Do you play with G-Force and Pressure Limits on?

jpinard

I do, it's not overly difficult.  Just takes some getting used to.  It also allows you to run High-G tourist contracts if you're playing career - take a number of tourists either flying, sub-orbital or in orbit & make them pass out.  The flying & sub-orbital ones are fun, the orbital ones kind of a pain. 

The primary drawback is you can only go something like 300m underwater on Kerbin before the parts get crushed by pressure.  There are some mod parts intended to be submarine parts that have higher pressure limits, but every single stock part has a pretty low pressure limit.

If you don't like it, you can always go into settings & turn those back off.

Yes, I do play with them enabled, mostly for the realism regarding kerbals fainting from G-force, as this adds some limiting factor to turns in maneuverable planes and re-entry velocities. Overall however, I wouldn’t say it adds that much difficulty to the game, especially with the part limits, as 40 atmospheres (which I believe is the pressure limit) is only obtainable deep underwater or when you’re about to reach 0 altitude on Jool, at which point you’re doomed anyway. The 50 G limit is negligible nearly 100% of the time, too, unless you’re attempting some crazy steep entry into an atmosphere at ludicrous speed. 

As far as disabling it goes, can’t you just turn it off in the difficulty settings, or is this some change I’m not aware of?

yeah I play with them enabled (and plasma black out too, although I never experience that one).  Mostly because I enjoy doing a sharp pitch or bank before approaching the runway to give enough Gs to knock out all the tourists but keep the pilot conscious! I also like it because it will rip a space plane apart if you try to pull overly sharp turns during reentry.

I play with G-Force on kerbals and have played a few saves with G-force on parts. Kerbal G-force is honestly way too easy. You only ever have kerbals pass out when you have extremely unrealistic re-entry profiles from eccentric orbits. I haven't tried it with a full on space plane before, but I have tested it before in planes going 450~ m/s at sea level. Slowing down/minor corse correction is fine, but if you want to make any major maneuvers it's very likely your wings would be blown off.

G-force limits for kerbals and plasma blackout, yes - those add a bit of reasonably sensible constraints to deal with, and they work pretty much as one would expect.

G-force limits and pressure limits for parts, no - because Squad never did anything with these for the stock parts, other than copy/paste the exact same silly placeholder values everywhere. It makes absolutely no sense that eg. a solid metal girder buckles as quickly as a fragile scientific instrument or an antenna. Or that a flat metal plate gets crushed under pressure as if it were an empty pizza box. If they ever decide to revisit these and fill in some half-decent values, we might get some use out of these features.

as a player who has almost 1000 hours in KSP and have yet only now landed on Tylo, yes, i do play with G-forces and pressure limits. Why? For science of course! also, as @swjr-swis mentioned, plasma blackouts indeed add constraints, that's why i love them :D. so yeah... i guys you must play with them to feel the ksp.

I turn them on every 4th or 5th time I start a new career. I never really notice them and don't like the "make me pass out" contracts (though the first set of ships was fun to make), so the next few careers I don't use them. Then I start thinking maybe it'd be fun so I try them again, and I'm wrong. :D

9 hours ago, katateochi said:

yeah I play with them enabled (and plasma black out too, although I never experience that one).  Mostly because I enjoy doing a sharp pitch or bank before approaching the runway to give enough Gs to knock out all the tourists but keep the pilot conscious! I also like it because it will rip a space plane apart if you try to pull overly sharp turns during reentry.

I think a lot of people hjere are conflating kerbal G force limits, and part G force limits.

Anyway, I always play with them on, but I don't think it affects much. I may have lost some craft to them playing in 3x (I think sigma dimensions must scale the heating), when I come in from about 4,000 m/s. I'm not sure if its G forces destroying parts, or G forces ripping parts off, in a rapid unplanned disassembly during reentry, it can be hard to tell.

Plasma blackout on the other hand, I encounter all the time, and is a major problem with reentry of unmanned spaceplanes. If you have crew, you won't even notice it. Its not like you're likely to be transmitting science during peak heating, probe SAS still works too, so follow pro/retrograde works. Its only when you want manual control without a kerbal (such as adjusting your flightpath on a SSTO returning to KSC) that you'll notice it.

