KSP Loading... Preview: 1.7.3 Same Vessel Interactions

St4rdust

4 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Unfortunately KSP doesn’t allow parts to be connected to other parts like that. You can only attach a part to a single attachement node at a time.The other end of the hydraulic would just be floating in the air. 

You can strut the piston to the arm. I'm not sure if it'd work in this specific case but I did make a structure with pistons and hinges that was held in place by a strut.

Pic in spoiler:

Spoiler

extended.jpg

I'm not sure what a pin does that an unmotorized hinge couldn't, but I'll admit I haven't given it much thought. I'll try to make the above diagram in KSP later and post the results if they work.

3 hours ago, Loskene said:

Connect the open ends with struts, it works.

Really, the linear pistons should be implemented AS struts with pinned ends (or there should be parts like that; there are certainly use cases for fixed-end telescoping devices). That would both ease placement and automatically allow the kind of mechanisms where pistons are normally used in real life.

EDIT: @MechBFP beat me to the punch on suggesting that concept, but all that means is we needs it.

Edited by pincushionman

4 hours ago, MechBFP said:

If it was all one piece then it would work.

You can’t create circles of any kind in the VAB because crafts are tree structures. 

Eeh, details. As 5thhorseman pointed out, creative use of struts can tie it together.

10 hours ago, pincushionman said:

Really, the linear pistons should be implemented AS struts with pinned ends (or there should be parts like that; there are certainly use cases for fixed-end telescoping devices). That would both ease placement and automatically allow the kind of mechanisms where pistons are normally used in real life.

And we should be able to draw wings with the mouse and stretch tanks out so our Saturn V replicas don't have 3 tanks stacked on top of each other. But this is a "put discrete parts together in creative ways" game. I'm not saying what you want wouldn't be awesome. I'm saying it's against the game's design paradigm.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, St4rdust said:

“Same Vessel Interaction”: This advanced option will allow parts from the same vessel to collide with each other, so you will need to ensure that the selected parts don't clip each other. This option will have to be turned on per part, while the default will remain off.

So, seeing as in-vessel collisions are now being made possible, can we finally get rid of the CANNOT DEPLOY WHILE STOWED mechanic? Pretty please?

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

So, seeing as in-vessel collisions are now being made possible, can we finally get rid of the CANNOT DEPLOY WHILE STOWED mechanic? Pretty please?

Please, first thing I do with any landing gear is make sure "deploy while stowed" is enabled. It's just a pointless headache that gets in the way of making things rather than helps at all.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:47 PM, GregroxMun said:

I would like to suggest eventually having a more complete version of same-vessel interactions. Any two parts that are detected as clipping in the editor have their interactions disabled, while any two parts which are definitely not clipping have their interactions disabled. I do miss the old days when we could have the much more realistic intravessel physics (and especially when tricouplers were somewhat usable without struts rather than kraken city in their current implementation)  but part clipping is also so much more convenient. Still, the option to have it, even just per-part, is still a really nice change and I'm really looking forward to playing with that. You might even say, as you hear the distant echoes of a steam locomotive's whistle... that I'm a little... hyped.

I would be concerned about the performance impact of lots of interacting parts on a single vessel.  Even if they are not touching, just checking to see if they are touching takes a few cycles, and the number of interaction checks might be exponential...

2 hours ago, Terwin said:

I would be concerned about the performance impact of lots of interacting parts on a single vessel.  Even if they are not touching, just checking to see if they are touching takes a few cycles, and the number of interaction checks might be exponential...

We used to have intra-vessel interaction, it wasn't removed for performance reasons. It was removed so we could do part clipping in the VAB.

Edited by GregroxMun

3 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

You could do that before, too,  EVA Kerbals have always been "separate ships" so have always been able to collide with ship parts.

Yes, but now you'll be able to create a set of gears to have a Kerbal-powered rover, or something.

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

Yes, but now you'll be able to create a set of gears to have a Kerbal-powered rover, or something.

Yes, you could make gears this way.  But the problem is, the parts most suitable for gear teeth are also the parts you're mostly likely to want to clip on a regular basis.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, St4rdust said:

Such an example is “Same Vessel Interaction”: This advanced option will allow parts from the same vessel to collide with each other...

... that's great. Now that I have finally solved and implemented this for Infernal Robotics Next you do this in stock... :/

On 7/6/2019 at 3:44 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

... that's great. Now that I have finally solved and implemented this for Infernal Robotics Next you do this in stock... :/

There're people playing on 1.3.1 and 1.4.x yet. :)

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

There're people playing on 1.3.1 and 1.4.x yet.

Indeed.  The most recent RP-1 release (a couple of months old atm) is still for 1.3.1.  (They are still working on a 1.6 update, but they depend on a lot of mods, and getting them all working together and on the same ksp version takes a while).

Can someone explain how this feature will work with deployed landing gear on a planet surface?  Will Kerbals once again be able to bump their little helmets against a landing gear and not explode? Or will landing strut parts continue to be only phantom - allowing "walk through"?

In other words, @SQUAD, kindly reshoot that video after swapping all those elevons with LT-2 landing struts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.