Naming a Moon Base?

A Moon base is becoming an ever more likely possibility in the coming decades, thanks to renewed interest from both governments and commercial entities alike. But what should we name such a moon base? And what naming conventions, if any, should we employ for future extraterrestrial outposts?

Personally I like the idea of naming the base after it's location, e.g Shackleton base for Shackleton crater, Tycho base for Tycho crater etc. What do you think?

11 minutes ago, razark said:

Naming it after the location seems to be the precedent that's been set.

I would not argue if it was named Armstrong [Base|Station], either.

11 minutes ago, razark said:

Naming it after the location seems to be the precedent that's been set.

This will never stick but... Giant Leap?

Sounds diginified... gives hope that the base will grow beyond it's meagre beginnings.

If we can even build half the infrastructure we build in KSP on the moon that would be impressive.

Edited by Spacescifi

23 minutes ago, razark said:

If the base is American and not international then perhaps they might call it Kennedy base? Although personally I think its best to keep base names apolitical, name them after Explorers and such. Alternatively, there are a lot of lunar deities to choose from, you could always name the base after one of those. Moon Base Diana has a nice ring to it.

4 minutes ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

If the base is American and not international then perhaps they might call it Kennedy base? Although personally I think its best to keep base names apolitical, name them after Explorers and such. Alternatively, there are a lot of lunar deities to choose from, you could always name the base after one of those. Moon Base Diana has a nice ring to it.

A moon god? The comic book heroes of the ancients? Well.... they did do that with rest of the planets.

But nothing saying we can't change it up.

4 minutes ago, Spacescifi said:

A moon god? The comic book heroes of the ancients? Well.... they did do that with rest of the planets.

But nothing saying we can't change it up.

You already proposed a moon God! Luna - the Roman goddess of the moon! I agree though, we've already used up too many deities in naming planets, they've become a bit cliche.

11 minutes ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

If the base is American and not international then perhaps they might call it Kennedy base?

I'd doubt that, with the existence of KSC.  Of course, Armstrong Flight Research Center already had that name.

5 minutes ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

You already proposed a moon God! Luna - the Roman goddess of the moon! I agree though, we've already used up too many deities in naming planets, they've become a bit cliche.

That os only because I did not realize it, like most things in the western world, was based on greco-roman religion.

Where I grew up, most places had names given by explorers based on whatever saint’s birthday it happened to be that day, unless something more interesting happened. 

Man Eaten Lake was always a favorite.

so depending on how the voyage out goes... Man Eaten Base?

21 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Where I grew up, most places had names given by explorers based on whatever saint’s birthday it happened to be that day, unless something more interesting happened.

That's why so many lakes are named "Fish Lake".

There is a lake near me named "Swimming Deer Lake", and I'm pretty sure I can guess how that lake got named.

8 hours ago, cubinator said:

Naming it after the location sounds pretty good. 

"Greystone Inn"

(Btw, it's really an inn)

7 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

Luna?

"Lunatic Home"
"Asylum of Lunacy" (Lovecraft likes this)

6 hours ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

If the base is American and not international then perhaps they might call it Kennedy base?

"Hoch Peenemünde", after von Braun's Saturn V.

10 hours ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

naming the base after it's location, e.g Shackleton base for Shackleton crater, Tycho base for Tycho crater etc. What do you think?

That's great!

Epidemy base for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palus_Epidemiarum
Decay base for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palus_Putredinis

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.