(sigh) My first Mun mission has turned into a disaster

Hello everyone! It's been some time since my last post and some stuff happened during that time. After I got KSP, I decided that I should go to the Mun ASAP. It's been a couple of weeks, and I got into Mun orbit and landed my mk1 rocket and my kerbnaut on the mun. I was happy at first, but then things went kraken-wrong.

So right after I landed on Mun after some unsuccesful tries(engines exploding and kerbonaut crashing), I got my brave Jebediah to have an EVA and practice jetpack skills. But a few seconds later I went out, my little mk1 ship FELL DOWN suddeny without a reason. At first, I wasn't concerned. I already . lifted my ship using RCS when I landed badly. But the thing is......

it landed right on the crew hatch. The crew hatch is directly facing the Mun, which means I cannot go into the ship and lift it up or escape Mun.

Fortunately, i have quicksaved my progress as soon as I landed. But unfortunately, I accidentally quick saved when my ship fell over.

SO guys, I think that's my situation. My ship is a MK1 rocket, and only the last stage remains. It is made up of Mk1 command pod, FL-T400, LV-909 terrier, parachute, rcs thrusters, rcs fuel tank and 4 landing struts. I currently have half of my fuel(liquid fuel not the rcs one) left, and a plenty for my stranded Jebediah's jetpack.

What should Ido? I would've stranded the kerbonaut if it was someone else, but it is Jebediah. It will be a dishonor for me to leave him there. So should I make a rescue rocket? Or is there a way to Lift my ship and enter it? How should the rescue ship be made?

Any advice or scolding is welcome.

depending how light your ship is, you can try bumping into it with jetpack on. If not that sounds like a perfect timing for a first Mun problem rescue mission heh heh

Edited by merlinux

1 hour ago, merlinux said:

depending how light your ship is, you can try bumping into it with jetpack on. If not that sounds like a perfect timing for a first Mun problem rescue mission heh heh

Oh. That is actually a good idea. Maybe I shall bump poor Jeb to a 2t space ship hehe^.^

1 hour ago, mystifeid said:

Try reading @Geonovast's answer in this thread.

Well, I read it, and it's kinda complicated, and I don't think I'm bothered to do that. Also, I've tried doing alt + f9, and it only showed 3(which all are bad). So, yeah, Iguess I'll make a rescue thingy if that buping strategy doesn't work.

3 hours ago, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

Well, I read it, and it's kinda complicated, and I don't think I'm bothered to do that. Also, I've tried doing alt + f9, and it only showed 3(which all are bad). So, yeah, Iguess I'll make a rescue thingy if that buping strategy doesn't work.

It's not that complicated.  It's just that file management can be difficult to explain to some people through text.  I've had to mention the process a few times before, I might do a short video explaining how to do it.  It would be nice if the Load Save feature in KSP supported folders, so you could just pick the backup files from the menu without moving and files first.

Another option, and I've done this before, is to Alt-12 the ship to Mun orbit.  Then Alt-12 Jeb to rendezvous with the ship.  Puff over to it and get in.  Then use the Alt-12 menu to turn on infinite fuel.  Re-land.  Turn infinite fuel back off.  Now you're on the Mun's surface, with the same amount of fuel as you started with.... Just probably not in the same spot.  Although if this is your first trip to the Mun, that's unlikely to matter.

It's not perfect, but it's an option when game-save-fu isn't an option.

3 hours ago, Siska said:

Well, if you have payload module, when you open it it, if the doors are turned towards ground, it actually flips the whole rocket. Try if kerbal can open it while outside caspule.

Well, 

a. I don't have a payload thing

b. I 'm not sure it'll work without being in the command pod.

But, still, thanks. Probably next time.

16 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

It's not that complicated.  It's just that file management can be difficult to explain to some people through text.  I've had to mention the process a few times before, I might do a short video explaining how to do it.  It would be nice if the Load Save feature in KSP supported folders, so you could just pick the backup files from the menu without moving and files first.

Another option, and I've done this before, is to Alt-12 the ship to Mun orbit.  Then Alt-12 Jeb to rendezvous with the ship.  Puff over to it and get in.  Then use the Alt-12 menu to turn on infinite fuel.  Re-land.  Turn infinite fuel back off.  Now you're on the Mun's surface, with the same amount of fuel as you started with.... Just probably not in the same spot.  Although if this is your first trip to the Mun, that's unlikely to matter.

It's not perfect, but it's an option when game-save-fu isn't an option.

Ah. I tried it again by reading it carefully(cause my brain is as big as kerbal's) , and I think I did it! I'm such an idiot. 

Thank you for that alt f12 thing. I'm pretty sure that it willbe useful for this and many other missons.

Happy KSP's 8th Birthday!!!!

Another option, kinda cheaty but not fundamentally different from reloading -- go into the alt-f12 menu, select "cheats," then "hack gravity" and turn it down a bunch.  Then you should be able to easily right the ship with reaction wheels or RCS.  The "radial out" SAS command is works well for this.  

Of course, this assumes you have a probe core or Kerbal onboard to operate the lander.  Though you might also use this to augment the jetpack-push strategy.

or just install mod that allows you to teleport vessel.

select vessel without kerbal in it, and just spawn it to the same location at altitude 50m

it will land gently on the surface with 1.7 m/s

If the rocket is tall and thin with lots of torque, I've had luck spinning it like a top. it tends to either raise the capsule or engine off the ground. If the capsule comes up, hit the gas. If the engine comes up, don't hit the gas :) but try again, perhaps spinning backwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.