I sometimes turn it off, because the probe cores lack basic features like "keep the wings level", that a probe would easily be able to do without a connection to KSC.

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I sometimes turn it off, because the probe cores lack basic features like "keep the wings level", that a probe would easily be able to do without a connection to KSC. 

This especially is annoying. If you set your probe core to SAS on + hold retrograde, which is perfect for a capsule with a heatshield, I should be able to hold that. But the game decides to change it during blackout to SAS on + hold current heading instead of hold retrograde, which can cause the vehicle to peak from behind the heatshield and explode. Annoying!

Ummm, but it can stick to hold retrograde, and you can still switch between probe modes during a blackout (unless its a difficulty setting, like one where when you lose signal you can still fire the engines, but 0 or 100% thrust, no fine control- which I keep on since a probe should be able to be programed to fire its engines at a certain time/execute a maneuver node)

G-force limits: Yes, as others have said, it's not really that bad and you generally have to try to destroy your craft.

Pressure limits: No, unless something has changed every part has the same depth limit from pressure which isn't very far down. If you'd like to explore the sea at any point, you'll want pressure limits off.

Both can be turned on and off at will, at any time in the options menu afaik.

• 3 years later...
On 6/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, Athen said:

I play with G-Force on kerbals and have played a few saves with G-force on parts. Kerbal G-force is honestly way too easy. You only ever have kerbals pass out when you have extremely unrealistic re-entry profiles from eccentric orbits. I haven't tried it with a full on space plane before, but I have tested it before in planes going 450~ m/s at sea level. Slowing down/minor corse correction is fine, but if you want to make any major maneuvers it's very likely your wings would be blown off.

Do parts have G-Force limits? Where can we find these?

Someone on Reddit had their Science-Jr fail on re-entry and I’m not 100% sure if it’s caused by reheating, radial part failing/smashing into the Jr, or ‘compressive’ G-forces…

:rolleyes:
hmm… on re-watching their clip, I do think it was heating (even if I’d not expect the Jr to be getting heated, at least not directly)

2 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

Do parts have G-Force limits? Where can we find these?

According to the wiki, all parts have G-limits, but 99% of the time it's set to 50g.  Only wheels and decouplers have a different value, so I think it was copy-pasted ridiculously high as an anti-kraken measure.

@Flush Foot Science Jrs are very susceptible to heat and very likely to explode on re-entry, if you’re trying to get them down onto a planet with an atmosphere then you’ll need to protect them from both the direct heat of being exposed to the airflow during re-entry and from heat conducted through other parts. Sticking a structural part such as a fairing base or service bay directly above the heatshield usually does the job, though you may still want to put the samples in a science return box or two just in case.

As for pressure and G-limits, they’re set generously high along with temperature limits and impact tolerance. The only place you can get close to the pressure limit is close to “sea level” on Jool.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep G-limits on but don't typically experience enough force to have it make a difference to anyone other than 0- & 1-star non-pilots.

I never enabled pressure limits for two reasons: as far as I know all the parts in the game were never given anything other than placeholder limits which are all identical, so it's basically an unfinished feature which is effectively not implemented due to how high the limits are. The other reason is that occasionally craft could potentially experience momentary physics glitches for a single frame upon loading, collisions, etc., and I'd rather not have part limits triggered by such. (Kerbals getting pinged off of the vessel hatch once their collision loads after going on EVA is an example of the kind of thing I mean.)

On 6/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, Cavscout74 said:

The primary drawback is you can only go something like 300m underwater on Kerbin before the parts get crushed by pressure.

KSP has water pressure? No for real, like i actually didn't know that. :o

On 3/23/2023 at 4:25 PM, Fraktal said:

According to the wiki, all parts have G-limits, but 99% of the time it's set to 50g.  

Why can't we have a 50g limit? These kerbals are so spoiled lol

Edited by DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE

5 hours ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

KSP has water pressure? No for real, like i actually didn't know that. :o

It does, but only noticeable if part pressure limits are on.   It was never really fully implemented though - as far as I can remember, all stock parts crush at the same depth, giving the ~300m depth limit on Kerbin.   Same reason Jool probes fail at a certain altitude if pressure limits are on.   There are a few mods that add parts meant and/or modify existing parts to survive higher pressures.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.