then set the two ports which you intend to dock together to inter-vessel interaction? If you managed to get them lined up well enough, they'd probably dock.

18 hours ago, St4rdust said:

We are already working on 1.7.3,

Could the developers please make sure that turning on and off part collisions can be controlled via action groups? This will be very important. 

The video shows tedious selecting of each part placed in symmetry; while some builders will want that level of control, tedious clicking could be reduced if a checkbox, or modifier key during part selection, could be added to apply collision setting to all parts linked in symmetry.

19 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Will there be intervessel docking aswell? 

19 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

always has been.

Intelligent, automatic intervessel undocking is the more prominent stumbling block here.

Edited by Poodmund
Double post

I would like to suggest eventually having a more complete version of same-vessel interactions. Any two parts that are detected as clipping in the editor have their interactions disabled, while any two parts which are definitely not clipping have their interactions disabled. I do miss the old days when we could have the much more realistic intravessel physics (and especially when tricouplers were somewhat usable without struts rather than kraken city in their current implementation)  but part clipping is also so much more convenient. Still, the option to have it, even just per-part, is still a really nice change and I'm really looking forward to playing with that. You might even say, as you hear the distant echoes of a steam locomotive's whistle... that I'm a little... hyped.

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

If intravessel docking works then we could make a docking port powered engine. Free energy for all!

Intravessel docking always worked, it's just the magnetic acquisition doesn't.

33 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@MechBFP I doubt docking magnets are planned for intravessel interactions. Would be nice if they are, but that's way beyond enabling simple collider interactions, the docking module will need another rewrite for that.

Unless you have access to the source code, why would you think that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.