Parachutes not deploying while stowed

Hi

I'm getting a bug here on craft that previously worked great. It's probably an issue with the fairing. I use a fairing attached to the escape tower which jettisons. 

After that jettisons the parachutes still think the fairing is there. The fairing was never deployed just jettisoned, I think that's why. But it's breaking my awesome Saturn V tribute!  Help!

A few years ago, during a Squad dev meeting: "KSP players clearly require protection and guidance, we can't leave important decisions to them. Let's instead have an algorithm decide when parts can perform their main functions or not. Let's also make this non-optional. I mean, what could possibly go wrong..."

Present day, at the worst possible moments during play:  CANNOT DEPLOY WHILE STOWED   :o:mad:

20 minutes ago, schwank said:

The fairing was never deployed just jettisoned,

The recent fix to https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/20354 in 1.7
caused another bug https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/21915

So now, after separation, the fairing is now waiting to be deployed. 
The parachutes should be able to deploy because the fairing is open at one end, but KSP has not noticed that.   Probably quicksave/quickload will make KSP notice the open end let the parachute come out for you.

43 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

A few years ago, during a Squad dev meeting: "KSP players clearly require protection and guidance, we can't leave important decisions to them. Let's instead have an algorithm decide when parts can perform their main functions or not. Let's also make this non-optional. I mean, what could possibly go wrong..."

Also: Community: “when I do [exotic thing], my Kerbals explode” Squad: “well, don’t do [exotic thing] then.” community: “That’s not enough! Prevent us from doing that!”

I’d rather go easy on this and use it as a showcase that software is hard, and even simple decisions can have unforeseen consequences. Whenever we complain about something not being fixed—it’s not always that easy.

2 hours ago, OHara said:

The parachutes should be able to deploy because the fairing is open at one end, but KSP has not noticed that.   Probably quicksave/quickload will make KSP notice the open end let the parachute come out for you.

Hey, so are you saying if I make it a non-interstage fairing then it should work? I thought it was since it's at the top of my rocket as the launch escape system, but it might be inadvertently selected as interstage. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

community: “That’s not enough! Prevent us from doing that!”

Any sensible developer: "Sure thing." <replaces KSP by tic tac toe> "There, all risk averted."

KSP's entire paradigm is decidedly about NOT holding players' hands in anything they build or how they use it. Especially not how they use it.

You want to build a rocket with the fiery end pointing up? Sure, have fun pushing the planet. Want to EVA while going Mach 11 through the upper atmosphere? Here, let me pop the hatch for you. I notice you have no chutes on your reentry capsule... but I'm sure you know exactly what you're doing - have a good launch! Heck, we'll even let you deploy your radiator or panel right into hypersonic airflow and watch them shred to a million shiny pieces. (Not antennae though, those need even more special precautions. On the other hand, why should scanners be protected. Deploy away!)

But now wait a minute there, buster: what do you think you're doing trying to open that very same radiator inside a shielded cargo bay? Are you nuts?! Dost thou not understand the concept of 'stowed'? :blink:

They don't prevent us from embedding and 'deploying' those very same parts right through anything solid. But put it in a hollow part that is explicitly coded to behave like a hollow shielded space, and suddenly we need to be forcibly protected from deploying things. And thrusters cannot be allowed to fire either. Because uhm... stowed air is clearly too dense to move through, or burn. Or... something.

Anyway. Enough of a detour. OP's issue is a side-effect of a bug that sneaked into 1.7 (but ultimately the result of that fated dev meeting sever... oh bother.)

Edited by swjr-swis
antennae being the one exception... because consistency.

12 hours ago, OHara said:

Hey thanks that is it, you need to deploy the fairing for now.. It's not nice on asthethics but it gets the boys home safe for now. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.