How Long Will KSP Last?

SRB

1) As long as it keeps making enough money to keep the lights on and pay staff, though with a AAA publisher on board you never know when that is. They could axe it tomorrow if they felt like it wasn't "meeting expectations"

2) As long as it remains on sale, which may be many years after the development period has ended, and continued sales justify their minuscule but non-zero hosting and serving costs.

Considering the game's first public release version 0.7.3, was on 24 June 2011, it's already had a long run (granted that was also early release). But compare it to Skyrim which was released November of 2011 (granted they've had a lot more DLC to offer, and it's got a series behind it) they are both games with a lot of momentum behind them.

But overall I believe KSP will stay alive for awhile, hell another 8-15 years between Mods, possible DLC, and just a good fan base.

Or maybe I'm wrong, it is past my bedtime and I'm sleepy.

KSP will be available for exactly 37.295 more standard imperial time units, before it will suddenly, with no explanation whatsoever, be removed from all platforms currently offering it for sale, in addition to the three that have not yet begun to sell it, much less exist.  There will be a large outcry by the community, of course, even greater than the (now legendary) Great Forum Decoupler Revolt of 2021 (RIP to the many users (and both moderators) lost.  We hope that they live forever in the memories of those who survived.  May their stages ever separate cleanly!).  Most of the threads complaining about it will be consolidated by moderators into two main threads, the first titled "Why did T2 stop selling KSP? (and where did Mexico City go, anyway?)", and the much longer thread, called "Why has Harvester returned, and what, exactly, do our new overlord's demands mean?!?"

There will, naturally, be no answers to the many questions posted to these threads, beyond the often repeated coordinates that will ultimately be determined by @[oops, she hasn't created her user account, yet]  to be located at the not-yet unclassified Apollo landing site on the dark side of the moon. (Hail to His Majesty!  Please forgive me, Great One, for I am only revealing what the sacred texts told me was to be known at this time!)

Shortly after THE EVENT, the 12 Holy DLCs will also be removed from the store, as fear and terror envelop the true leaders of the world.

I meant to say: your guess is as good as anyone else's, at this point.

Edited by razark
Edited for reasons. Certainly not because of threats of eternal toruture at the hands of the gre.........................................

• 2 weeks later...

As for downloading, it's completely portable. Try copying your KSP folder, zipping it, and emailing it to a computer without Steam. You can download it and it'll run. So you'll be able to download it for a very, very long time even if Squad is hit by an asteroid and nobody pays their hosting costs, since doubtless if that happened people would be uploading archived folders of every version they had (not just the current update) to the web for safekeeping. Peer to peer downloads of KSP will probably exist for centuries to come. Probably until there is very low demand for them or the internet is no longer extant (post-apocalyptic societies probably don't care about IP law though so you can probably get it on a USB at your neighborhood electronics store) So depending on technological progress, the survival of complex networked society, and interest in old games that could be a very long time. Think "translating it into written languages that haven't yet developed" long time.

Now, legally downloading it from Squad or whoever owns the rights at that point, that's another question. Although I will point out that if you have already bought the game you ought to be able to download it even if it's not from official sources. No crime there.

It basically depends if someone pays their hosting fees after squad disappears. Which barring a meteor impact as mentioned before could be awhile.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.