32 members have voted

1. 1. were was it

• Duna (duh)
    • Eve
    • Moho
    • Jool system
    • Dres
    • Eeloo

Were was your first interplanetary mission. Even though I look like a pro I have been only playing for 6 months of ksp but have been following on how to play since 2014 as I was waiting for the never released 3DS version so technically I kinda new how to do it a little bit more than the average newbie. On month 3 I landed on Duna and on month 5 I landed on every planet and moon! But before we get to that let's go to the first interplanetary mission I ever did and that was Dux

Dux for me was probably my favorite lander at the time. I still hadn't even got close to the duna system. Funny story actually I was bored so I decided to make a good concept lander and flew that. I was actually surprised it landed safely and got images. I would probably never ever do such a type of mission ever again since the lander was pretty tall.

So that was my first interplanetary mission and the only Duna mission that landed in the mountains to this date!

So let's see your first interplanetary mission

Well I play nearly only career so my going is slower, my first interplanetary probe mission was to Duna and my first manned one was to Gilly.

7 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Even though I look like a pro

I havn't seen that, anyway

Edited by MiscelanousItem

5 hours ago, MiscelanousItem said:

Well I play nearly only career so my going is slower, my first interplanetary probe mission was to Duna and my first manned one was to Gilly.

I havn't seen that, anyway

Someone thought I was.

Instead of typing it all out again, I'll just link to the WDYDIKSPT post.

Essentially I took an overengineered Mun mission to Duna for no reason, and accidentally left Bill in orbit of Ike.  I was rather new at the game, only had it for about a month-ish.

Mine is here: The Duna orbiter (Y1 D157)

Up until today it remains the only interplanetary mission I ever did. Poor Jeb is still circling Duna, together with scientists Meldon and Orburry. My career is currently at Y3 D085 and I will bring the three back to Kerbin during the next Duna-Kerbin transfer window. Also, I will launch a whole bunch of Duna missions during the Kerbin-Duna window later this year. 

I had a hard time creating a proper Duna encounter on this first trip and ended up with much less fuel due to endless course corrections on my way there. Overengineered as the craft was, I still have enough to return the ship safely. :) 

I still have about 200 days to go before I launch the next mission but as I'm in career mode I try to fill that time with other missions. 

My first mission was too Gilly. (well technically my first one was a one way trip to Eves atmosphere). I designed a Mun and Minmus transport ship built to carry for 3 kerbals and a small payload such as a rover. I noticed it had a obscenely high amount of deltaV and thought I could go to Gilly with it. "My first interplanetary trip how exciting!" So I filled up the payload space with a heatshield so I could aerobrake and I was on my way! I encountered the planet and aerobreaking went perfectly. Unfortunately I underestimated how much fuel going interplanetary took. I ran out of fuel while I was rendezvousing with Gilly...       while my periapsis was still in eves atmosphere. This second pass dident go quite so smoothly. 3 souls were lost to Eves atmosphere that day. But I wasn't one to be defeated by a pathetic dwarf moon! No this time I unleashed my secret weapon...    AN ION POWERED MONSTROSITY!!!!,  and its complimentary lander. This time  I brought 10kms a second of deltaV. Not even I could screw that up! The mission was rather uneventful other than the fact that it was my first interplanetary  successful mission. Probably could have gone without the lander thought. (Sorry I did not take any screenshots of that flight)

Edited by Thatguywhodrinksbleach
Explanation for lack of screenshots

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.