So how much ΔV has the Gull got in orbit? And where did the boosters go? Usually you decouple the jets on a horizontal shuttle.
I think it would have been classed as a Shuttle according to the challenge.

Edited by fulgur

14 minutes ago, fulgur said:

So how much ΔV has the Gull got in orbit? And where did the boosters go? Usually you decouple the jets on a horizontal shuttle.
I think it would have been classed as a Shuttle according to the challenge.

No... I was wrong. The Gull is not an SSTO. I took a weeklong break between building it and playing this save... my memory failed me again.

Wait... what challenge?

A shuttle is not an SSTO. A shuttle has stages, but is a spaceplane. Is the Gull a spaceplane or just a regular plane? Because if it has rockets attached to the side to get it into orbit, it's still a spaceplane.

So how does it get into orbit? And if it is

A "reusable" winged Orbiter which carries Kerbals (and cargo for any mission beyond STS-1a) to orbit and back and is capable of a horizontal landing - Shuttle Challenge v5 Official Definition

as it clearly is, then it is a shuttle. Also, where's it going?

The challenge is this: Shuttle Challenge v5. You do not have to have a traditional shuttle; anything meeting the above definition counts. And it's got plenty of really cool designs in its 86-page history [at the time of writing].

@fulgur Well the shuttle challenge is interesting. There are two of them (one now) attached to a transfer stage in orbit above Laythe. I was going to post a panel about how it works, but I just want to get this series finished. I'm tired of it and I've got something i really want to do waiting for this to be done...

Where is it going? Next panel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.