Latest 1.7.1: Wobbly Ships - Again

Since updating to the latest official build and buying the expansion packs and reinstalling, so it's clean, I'm experiencing huge instability during launches. Doesn't matter what I do most ships will wobble themselves into oblivion. It's nuts. I thought this had been fixed but seemingly not. I'm running with no mods as who needs mods, except for MechJeb, when you've got the two latest expansion pack?

Anyone else noticed this behaviour in the latest update?

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

Could you post a picture of an example ship that has the problem?

And what exactly do you mean by "wobble"? That they're aerodynamically unstable and flip during ascent? Or that they lack stiffness and flop around like a wet noodle? Or something else?

When does the problem occur? Immediately on liftoff? Later on, when you're going fast? How fast and how high?

What was the most recent KSP version that you played where everything seemed to be okay?

Kinda helps to have some information to work with. ;)

If the problem is wet noodle syndrome, then I suggest enabling "advanced tweakables" in the settings of the game, then using one of the autostruct options on some of the parts.  (No idea whether you have already tried that, but your OP is lacking in details).

If you want help, post pictures of your craft.

If you just want to complain, then I'll have to disagree with you. With proper attention to solid design mechanics, I can pretty much get anything I want to orbit, bone-stock or with dozens of mods.

Edited by 5thHorseman

3 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I haven't noticed any change in the stability, rigidity, or aerodynamic qualities of my craft since 1.7.1. 

I did. I had a plane that worked fine in 1.6 go completely crazy in 1.7. In the end, it was an easy fix, but things definitely changed.  

Spoiler

OK, so something definitely changed. Why am I not surprised that your craft were affected? :D

What was the problem and what was the fix?

iirc it was because they "fixed" the bow-tie autostrutting across mirror symmetric parts. Unfortunately the bowtie autostrutting, while apparently unintentional, was useful enough it became a critical design element for a lot of people, so they reverted it or made it into a proper behaviour or did something like that to fix the fix.

21 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

OK, so something definitely changed. Why am I not surprised that your craft were affected? :D

What was the problem and what was the fix?

See video in the hidden content.  It is self explanatory.  I already had autostruts turned on but they did little.   I added several extra real struts to hold it together, most of which I was able to hide.  That seemed to fix it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.